• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

I earned an STCG of around ₹12 this Financial Year. Should I continue filing ITR-4 to avail 44ADA or file ITR-3 to report this STCG?

@Vaastav and @SSV - Really need your help, if you don't mind please.

I was filing ITR-3 myself, as I noticed that it also has the provision of presumptive income from profession (Section 44ADA).

After filing my income under the 44ADA head, I came across "No Account Cases."
View attachment 59829

View attachment 59830

Here, they are asking the same set of questions they asked before in 44ADA part.

Is it mandatory to fill the section "Add No Account Cases," since it sounds the same as the set of questions asked in 44ADA? I don't remember seeing this section in ITR-4 last year.

Also, thanks to this total ₹12 STCG on debt mutual funds I sold last year, I am still having confusion whether to file my ITR-4 like the last year? Or file ITR-2 instead?

I work as a freelance software developer (14001 profession code and earning from offshore) and filed ITR-4 myself last year, and it was a really smooth process. The return was processed within 4 days. Although under New Regime, I am not liable to pay tax (As it's less than ₹7L), so I can't decide whether I should file under ITR-3 (Heard that they take days or even months to process ITR-3) or file it under ITR-2 as salary income? I have been feeling really demotivated and depressed for days.

I can't even find a CA nearby, and there has not been much of help from online too.

I would really be grateful if you could please help me out. Thanks.
where do you reside?

I was filing ITR-3 myself, as I noticed that it also has the provision of presumptive income from profession (Section 44ADA).

View attachment 59829

View attachment 59830

Here, they are asking the same set of questions they asked before in 44ADA part.

Is it mandatory to fill the section "Add No Account Cases," since it sounds the same as the set of questions asked in 44ADA? I don't remember seeing this section in ITR-4 last year.

Also, thanks to this total ₹12 STCG on debt mutual funds I sold last year, I am still having confusion whether to file my ITR-4 like the last year? Or file ITR-2 instead?

I work as a freelance software developer (14001 profession code and earning from offshore) and filed ITR-4 myself last year, and it was a really smooth process. The return was processed within 4 days. Although under New Regime, I am not liable to pay tax (As it's less than ₹7L), so I can't decide whether I should file under ITR-3 (Heard that they take days or even months to process ITR-3) or file it under ITR-2 as salary income? I have been feeling really demotivated and depressed for days.

I can't even find a CA nearby, and there has not been much of help from online too.

you definitely need a CA's help as it is going to be an ongoing thing..
It is not worth at all to worry about these ITR issues.. we have to concentrate on our earning capacity and CA need to look after all compliance things..
Let me think about it..
Are you planning to hire any CA on the long term basis??

No, I don't. But it would have been better if at least I got the answer to my two questions from any CA at least.
why would any good CA spend time in giving free advices ? just think about it..
If he is good he wont do charity.. if he is doing charity means he is not good..
very rarely you find both the qualities in a single person...

sorry I cant help in your particular case as Iam not a practcing pofessional.. I know principles but Idont use these ITR forms on a daily basis..
just search any CA forums , there may be people that may help... good luck

Last edited:
You're right about it. After all, it's their profession, so they are not ought to do it for free. I understand that.

Anyway, do you have idea what to fill in Gross Profit and Expenses? In the item "Presumptive Income under 44ADA," I had filled ₹6,38,900 and in "Gross Receipts," I had filled ₹6,52,100.

So, what to fill in the fields "Gross Profit" and "Expenses" here? I calculated just my internet bills as expenses (Around ₹13,200), which could come under the field "Expenses" here. But what to fill under the "Gross Profit" here? I input my whole gross income as "Gross Profit", but I don't know if I did it correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.
View attachment 59847
No need to fill profit & loss section. Leave it blank.

View attachment 59829

View attachment 59830

ITR 4 does not have option to show Capital gains and since you have business income you can't file ITR 2, So only option is to file ITR 3 which also has an option for presumptive taxation.

No need to fill profit & loss section. Leave it blank.

ITR 4 does not have option to show Capital gains and since you have business income you can't file ITR 2, So only option is to file ITR 3 which also has an option for presumptive taxation.
Thanks for answering my query. I was filing ITR-3 though.

So, if I leave item 64 (No Account Case) under "Part A - Profit & Loss" (Which also contains the item 62 for computation of 44ADA), that won't be a problem? IDK why it mentions there, "IF REGULAR BOOKS OF ACCOUNT OF BUSINESS OR PROFESSION ARE NOT MAINTAINED, furnish the following information for previous year 2023-24 in respect of business or profession."

1720201902797-png.59877

Attachments

• 1720201902797.png
    1720201902797.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 26
Thanks for answering my query. I was filing ITR-3 though.

So, if I leave item 64 (No Account Case) under "Part A - Profit & Loss" (Which also contains the item 62 for computation of 44ADA), that won't be a problem? IDK why it mentions there, "IF REGULAR BOOKS OF ACCOUNT OF BUSINESS OR PROFESSION ARE NOT MAINTAINED, furnish the following information for previous year 2023-24 in respect of business or profession."

1720201902797-png.59877
No need to fill item 64. Only item 62 needs to be filed in case of presumptive taxation.

You can fill the item 64 to check. Your income probably going to increase when you will save the changes.
You're right though! The income later increases if I fill out the "Gross Profit" and "Expenses" fields. However, when I fill out the item 64iia (Gross Receipts), there isn't any impact. I'm not sure whether to fill it out or leave it completely blank, too.

You're right though! The income later increases if I fill out the "Gross Profit" and "Expenses" fields. However, when I fill out the item 64iia (Gross Receipts), there isn't any impact. I'm not sure whether to fill it out or leave it completely blank, too.
Just leave it blank. I just check my return form, its also blank there.

Now, the validation is giving me two errors:

1720207671409.png

And guess what? When I click on suggestions, it redirects me over to the same page which I posted above in comments, but under "Speculative Activity." I can't comprehend how is it even related to 44ADA?

1720207960486.png

Matlab yeh log chain se jeene bhi nahi denge! :mad:

Just put 0 in an item which is not applicable to you.
Now, the validation is giving me two errors:

View attachment 59903

And guess what? When I click on suggestions, it redirects me over to the same page which I posted above in comments, but under "Speculative Activity." I can't comprehend how is it even related to 44ADA?

View attachment 59904

Matlab yeh log chain se jeene bhi nahi denge! :mad:

I started afresh in one go this time, and got no validation errors! Didn't even touch that "No Account Cases" section.

Last edited:
IT department needs to simplify the experience.
Indeed. Their portal is really buggy, and hasn't even been fixed even after 3 years! Infosys did a really pathetic job at developing it.

What's worse is, their portal alone consumes over 1GB of memory (RAM), essentially causing the whole system with a low RAM to crash at times.

Indeed. Their portal is really buggy, and hasn't even been fixed even after 3 years! Infosys did a really pathetic job at developing it.

What's worse is, their portal alone consumes over 1GB of memory (RAM), essentially causing the whole system with a low RAM to crash at times.
Had it been easier to use most folks might not be afraid to use it.

Most people hire CA just because they are afraid to pay more taxes in case don't understand the clause properly.

Back