• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

I have not activated my card yet SBI card asking me to pay the joining fee before card closure

m1n8

TF Select
I have not activated my SBI card or done any transactions with it, now when I am trying to submit closure request on SBI card app I am being told to clear the outstanding amount, which is the joining fee, before I can submit the closure request. Now my question is do I have to really pay the joining fee? Is there anything that can be done about it? Please suggest appropriate course of action.

Attachments

• IRCTC SBI Card.jpg
    IRCTC SBI Card.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 132
Solution
See here:

Master Direction – Credit Card and Debit Card – Issuance and Conduct Directions, 2022

6. (a)
iv. ... In case, an unsolicited card is issued/existing card upgraded and activated without the explicit consent of the recipient and the latter is billed for the same, the card-issuer shall not only reverse the charges forthwith, but also pay a penalty without demur to the recipient amounting to twice the value of the charges reversed. In addition, the person in whose name the card is issued can also approach the RBI Ombudsman who would determine the amount of compensation payable by the card-issuer to the recipient of the unsolicited card as per the provisions of the Ombudsman Scheme, i.e., for loss of complainant’s time...
I have not activated my SBI card or done any transactions with it, now when I am trying to submit closure request on SBI card app I am being told to clear the outstanding amount, which is the joining fee, before I can submit the closure request. Now my question is do I have to really pay the joining fee? Is there anything that can be done about it? Please suggest appropriate course of action.
whether you want to close it or not you will have to pay the fees. call customer care to close the card after paying and they might refund you the fees else close it

Call customer care and tell them to connect me to card closure team then explain your issue to them. They most probably will refund your fees and tell them that if you reverse my fees I will be able to continue .... then the decision is up to you

I don't need you need to pay if you haven't activated it. But in your case, since you are trying to close via app it could deem you activated the card. Take a risk and wait for a month. You will be asked to activate the card again. If you get such a message just ignore. Else you may have to pay up

I don't need you need to pay if you haven't activated it. But in your case, since you are trying to close via app it could deem you activated the card. Take a risk and wait for a month. You will be asked to activate the card again. If you get such a message just ignore. Else you may have to pay up
Problem is card comes pre-activated. I never activated POS/ATM Transaction, it comes with pre-activated status..

I think nowadays, once we receive new card and we don't set pin/permissions for transactions then bank keep sending you sms reminder to activate the card. Not sure how one can get pre-activated card.

I think nowadays, once we receive new card and we don't set pin/permissions for transactions then bank keep sending you sms reminder to activate the card. Not sure how one can get pre-activated card.
Only Online/Contactless/International Transactions are disabled,where we need to activate it manually.Other transactions is auto-activated.We can deactivate it though..

Frankly speaking, they shouldn't activate joining fee,if not used their services.

See here:

Master Direction – Credit Card and Debit Card – Issuance and Conduct Directions, 2022

6. (a)
iv. ... In case, an unsolicited card is issued/existing card upgraded and activated without the explicit consent of the recipient and the latter is billed for the same, the card-issuer shall not only reverse the charges forthwith, but also pay a penalty without demur to the recipient amounting to twice the value of the charges reversed. In addition, the person in whose name the card is issued can also approach the RBI Ombudsman who would determine the amount of compensation payable by the card-issuer to the recipient of the unsolicited card as per the provisions of the Ombudsman Scheme, i.e., for loss of complainant’s time, expenses incurred, harassment and mental anguish suffered by him/her.

vi. Card-issuers shall seek One Time Password (OTP) based consent from the cardholder for activating a credit card, if the same has not been activated by the customer for more than 30 days from the date of issuance. If no consent is received for activating the card, card-issuers shall close the credit card account without any cost to the customer within seven working days from date of seeking confirmation from the customer. In case of a renewed or replaced card, the closure of an inactivated card shall be subject to payment of all dues by the cardholder.

vii. No card-issuer shall report any credit information relating to a new credit card account to Credit Information Companies prior to activation of the card. Any credit information relating to such inactivated credit cards already reported to Credit Information Companies shall be withdrawn immediately; under no circumstances it shall take more than 30 days from the effective date of these directions.

viii. The consent for the cards issued or the other products/services offered along with the card shall be explicit and shall not be implied. In other words, the written consent of the applicant shall be required before issuing a credit card. Alternatively, card-issuers may use other digital modes with multifactor authentication to obtain explicit customer consent. Such alternative digital modes, if any used by the card-issuer, shall be communicated to the Department of Regulation, Reserve Bank of India.

Solution
See here:

6. (a)
iv. ... In case, an unsolicited card is issued/existing card upgraded and activated without the explicit consent of the recipient and the latter is billed for the same, the card-issuer shall not only reverse the charges forthwith, but also pay a penalty without demur to the recipient amounting to twice the value of the charges reversed. In addition, the person in whose name the card is issued can also approach the RBI Ombudsman who would determine the amount of compensation payable by the card-issuer to the recipient of the unsolicited card as per the provisions of the Ombudsman Scheme, i.e., for loss of complainant’s time, expenses incurred, harassment and mental anguish suffered by him/her.

vi. Card-issuers shall seek One Time Password (OTP) based consent from the cardholder for activating a credit card, if the same has not been activated by the customer for more than 30 days from the date of issuance. If no consent is received for activating the card, card-issuers shall close the credit card account without any cost to the customer within seven working days from date of seeking confirmation from the customer. In case of a renewed or replaced card, the closure of an inactivated card shall be subject to payment of all dues by the cardholder.

vii. No card-issuer shall report any credit information relating to a new credit card account to Credit Information Companies prior to activation of the card. Any credit information relating to such inactivated credit cards already reported to Credit Information Companies shall be withdrawn immediately; under no circumstances it shall take more than 30 days from the effective date of these directions.

viii. The consent for the cards issued or the other products/services offered along with the card shall be explicit and shall not be implied. In other words, the written consent of the applicant shall be required before issuing a credit card. Alternatively, card-issuers may use other digital modes with multifactor authentication to obtain explicit customer consent. Such alternative digital modes, if any used by the card-issuer, shall be communicated to the Department of Regulation, Reserve Bank of India.
OK! Thanks! So, would calling up customer care would be a good idea in this regard or sending a mail? Sending a mail would mean that I will have some written proof, if at all things come to, me filing complaint with Banking Ombudsman.

See here:

6. (a)

Thanks for sharing.
OK! Thanks! So, would calling up customer care would be a good idea in this regard or sending a mail? Sending a mail would mean that I will have some written proof, if at all things come to, me filing complaint with Banking Ombudsman.
Call customer care and tell them you don't want the card and not willing to activate it for whatever reason. They should be able to. If not, email. Even if email doesn't work then Principal nodal officer.

Back