• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

I have not activated my card yet SBI card asking me to pay the joining fee before card closure

m1n8

TF Select
I have not activated my SBI card or done any transactions with it, now when I am trying to submit closure request on SBI card app I am being told to clear the outstanding amount, which is the joining fee, before I can submit the closure request. Now my question is do I have to really pay the joining fee? Is there anything that can be done about it? Please suggest appropriate course of action.

Attachments

• IRCTC SBI Card.jpg
    IRCTC SBI Card.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 132
Solution
See here:

Master Direction – Credit Card and Debit Card – Issuance and Conduct Directions, 2022

6. (a)
iv. ... In case, an unsolicited card is issued/existing card upgraded and activated without the explicit consent of the recipient and the latter is billed for the same, the card-issuer shall not only reverse the charges forthwith, but also pay a penalty without demur to the recipient amounting to twice the value of the charges reversed. In addition, the person in whose name the card is issued can also approach the RBI Ombudsman who would determine the amount of compensation payable by the card-issuer to the recipient of the unsolicited card as per the provisions of the Ombudsman Scheme, i.e., for loss of complainant’s time...
I think this would be the same variant of Rupay.

Both seem to be the same to me. Just the difference of visa and rupay and nothing else.

Maybe the rewards such as travel golf dining and other entertainment options from Rupay could make a difference.

It is a good card and if you cancel it, then maybe sbi won't give you another one. Just think before placing a cancel request.

You will be getting 350 welcome bonus points also, therefore the net effect would be Rs 240.00 out of your pocket.

Just my thoughts,

I have not activated my SBI card or done any transactions with it, now when I am trying to submit closure request on SBI card app I am being told to clear the outstanding amount, which is the joining fee, before I can submit the closure request. Now my question is do I have to really pay the joining fee? Is there anything that can be done about it? Please suggest appropriate course of action.
not a attractive card just call the customer care make a return of your fees and keep them
for upgrade

nope...fought with retention team and they waived off
Called up customer care and asked the executive to connect me to the retention team. I straight away told them that I have not activated the card then why am I being charged with the joining fee, clearly mentioning that it is clear violation of the RBI guidelines. The executive told me he will reverse the joining fees and told me to call the customer care again in few days to get the card flipped (as I can clearly see on SBI card site that VIsa variant and RuPay variant are 2 different cards). Thanks for your guidance.

Called up customer care and asked the executive to connect me to the retention team. I straight away told them that I have not activated the card then why am I being charges with the joining fee, clearly mentioning that it is clear violation of the RBI guidelines. The executive told me he will reverse the joining fees and told me to call the customer care again in few days to get the card flipped (as I can clearly see on SBI card site that VIsa variant and RuPay variant are 2 different cards). Thanks for your guidance.
hehe...i also recd bpcl octane and they waived off ..wont be doing any transaction for year ...heard that sbi gives LE who doesnt use much..time to experiment...if no LE will transfer the limit to my simply save and close it

I have received a Yes Bank credit (asked for a RuPay variant, gave me visa one) and now I don't want it. It has ₹399 as joining (waived off on ₹10k spend) and same annual fees. Should I am thinking of keeping it inactivated and wait for its closure after 37 days. Will I be levied any charge (joining and/or annual fees)?

Back