• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

I paid the bill to the wrong credit card number and recovered it back

iamabhisekagar

TF Legend
Hi,
Recently, I acquired an LTF Tata Neu Plus CC. Now I generally use Cred for making my credit card bill payments.
So, when its first bill of Rs 2630 was generated on 1 June 2023, I used Cred to pay the bill on 17th June 2023 (Saturday).
However, the amount was not credited as of 19th June 2023 (Monday). I became sceptical and made another payment of Rs 10 to check whether it was getting settled or not and it didn't.
On the 20th I contacted Cred via Twitter:
Cred 1.png

I received a call from Cred Customer Service the same day. He asked me whether Rs 1 was credited to the card when I added the card details to the Cred app for the first time. I checked and found that I had not received Rs 1 for the same. Now Since Tokenisation got implemented, the Cred Customer Service guy was unable to tell me what Card number I had entered in the app.
So, he asked me to remove the said card and add that card again to verify whether the card removed and the card added were the same or different. I did the same, and he informed me that I had paid the amount to the wrong credit card number.

Now, generally whenever you make a transaction, a UTR (Unique Transaction Reference) is attached to it. For better understanding kindly refer to the link:

Whenever you use Cred to make a Credit Card bill payment. The amount that you pay is transferred to Cred's Bank Account. And then Cred Transfers the amount from its Bank account to the Credit Card. Hence, a single bill payment via Cred is a 2 transaction affair.

So, The Customer Service guy provided me with the UTR numbers for the payment of Rs 2630 and Rs 10 they made to the wrong card and asked me to contact bank (HDFC in my case).:
Cred 2.png

So, I drafted an email and sent it to pnohdfcbank@hdfcbank.com providing the necessary details:

Cred 3.png

The next day I received a call from the Bank, I explained the entire situation to them and they registered a service request. A few days later, I received the following mail from the bank in which they confirmed that the payment went to an invalid Card number and it shall be reversed in 7-10 days.

Cred 4.png

As explained above, the reversal of the payment by the Bank will get credited to Cred's bank Account. So, again I contacted Cred via Twitter and provided them with the screenshot of the above mail.
3 days later, Cred Customer Service called again and asked me to obtain the following from Bank:
1. last 4 digits of the acc no
2. reversal date
3. Amount
4. Reversal UTR number

I again emailed the Bank asking for the same

:
Cred 5.png

On July 4th, the bank provided me with the details which I forwarded to Cred via Twitter as well as via Email.
On July 5th, Cred reversed Rs 2630 and Rs 10 to my bank account.

Hi,
Recently, I acquired an LTF Tata Neu Plus CC. Now I generally use Cred for making my credit card bill payments.
So, when its first bill of Rs 2630 was generated on 1 June 2023, I used Cred to pay the bill on 17th June 2023 (Saturday).
However, the amount was not credited as of 19th June 2023 (Monday). I became sceptical and made another payment of Rs 10 to check whether it was getting settled or not and it didn't.
On the 20th I contacted Cred via Twitter:
View attachment 21891

I received a call from Cred Customer Service the same day. He asked me whether Rs 1 was credited to the card when I added the card details to the Cred app for the first time. I checked and found that I had not received Rs 1 for the same. Now Since Tokenisation got implemented, the Cred Customer Service guy was unable to tell me what Card number I had entered in the app.
So, he asked me to remove the said card and add that card again to verify whether the card removed and the card added were the same or different. I did the same, and he informed me that I had paid the amount to the wrong credit card number.

Now, generally whenever you make a transaction, a UTR (Unique Transaction Reference) is attached to it. For better understanding kindly refer to the link:

Whenever you use Cred to make a Credit Card bill payment. The amount that you pay is transferred to Cred's Bank Account. And then Cred Transfers the amount from its Bank account to the Credit Card. Hence, a single bill payment via Cred is a 2 transaction affair.

So, The Customer Service guy provided me with the UTR numbers for the payment of Rs 2630 and Rs 10 they made to the wrong card and asked me to contact bank (HDFC in my case).:
View attachment 21894

So, I drafted an email and sent it to pnohdfcbank@hdfcbank.com providing the necessary details:

View attachment 21895

The next day I received a call from the Bank, I explained the entire situation to them and they registered a service request. A few days later, I received the following mail from the bank in which they confirmed that the payment went to an invalid Card number and it shall be reversed in 7-10 days.

View attachment 21898

As explained above, the reversal of the payment by the Bank will get credited to Cred's bank Account. So, again I contacted Cred via Twitter and provided them with the screenshot of the above mail.
3 days later, Cred Customer Service called again and asked me to obtain the following from Bank:
1. last 4 digits of the acc no
2. reversal date
3. Amount
4. Reversal UTR number

I again emailed the Bank asking for the same

:
View attachment 21899

On July 4th, the bank provided me with the details which I forwarded to Cred via Twitter as well as via Email.
On July 5th, Cred reversed Rs 2630 and Rs 10 to my bank account.
In your case Amount was transferred to an Invalid Card number, otherwise you have to do struggle to get the Amount Back from the Person to whom Card Account Payment is credited.

Anyway a Good learning for others before making CC Bill Payment ,Verify Card Number Thrice.

Last edited:
Last year, I also made a wrong payment of 46000 something via postpe. Messed up card details by entering first 12 digits of one card and last 4 digits of the other card.
Realised it later on and it took 32 E-mails and 17 days to get the money back. The only relief was that the payment was made to an invalid card number. So, there was no real Credit Card account where money was deposited.
Also, Postpe does not have a Phone Number to call, I used to mail them requesting a callback and then they used to call me next day.
So, bit long and exhausting process, but got my money back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-03-08-11-34-06-88_25e8b8c980e00e5399cdfb0a4e559e86.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-03-08-11-34-06-88_25e8b8c980e00e5399cdfb0a4e559e86.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot (226).png
    Screenshot (226).png
    18.9 KB · Views: 45
Same problem with me.
Made a payment to my ICICI credit card using CRED, with incorrect credit card number, but proper Expiry date and CVV.
First payment was done on Nov1st, but didn't realise that the payment was not done to my credit card. But saw it on next cycle as the payment miss charges was added to next cycle and was shocked.

Its 21st Dec and still struggling with ICICI bank to get the issue resolved.
They gave 2 UTRs, for Nov1st UTR the bank confirmed that the payment was done to a wrong credit card, but for second UTR (Dec1 transaction) they are saying that the UTR not exists.

I don't understand one thing, if I had entered wrong credit card number but with correct Expiry date and CVV, how did they request for bill payment with the right amount? The amount for the bill was same as the one showed in CRED. Don't know how they are making such blunder.

After I saw this thread today, I have sent a mail to ICICI bank, hopefully they will contact me back.

Hope I get my money back.

Glad I'm not the only one facing this issue.

Same problem with me.
Made a payment to my ICICI credit card using CRED, with incorrect credit card number, but proper Expiry date and CVV.
First payment was done on Nov1st, but didn't realise that the payment was not done to my credit card. But saw it on next cycle as the payment miss charges was added to next cycle and was shocked.

They gave 2 UTRs, for Nov1st UTR the bank confirmed that the payment was done to a wrong credit card, but for second UTR (Dec1 transaction) they are saying that the UTR not exists.

I don't understand one thing, if I had entered wrong credit card number but with correct Expiry date and CVV, how did they request for bill payment with the right amount? The amount for the bill was same as the one showed in CRED. Don't know how they are making such blunder.

After I saw this thread today, I have sent a mail to ICICI bank, hopefully they will contact me back.

Cred confirms card first by making a transaction of Rs2. How you verified your card with wrong digits then?

I have been facing the same issue, with ICICI credit card. For a month I thought I had paid the bill, only to realise that amount had been sent to wrong credit card (CRED says this). I don't understand how the wrong card got registered with CRED, and also if wrong card was input how come it showed right bill to me. And with so many checks and balances, Name,CVV, expiry date and registered phone number, how come the amount got transferred to different credit card?!

CRED says I need to check with the bank as the amount may have been deposited in the suspense account. When I called ICICI and gave them UTR provided by CRED, they replied that there was no payment done. Moreover they asked me to provide list of other documents for proof. Here's the list as mentioned by ICICI:

"We request you to check your Savings Bank (SB) account if the amount has been debited. In case, the amount is debited we request you to send us SB account statement with IFSC code from date of payment to till date , scan document(s) in black and white, using a resolution of 300dpi, and send us the same along with below details,
Mode of Payment :
Date of Transaction :
Other Bank account Number :
Name of the other Bank :
Payment Amount :
In case of NEFT payment :
*Transaction No :
*IFSC code of other bank :
ARN Number : (In case of Visa Money Transfer)
Reference Number: (In case of Click to pay - 14 digit alpha numeric)
RRN Number:(12 digit number generated on making UPI payment)
VPA Number (ccpay.16digitcardno@icici), in case of Wallet payments through CRED, Googlepay, Paytm, Mobikwik etc.
We request you to provide wallet screen shot of payment receipt."

With due date approaching (2nd Jan), with late fees + interest levied, (+ due amount for payment done in this month using the same credit card ), I am not sure how to exactly proceed. While my dues from previous bill cycle shows not paid(which I paid using CRED), is it possible to settle just latest bill separately independent of previous bill? Other option is just pay the minimum due amount, this will lead to levy of interest on outstanding amount, but atleast credit scores won't be affected.

I have been facing the same issue, with ICICI credit card. For a month I thought I had paid the bill, only to realise that amount had been sent to wrong credit card (CRED says this). I don't understand how the wrong card got registered with CRED, and also if wrong card was input how come it showed right bill to me. And with so many checks and balances, Name,CVV, expiry date and registered phone number, how come the amount got transferred to different credit card?!

CRED says I need to check with the bank as the amount may have been deposited in the suspense account. When I called ICICI and gave them UTR provided by CRED, they replied that there was no payment done. Moreover they asked me to provide list of other documents for proof. Here's the list as mentioned by ICICI:

"We request you to check your Savings Bank (SB) account if the amount has been debited. In case, the amount is debited we request you to send us SB account statement with IFSC code from date of payment to till date , scan document(s) in black and white, using a resolution of 300dpi, and send us the same along with below details,
Mode of Payment :
Date of Transaction :
Name of the other Bank :
Payment Amount :
*Transaction No :
VPA Number (ccpay.16digitcardno@icici), in case of Wallet payments through CRED, Googlepay, Paytm, Mobikwik etc.

With due date approaching (2nd Jan), with late fees + interest levied, (+ due amount for payment done in this month using the same credit card ), I am not sure how to exactly proceed. While my dues from previous bill cycle shows not paid(which I paid using CRED), is it possible to settle just latest bill separately independent of previous bill? Other option is just pay the minimum due amount, this will lead to levy of interest on outstanding amount, but atleast credit scores won't be affected.
don't keep your bill pending. Pay the whole outstanding.
What if you receive refund in your savings account then definitely it would not be counted as a payment against your dues

Mode of Payment :
Date of Transaction :
Name of the other Bank :
Payment Amount :
*Transaction No :

for all practical purposes assume your bill was not paid and then processed accordingly.

I paid the bill , which cut a hole in pocket as the amount was substantial. Neither bank nor CRED is taking up the responsibility. I know I'll have to bear the burden of the late fees + interest on my own, but it's a lesson, think multiple times before using 3rd party apps like CRED, it's never a wise idea to have a middle man between bank and you.

Let's see if and when refund payment is reverted, ready for a long haul. Will keep you posted. Thanks.

Mode of Payment :
Date of Transaction :
Name of the other Bank :
Payment Amount :
*Transaction No :

The same happening to me, To avoid the late payment second time on dec1st I paid it again via icici bank app itself.
I'll pay future payment in the bank app itself.
I have shared the transactions details with the UTR too, to the bank but they are still asking for the IFSC and bank details as you said for multiple times.
Need to see how long they will take to revert the payment.

Update on my issue.
There was a notice from the bank stating that they would get back to me after 8 working days on Dec 29th after an investigation and no update was provided till yesterday.
So When I checked the status while escalating the issue one level up I saw that my issue was closed without any proper update on it.
After escalating the issue yesterday I got a mail today morning stating that the issue will be resolved upon proper enquiry in 2 days.
But after around 5hrs got another mail stating that a correction would be made and the amount for both transactions would be reverted back to my credit card in a few hours.
Hope it will reflect soon.

Note: The additional amount paid for the non-payment of the credit card will be borne by me as it was my fault that I did not pay the amount on time.

In my case, ICICI replied by saying that the owner of the credit card to which my amount was transferred, has refused to debit back the amount? Can't bank reverse the wrongfully done transaction? They are asking me to file an FIR from my end against the person to whose cc money was transferred. But I have no details of that person!!

And about Cred, that haven't replied to any of my mail since a week!! :(

In my case, ICICI replied by saying that the owner of the credit card to which my amount was transferred, has refused to debit back the amount? Can't bank reverse the wrongfully done transaction? They are asking me to file an FIR from my end against the person to whose cc money was transferred. But I have no details of that person!!

And about Cred, that haven't replied to any of my mail since a week!! :(
What's the bill amount?

Same problem with me.

Bro I have the same issue I paid the credit card bill of someone on phonepe using my state bank of India account after few days I got to know that I paid for someone bill I don't know what to do when I contacted axis bank I paid axis card bill they asked me the proofs I sent them all the proof of my bank statement and phonepe screen shot I again got a mail saying we want the wrong credit card bill number but In phonepe I only have the last 4 digits I don't know how that happend I paid to my card only but don't know how it paid to wrong credit card bill any help bro

Back