• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.
I recently posted about My ICICI Emeralde Private Metal card. You can read it here - https://www.technofino.in/community...ome-emeralde-metal-private.25095/#post-594287.

And as I promised there, I am posting about my application process here.

The application process:
  • The relationship - I am an ICICI Wealth account holder courtesy my old salary account and the fact that all my home, car loans have been through ICICI Bank only. My AQB for ICICI is less than 10k since couple of years now. But I still have a home loan with them with a relatively low outstanding amount.
  • The invite - I had no upgrade/invite offer for the card. I had gone to my local branch for some home loan regarding query when I met the branch manager. We were having a chat about finance in general when I casually slipped in the thought that how ICICI is so far behind in the credit card game and how HDFC & Axis both have them beat. So then he asked me about the cards I hold from both banks (INFINIA & Magnus Burgundy) with their limits. He also mentioned about this new card called Emeralde Private Metal thats actually more exclusive than INFINIA and how it's only offered to a few wealth customers. He asked me if I would be interested in the card and obviously I said Yes.
  • The catch - He said since the card is invite only and I haven't received an upgrade/invite directly he would need to take approvals (4 in total) even before my application was processed and this might take around a month or so. He also clearly mentioned that even though he would put a good word there are no guarantees that the card would be issued. I gave him a thumbs up to proceed.
  • Application Process
    • He asked one of the guys in the cc team to get the following details from me (soft copies)
      • Salary slip last 3 months
      • INFINIA statement (since it had the highest credit limit)
      • 6 months bank statement (salary account)
      • ITR (3 years - optional)
      • I was also asked to drop an email stating that I want this card and would be willing to pay the annual fees for the same [Little weird, but I know how banks work so I quickly dashed off an email from my personal id]
    • Once all documents were provided begin a ~1 month approval process
      • After around 1-2 weeks, I got a call that 2 approval were received and 2 were pending.
      • I don't exactly know who were these 4 approvers but I remember correctly he mentioned 2 approvals need to come from ICICI CC Mumbai Head and then ICICI CC Division India head. [I don't fully remember but I think these were the designations]
      • Again got a call after another week that one last approval is pending.
      • Then just 3-4 days back I got a call saying all approvals were received and he would proceed with the application now.
    • As a part of the official application process, I had to do the following:
      • Provide my Adhaar and do a home biometric KYC.
      • Drop a message "ACT YES" from my official mobile to some ICICI number.
      • Verify my official email id [by providing the OTP received on the email]
      • Within a day of doing this, I could see the application on IMobile [Services -> Credit Cards -> Track my application]
    • Within next 2 days
      • First the card was generated and visible on IMobile
      • Next day got an email saying the card was dispatched via courier and received it the day after.
  • Rewards and benefits:
    • There is already an official review for this, so I'll just talk about benefits that I'll probably use.
    • Taj Epicure with 1N stay - My epicure membership expires this month so definitely saves me ~30k
    • 12500 Rewards points to offset the fees.
    • Unlimited domestic and international lounge access - For primary as well as supplementary card holders. My parents don't have CC's so will see if I can get the supplementary cards for them.
    • Rewards on insurance transaction - With Axis devaluation, this would help as I'll move my insurance spends here.
    • Flat reward structure like INFINIA - 3%
    • It comes with free cancellation up to 12k worth of flights/hotels. Might be useful for domestic tickets when travel plans are dicey.
    • No cash withdrawal fee, over limit or late payment charges.
    • The Metal card feels better to touch than INFINIA - ICICI & Emeralde Private engraving is classy. Feels really premium in the hand. Only thing I could nitpick was the card holder name engraving isn't the same quality as ICICI & Emeralde private engraving.

Footnotes:
  • Throughout the month long application process, I never tried to contact the branch for a status. Since I was told it would take around a month, I was patient with it.
  • Even though I badly wanted the card, had the application been rejected for any reason, my relationship with the bank would have still remained the same. Would have just asked the reason for rejection and accepted it. Even though it's a rare card, at the end of the day it's JUST A CARD.
  • I don't do banking relationships based on give/take or fear. Never threatened a bank or RM that I'll shift my business elsewhere if they don't do something for me. As a result, I have excellent relationships with 3 major banks - ICICI, HDFC & Axis. My personal experience - people generally do more for you out of love than fear.
  • Never bothered to ask about the criteria for FYF or LTF since the card benefits are worth the fees.
  • For anyone wishing to apply, I think the best bet is to visit your local branch and get in touch with the branch manager or CC team there.

Attachments

• tempImageWlZm5v.png
    tempImageWlZm5v.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 83
A BM going to such lengths for approvals? What's your NRV if I may ask?
Like I said I have given ICICI a lot of business in the past - All my home loans and car loans were done through them. The cumulative amount of these loans is more than twice the NRV required that I have seen the people in this forum post.
Currently my NRV is just a loan outstanding of less than 40L currently.

Last edited: