• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

IDFC First Bank is Not Following RBI Guidelines

TechnoFinoTechnoFino is verified member.

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
Hello TFCians,

Recently, I applied for the IDFC First Mayura Credit Card just for review purposes, as this card is not value for money, as I mentioned in my review article. I only planned to hold it for the first year. I've written a detailed review of this product, which you can check here: https://www.technofino.in/community...eview-is-it-truly-a-super-premium-card.31050/

After applying for the credit card, my application was approved within seconds, and the Mayura card began reflecting on my IDFC First mobile app within minutes. I hadn't activated the card, nor had I created a PIN. Essentially, I just applied, got approved, and did nothing further. Five days later, my Mayura card was delivered. Upon checking the IDFC First Bank app after delivery, I was shocked to find a charge of ₹7,078.82 on my Mayura card.

WhatsApp Image 2024-09-10 at 12.05.37 AM.webp

Master Direction – Credit Card and Debit Card – Issuance and Conduct Directions, 2022 (Updated as on March 07, 2024)
6. Issue of Credit Cards
(a) Customer Acquisition:
vi. Card-issuers shall seek One Time Password (OTP) based consent from the cardholder for activating a credit card, if the same has not been activated by the customer for more than 30 days from the date of issuance. If no consent is received for activating the card, card-issuers shall close the credit card account without any cost to the customer within seven working days from date of seeking confirmation from the customer. In case of a renewed or replaced card, the closure of an inactivated card shall be subject to payment of all dues by the cardholder.
According to RBI guidelines, the bank cannot charge a joining fee until you activate the card. I decided not to activate the card and raised the issue with IDFC First Bank to understand why they weren't adhering to the guidelines.

To my further surprise, the next day, I received an SMS from CIBIL informing me that a new account had been added to my CIBIL report. When I checked my report, I found that IDFC First Bank had added the IDFC First Mayura credit card account, even though I hadn't activated the card yet.

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 11.49.58 PM.webp

Master Direction – Credit Card and Debit Card – Issuance and Conduct Directions, 2022 (Updated as on March 07, 2024)
6. Issue of Credit Cards
(a) Customer Acquisition:
vii. No card-issuer shall report any credit information relating to a new credit card account to Credit Information Companies prior to activation of the card. Any credit information relating to such inactivated credit cards already reported to Credit Information Companies shall be withdrawn immediately; under no circumstances it shall take more than 30 days from the effective date of these directions.

As per RBI guidelines, the bank cannot add a newly opened credit card account to CIBIL or any other credit bureau report until the customer activates the card. But IDFC First Bank is doing the opposite. I don’t understand how such a well-established bank can fail to follow such basic guidelines.

While I know the rule and won’t accept any justification from the bank, many people may not be aware of these regulations and could be misled by the banks themselves. The RBI should take strict action against such banks to ensure they adhere to the guidelines, and banks must start following the rules out of fear of stringent action from the RBI.

Update on 11th September 2024:

I received a call from IDFC First Bank on 10th September 2024, informing me that they are working on the complaint and feedback I raised on social media and will provide a solution soon. On 11th September 2024 morning, I received another call from the senior executive team, stating that they had reviewed my issue with their concerned department.

The senior executive informed me that IDFC First Bank is fully complying with RBI guidelines. She explained:

1. Regarding Joining Fees: When applying for the Mayura credit card, it is clearly mentioned that the fees will be charged immediately, but customers are allowed to pay the fees after the statement is generated.
  2. Regarding Credit Reporting: As per RBI guidelines, the bank has reported my Mayura credit card to CIBIL. She cited two reasons:
    • If a bank issues a "fee-based" card, it is allowed to report it to CIBIL even if the card is not activated.
    • My card was activated on 2nd September 2024, when I logged into the IDFC First Bank mobile app and checked the credit card section. According to the executive team, logging in and clicking on the credit card section is considered consent for activating the new card.
I was genuinely amazed by her response and found myself speechless. Then, I told her that I needed everything she said in writing via email. I also pointed out that the RBI's master guidelines for credit and debit cards do not classify cards as "fee-based" or "free." Where are they getting this information from? Furthermore, according to RBI guidelines, there are specific actions that count as consent for activating credit cards, and merely logging into the mobile app or clicking on the credit card section does not qualify as consent.

I also mentioned that just because you state the joining fees will be charged immediately doesn’t mean you’re allowed to do so. If the card has to be closed after 30 days if a customer doesn’t activate it, why post the joining fees in the first place? And why report the posted joining fees as an outstanding balance to CIBIL?

After the call, I was in disbelief at how a bank like IDFC First could take the regulator’s guidelines so lightly. I would definitely like to speak to their compliance head to better understand their perspective on this matter. As of now, while writing this post, I still haven't received any email from IDFC First Bank, despite the executive assuring me that I would receive one after the call.

For everyone's reference, here are the RBI guidelines regarding card activation consent:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Query 3. What can be considered as activation of credit card?

Response: Customer-initiated process indicating intent to use a credit card such as PIN generation, modification of transaction control, Interactive Voice Response, recorded call to the customer care centre and SMS may be considered as activation. However, if the card is not activated by the cardholder for more than 30 days from the date of issuance, card-issuers shall seek One Time Password (OTP) based consent in line with para 6(a)(vi) of the MD.

Many people are experiencing issues with non-compliance from banks. After my post, several individuals shared that other banks had also charged their accounts before card activation and reported their new accounts to CIBIL prematurely. It’s high time the RBI steps in and takes strict action against such banks or card issuers to protect customers' interests. Ultimately, the RBI exists to safeguard customers like us.

Update on 12th September, 2024:

IDFC First Bank called me yesterday evening to explain the situation, and I understand their perspective. However, I still don’t agree with them and believe IDFC First Bank needs to resolve the issue.

Rahul explained that they activate the card based on the "customer's intention to use the card." If a customer opens the IDFC First Bank credit card section and clicks on the newly approved card, they activate it and report it to CIBIL.

However, this process doesn’t align with the guidelines, and Rahul assured me that feedback from myself and others who raised this issue will be discussed with top-level management, and they will work on improving the process.

Rahul was very humble and even offered me some reward points for highlighting the issue, but I believe solving the problem would be more valuable than receiving free points. I respectfully declined his offer and simply requested that he share my feedback with the management team. Today, I received an email from IDFC First Bank informing me that they have reversed the joining fee.

Screenshot_20240912_220429_Gmail.webp

I often highlight issues with banks, but only a few have the courage to acknowledge their mistakes, take customer feedback seriously, and act on it. A few months ago, I thanked IDFC First Bank for this, and I would like to thank them again for listening to their customers. Hopefully, they will resolve the issue soon.

Last edited:
Hello TFCians,

Recently, I applied for the IDFC First Mayura Credit Card just for review purposes, as this card is not value for money, as I mentioned in my review article. I only planned to hold it for the first year. I've written a detailed review of this product, which you can check here: https://www.technofino.in/community...eview-is-it-truly-a-super-premium-card.31050/

After applying for the credit card, my application was approved within seconds, and the Mayura card began reflecting on my IDFC First mobile app within minutes. I hadn't activated the card, nor had I created a PIN. Essentially, I just applied, got approved, and did nothing further. Five days later, my Mayura card was delivered. Upon checking the IDFC First Bank app after delivery, I was shocked to find a charge of ₹7,078.82 on my Mayura card.

View attachment 68278

According to RBI guidelines, the bank cannot charge a joining fee until you activate the card. I decided not to activate the card and raised the issue with IDFC First Bank to understand why they weren't adhering to the guidelines.

To my further surprise, the next day, I received an SMS from CIBIL informing me that a new account had been added to my CIBIL report. When I checked my report, I found that IDFC First Bank had added the IDFC First Mayura credit card account, even though I hadn't activated the card yet.

View attachment 68277

As per RBI guidelines, the bank cannot add a newly opened credit card account to CIBIL or any other credit bureau report until the customer activates the card. But IDFC First Bank is doing the opposite. I don’t understand how such a well-established bank can fail to follow such basic guidelines.

While I know the rule and won’t accept any justification from the bank, many people may not be aware of these regulations and could be misled by the banks themselves. The RBI should take strict action against such banks to ensure they adhere to the guidelines, and banks must start following the rules out of fear of stringent action from the RBI.
Dada tum sangharsh karo hum tumhare sath hai

The same thing happened to me. After getting the Cibil notification I called the CC and asked them to close my Mayura Card they politely took the request and when I asked why they have charged me and reported my card without activation. She said as the card was approved we have charged you for that and don't worry first we will take CC fee reversal request and within 7 days it will be done then the card will be closed.
I only activated the Ashva card.
Hello TFCians,

View attachment 68278

View attachment 68277

The same thing happened to me. After getting the Cibil notification I called the CC and asked them to close my Mayura Card they politely took the request and when I asked why they have charged me and reported my card without activation. She said as the card was approved we have charged you for that and don't worry first we will take CC fee reversal request and within 7 days it will be done then the card will be closed.
I only activated the Ashva card.
But what about an extra CC loan entry in bureau?

Hello TFCians,

View attachment 68278

View attachment 68277

I am facing a similar situation with RBL cards.
In my case the card is LTF, so no charges.
But the card started showing up in CIBIL as soon as it was approved. I didn't activate the card because of a bad limit. It's been more than 2 months and it's still showing up in my CIBIL and their app. Seems like they activated it without my consent.
I have escalated this with their CEO team. Now they are looking at it. I will wait till this weekend before reaching to Ombudsman with all the proofs.

Not sure. Will wait for @TechnoFino for an update on the matter from the bank side.
Was thinking of writing a thread on the matter.
Thanks, @TechnoFino for pointing this out to a larger audience.
Actually you can ask IDFC First bank to remove the entry from your CIBIL, RBI has clearly mentioned that if bank added a credit account before card activation, they have to remove the account from cibil within 30 days.

Actually you can ask IDFC First bank to remove the entry from your CIBIL, RBI has clearly mentioned that if bank added a credit account before card activation, they have to remove the account from cibil within 30 days.
Please share the full guidelines. I will attach the file with the removal request email.

While bank is on wrong side of RBI guidelines in this case, they will surely seek clarification/modification in guidelines regarding charges if people start using this loophole to get cards for reviewing/trophy collection. It costs them money to print and deliver a card, specially a metallic one.
Also bank might block the user for any new card in future (remember card issuance is issuer's discretion, its not a users right)

Back