• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

International spending on Magnus is classified as government services!!

Bhavik567

TF Buzz
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Hi everyone, please help if anyone have encountered something like this.

I went on a trip to Dubai and had spends in AED with a travel agent who helped me book tickets to theme parks. Axis is charging me 2% for forex spends on this but not giving me ER points saying it is classified as Government spends MCC. Name of merchant is Miral experiences LLC. What do I do? Thanks

Last edited:

I went on a trip to Dubai and had spends in AED with a travel agent who helped me book tickets to theme parks. Axis is charging me 2% for forex spends on this but not giving me ER points saying it is classified as Government spends MCC. Name of merchant is Mirai experiences LLC. What do I do? Thanks
What was the MCC code ?

I went on a trip to Dubai and had spends in AED with a travel agent who helped me book tickets to theme parks. Axis is charging me 2% for forex spends on this but not giving me ER points saying it is classified as Government spends MCC. Name of merchant is Mirai experiences LLC. What do I do? Thanks
Dispute Dispute Dispute
Dispute the transaction stating wrong mcc code, share the bill with bank and escalate to RBI parallely.

What was the MCC code ?
15/12/2023 MIRAL EXPERIENCES LLCABU DHABIAE GOVT SERVICES 11,355.33 Dr
15/12/2023 MIRAL EXPERIENCES LLCABU DHABIAE GOVT SERVICES 79,487.30 Dr
18/12/2023 FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION FEE 227.11 Dr
18/12/2023 GST 40.88 Dr
18/12/2023 FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION FEE 1,589.75 Dr
18/12/2023 GST 286.16 Dr

This is all the CC statement shows!!

Dispute Dispute Dispute
Dispute the transaction stating wrong mcc code, share the bill with bank and escalate to RBI parallely.
You are just giving him all the wrong ideas. 😁

The first step should be to identify the MCC code, just like @Shubham Yadav mentioned above. If the MCC is not government spends, then the next step should be to contact the bank, share the proof with them, and get the charges reversed. Only if Axis Bank refuses, this can be escalated to RBI.

Again, if the MCC is Government Spends, then there isn't much OP can do since MCC is issued by the Merchant's acquiring bank or payment gateway. So, in short, neither Axis Bank nor RBI will entertain this complaint. Rather, all OP can do is request the bank to reverse the charges, and then it's up to the bank's discretion if they reverse the charges or not.

You are just giving him all the wrong ideas. 😁

The first step should be to identify the MCC code, just like @Shubham Yadav mentioned above. If the MCC is not government spends, then the next step should be to contact the bank, share the proof with them, and get the charges reversed. Only if Axis Bank refuses, this can be escalated to RBI.

Again, if the MCC is Government Spends, then there isn't much OP can do since MCC is issued by the Merchant's acquiring bank or payment gateway. So, in short, neither Axis Bank nor RBI will entertain this complaint. Rather, all OP can do is request the bank to reverse the charges, and then it's up to the bank's discretion if they reverse the charges or not.
Is MCC relevant even in international spends? And how do I find the MCC? Thanks

One of my online txn was tagged under rental MCC. It was not at all rental txn. I escalated the matter upto multiple level, but the bank was like that MCC code is not provided by us and it is provided by the acquiring bank and can't help on this.

I went on a trip to Dubai and had spends in AED with a travel agent who helped me book tickets to theme parks. Axis is charging me 2% for forex spends on this but not giving me ER points saying it is classified as Government spends MCC. Name of merchant is Miral experiences LLC. What do I do? Thanks
Thanks for highlighting this.. Seems Axis Magnus is a piece of garbage as this is the 1st time I have seen international transactions being filtered based on MCCs. Seems Amex is the only option left for international transactions!

Man.. looking at above I am reconsidering if MB Burgundy is even worth it?

International spends done in foreign currency will get you rewards anyway irrespective of the MCC or Spend category. I have been using Magnus in UK for more than a year (on Council Tax, Bills and all). No problem with any of the transactions or categories till date.

It seems that customer care is a classic joe, who don't have time to even do his work properly.

He might went with the word "GOVT". Try to call again and as him/her to lodge a complain of no reward point credit, when they say it si Govt spend, tell them that it is not the Indian Govt spend.

It seems that customer care is a classic joe, who don't have time to even do his work properly.

He might went with the word "GOVT". Try to call again and as him/her to lodge a complain of no reward point credit, when they say it si Govt spend, tell them that it is not the Indian Govt spend.
Playing devils advocate. The terms does not state Indian govt spend are excempted. Just govt spends.

I did not get rewards for visa spends

Back