• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

International spending on Magnus is classified as government services!!

Bhavik567

TF Buzz
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Hi everyone, please help if anyone have encountered something like this.

I went on a trip to Dubai and had spends in AED with a travel agent who helped me book tickets to theme parks. Axis is charging me 2% for forex spends on this but not giving me ER points saying it is classified as Government spends MCC. Name of merchant is Miral experiences LLC. What do I do? Thanks

Last edited:
hmmm, this is why zero markup fee card are best for international spend. The amount of Markup fee which you save is like a cashback
Depends on your use case right? Your forex charges are hardly going to be on govt spends right? Maybe places like visa/toll/ tax or some merchants who wrongly took advantage of MCC with lower MDR.

I can’t trust some of the cards like scapia like they did to many a few days ago. Imagine I was on a trip and they randomly reduced credit limit and I am stuck and unable to pay.

During my recent visit, I had to swipe my credit card for car rental. And I understand that RBI has rules against swiping credit card for forex. (Not sure what the limit is). I tried my axis bank card and it was getting rejected. I tried using HDFC Card and it was also rejected but I got a call from HDFC immediately and they asked to insert chip instead. The merchant did not have a chip machine and HDFC guy enabled swiping for 10 mins only to make the transaction. I don’t know if other zero Forex card have a supporting customer care.

Also I can’t recollect how many times axis bank had maintenance issues and server down and I could use my credit card. Never had issues with HDFC. Infact I paid for my colleague as well as he was using Axis bank card a couple of times.

Thanks for highlighting this.. Seems Axis Magnus is a piece of garbage as this is the 1st time I have seen international transactions being filtered based on MCCs. Seems Amex is the only option left for international transactions!

Man.. looking at above I am reconsidering if MB Burgundy is even worth it?
Magnus - making ourselves an ass.
Not to offend but that's how it is working.

Back