• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is cc late payment reported to cibil if i close card before reporting?

aks98765

TF Buzz
so after 4.5 years i finally missed my ICICI Bank cc payment, it is just Rs. 183 and i have paid the amount today(13 days after due date) after i saw September cc statement. talked to customer care to not report but their response is basically "no can't do". i tried searching forum but basic consensus is request to bank and get the charges reversed. I don't care about charges, just don't want it to be reported to cibil. i checked my cibil, it is not yet reported. my question is if close my card before month end (cibil reporting), will the late payment be still reported? customer care says 'yes'. does anyone have otherwise experience?

so after 4.5 years i finally missed my ICICI Bank cc payment, it is just Rs. 183 and i have paid the amount today(13 days after due date) after i saw September cc statement. talked to customer care to not report but their response is basically "no can't do". i tried searching forum but basic consensus is request to bank and get the charges reversed. I don't care about charges, just don't want it to be reported to cibil. i checked my cibil, it is not yet reported. my question is if close my card before month end (cibil reporting), will the late payment be still reported? customer care says 'yes'. does anyone have otherwise experience?
Some Banks(only few) will update past 3 months only. If this is Sept then in cibil upto Jun month it will be reported.

If your card issuer bank updates like this then close the card, if your lucky then they will directly report next month as closed unlikely to report late payment of the last month.

I have seen that amex card holder who missed ₹1 payment, has successfully managed to not report this without card clossure. So there's multiple solutions.

I have missed payment for my mother credit card in HDFC One year ago for Rs. 8500 because of some reason after 5days I completed the payment it has not been reported in Cibil.

Recently 4 months ago I missed ₹150 payment 😅 on my sister's credit card it also has not been reported I completed the payment after one month .

Both has not been reported so as per my past experiences I can say you not need to worry about it brother. 🙏😊

Why bother with cibil so much. Relax.

I have missed payment for my mother credit card in HDFC One year ago for Rs. 8500 because of some reason after 5days I completed the payment it has not been reported in Cibil.

Recently 4 months ago I missed ₹150 payment 😅 on my sister's credit card it also has not been reported I completed the payment after one month .

Both has not been reported so as per my past experiences I can say you not need to worry about it brother. 🙏😊
As far as I know, Bank will report if you don't pay Minimum amount due. Not full amount due

Here is some proof

Screenshot_2023-09-28-00-38-00-61_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg Screenshot_2023-09-28-00-37-37-70_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Yes, bro, I agree with you. If a user misses their payments regularly, whether intentionally or for some other reason, it will certainly be reported.

If the user does not pay consistently, their account will be reported, and the details will be shared. The explanation of this made me skeptical at first, but after multiple conversations with HDFC and ICICI, they said for the first time missing any payment based on customer or credit history may not be reported. However, I can confirm that in my case, it has been over a year and six months, and no late payments have been reported so far."

This version maintains your tone and meaning while addressing some grammatical aspects for clarity. Feel free to use it in your blog post as-is or make any further adjustments to fit your style and context.

What was that the statement balance or the min amount due ? If min due was paid NO late payment will be reported and no need to close the card.

If you even missed the minimum amount due by ₹183 then most likely it will be.

If ICICI reports it, it will show up in CIBIL & all the 3 other bureaus regardless of whether you close the card or keep it active.

You stand a better chance of getting the late DPD reversed or in worse case it falling off eventually if you keep the card active, as TU shows only 36 months of DPD data.

Also, If it does get reported keep escalating with ICICI .. Their customer care is useless but email head card services and escalate further to nodal officer and give them your previous track history. ICICI has reversed some late payment from the bureaus in the past for a couple of my friends after escalation.

Last edited:
Some Banks(only few) will update past 3 months only. If this is Sept then in cibil upto Jun month it will be reported.

If your card issuer bank updates like this then close the card, if your lucky then they will directly report next month as closed unlikely to report late payment of the last month.

I have seen that amex card holder who missed ₹1 payment, has successfully managed to not report this without card clossure. So there's multiple solutions.
Any idea about ICICI? Missed my payment by 6 days.

Just pay the dues, close the card then in cibil directly it will reported as card closed rather than about late payment.
Hi, I've already paid but the issue is if they report it by then the late payment might stay forever else it might go after 36 months which I learnt over this forum. ICIC reversed the charges but they've no clue about the cibil report. Are you sure about the closing?

Luckily it was not reported. I didn’t close the card, my charges were also not reversed (didn’t request for it anyways). From
My experience i think it wont be reported.
Great buddy that's some relief for me too. As of now, they haven't reported, and hope they won't in the future too.

Luckily it was not reported. I didn’t close the card, my charges were also not reversed (didn’t request for it anyways). From
My experience i think it wont be reported.
Was this before or after the RBI master directive where 3 days of grace is given after due date & if not paid within the grace period, then late payment is supposed to be reported by the banks ? I noticed IndusInd have even started writing this exact thing every month on their credit card statements !

Hi, I've already paid but the issue is if they report it by then the late payment might stay forever else it might go after 36 months which I learnt over this forum. ICIC reversed the charges but they've no clue about the cibil report. Are you sure about the closing?
Generally if banks reverse late payment charges then they do NOT report the payment as "Past Due" in CIBIL, but not all follow that, SBI is the most unforgiving in these cases, I had missed the 3 days grace by a couple of hours & the payment reported 3 days past due by SBI within 3-4 days in CIBIL .. had to live with that for 36 months ....

Generally if banks reverse late payment charges then they do NOT report the payment as "Past Due" in CIBIL, but not all follow that, SBI is the most unforgiving in these cases, I had missed the 3 days grace by a couple of hours & the payment reported 3 days past due by SBI within 3-4 days in CIBIL .. had to live with that for 36 months ....
Okay, Fingers crossed. So, if I close the card right away? If they report it, will it stay forever?

Was this before or after the RBI master directive where 3 days of grace is given after due date & if not paid within the grace period, then late payment is supposed to be reported by the banks ? I noticed IndusInd have even started writing this exact thing every month on their credit card statements !
OP posted in Sept, 2023. So, this is much after that RBI circular which I think issued in covid time.

So, if I close the card right away? If they report it, will it stay forever?
YES.

Do not close the card, because if ICICI do report the late payment, they will report the past due as “006” for the month & then close the card. You will be stuck with this forever !

Best option : Keep the card open & here’s why :-

BEST CASE
- ICICI do not report the past due & even if they do, you have option to escalate it up to the PNO to get it reversed as an exception, reasoning medical emergency etc.

WORST CASE - ICICI reports the past due, do not make an exception even after escalation and you will be stuck with it for 36 months at the max, instead for a life time.

Note : Way before 36 months a late payment / past due effect wears off, irrespective of a card / loan status being open or closed, provided you have other active credit accounts (Credit cards, loans, BNPL etc) where payments are ON TIME.. However, since it’s a credit card, you have the option to keep the card open & play with all the available options, which in case of loans you don’t have if the EMIs remaining are less than 36 months :)

Last edited:
Back