• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is Diners Club Privilige really worth it?

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Just got LE for my millennia from 1L to 1.25L in 8yrs lol, spend 20k approx last month only. Its 5 months now, got millennia upgrade from regalia first.

So whats after millennia ? Regalia gold ? How much will i have to spend in next 6 months ?

I know infinia is 6L spend in 6months with a 8L limit. What about regalia gold and dcb ?

I dont think i will get another LE soon. So maybe i will try the fd lien route to increase the limit.

I got standard acc, should i upgrade my saving acc also ? Will that trigger any LE or pre approved upgrades ?

@SSV also can suggest.

If this is already discussed, then sorry for asking, point me to that thread / post 🙏
Focus on l.e first as ur limit is in 100kish

nayra

TF Buzz
Usually depends upon what one wants. Be it cashback, points transfer or simply gift voucher/card. For points transfer super premium cards such as Infinia, DCB, Magnus Burgundy, etc make sense. For cashback SBI Cashback card for policies where Apay route works. I personally prefer Amex Trifecta especially for insurance.
I am looking for complimenting my DCP which doesn't cover fuel(not even surcharge waiver), govt transaction mainly NPS since IT is deducted at source already, and maybe a direct way to utility bills since apay voucher method has charges.

Cashback card would be best ig. I know everything can't be covered by one card but want to know my options.

P.S. Will 1% cashback from hdfc dc remain by the time I pay my first bill next month? Hdfc not onbarding BBPS so Unipay/Jio Finance might not support payment next month. Hopefully deadline is extended...

jk51

TF Premier
I am looking for complimenting my DCP which doesn't cover fuel(not even surcharge waiver), govt transaction mainly NPS since IT is deducted at source already, and maybe a direct way to utility bills since apay voucher method has charges.

Cashback card would be best ig. I know everything can't be covered by one card but want to know my options.

P.S. Will 1% cashback from hdfc dc remain by the time I pay my first bill next month? Hdfc not onbarding BBPS so Unipay/Jio Finance might not support payment next month. Hopefully deadline is extended...
In that case Amex Plat Travel shall make sense if you don’t want to go for trifecta It shall serve across all these purposes and more.

With regards to BBPS onboarding everybody is on the same boat with clarity yet to be received regarding the same.

dexter_greycells

TF Premier
Regalia / DCP / DCB / Infinia are reward points / travel based cards and they are bad if you don't do hotel stays or flights (domestic or international). If you do either of those, then DCP is a fine card especially if you don't meet the criteria for being a DCB/Infinia customer. Taking your Amazon Pay Utilities example specifically, Rs 10k Amazon Pay vouchers via SmartBuy+ Gyftr will cost you Rs 10295 and bag you 1320 RPs (5X * 4RPs/Rs150). Their value when redeemed for hotels flights via SmartBuy is Rs 660.

It will be extremely difficult and time-consuming to get a Millennia now which will involve cancelling your LTF DCP and waiting for months or forever(!). In the HDFC world, the HDFC Swiggy card will be easier to get but considering you don't order food online a lot, it might not be best suited to you. You are better off looking outside the HDFC world at SBI Cashback, Axis Ace/Airtel and Amazon Pay ICICI.

I recently had a female friend get an Axis Ace because she has no time or inclination to bother with reward points, doesn't like to deal with discounted vouchers, swipes at a wide variety of merchants (which gets her 1.5%CB on Ace) and her primary spends are utilities/recharges (5% CB on Ace), Swiggy and the odd Ola (both 4% on Ace). Plus her monthly CC expenses are in the Rs 5k-15k range which is ideal considering Ace maxes out the 4-5% CB to Rs 500 pm and keeps it unlimited for 1.5%. There is an annual fee of Rs 500 + GST but the cashback from 1-2 months offsets that. There was also a Rs 500 joining bonus plus FYF on spends of Rs 10k in 45 days.

nayra

TF Buzz
If you do either of those, then DCP is a fine card especially if you don't meet the criteria for being a DCB/Infinia customer.
Well I'm sure I would board a flight atleast 2 years from now, not sure of the hotels. But my concern is I heard smartbuy prices are higher than normal so point value is further reduced. Ig I just have to redeem them for Domino's voucher lol.

And my main doubt for this thread was should I have waited to check pre approved offers for some time after activating preferred banking. Like would there have been a chance of DCB? My peers got Regalia Gold LTF pre approved similar history with HDFC as me (not preferred still got it).
SBI Cashback, Axis Ace/Airtel and Amazon Pay ICICI.
Axis Ace got rejected when I had no credit history, and it isn't visible on GPay now. For I have to improve my credit score ig. Cred's CRIF shows 787 but experian is 17!? Need some time for other cards ig.

nayra

TF Buzz
In that case Amex Plat Travel shall make sense if you don’t want to go for trifecta It shall serve across all these purposes and more.
Am I looking at same amex plat travel? It says no points on utility and mainly milestone benefits. As I mentioned I don't have much spends and this card doesn't seem to be beneficial in that case.

Am I missing something?

And I think Im not in serviceable cities anyways.

Last edited:

jk51

TF Premier
Am I looking at same amex plat travel? It says no points on utility and mainly milestone benefits. As I mentioned I don't have much spends and this card doesn't seem to be beneficial in that case.

Am I missing something?

And I think Im not in serviceable cities anyways.
People use Apay vouchers using this card for Utility so that works great. If spends are below 4 lac annually across all categories where you use card then no it’s not worth it. If yes then it’s a gem. For serivable location work around you’ll find threads a plenty here from people and there attempts. Alternatively @BestBanker can help you with this.

dexter_greycells

TF Premier
Well I'm sure I would board a flight atleast 2 years from now, not sure of the hotels. But my concern is I heard smartbuy prices are higher than normal so point value is further reduced. Ig I just have to redeem them for Domino's voucher lol.

And my main doubt for this thread was should I have waited to check pre approved offers for some time after activating preferred banking. Like would there have been a chance of DCB? My peers got Regalia Gold LTF pre approved similar history with HDFC as me (not preferred still got it).

Axis Ace got rejected when I had no credit history, and it isn't visible on GPay now. For I have to improve my credit score ig. Cred's CRIF shows 787 but experian is 17!? Need some time for other cards ig.
I did a 7 day UP-MP trip using SmartBuy for flights, hotels (and trains too). I found the rates often competitive with MMT / ClearTrip / goiBiBo - sometimes less, sometimes more but an absolute no-brainer with 70% pay with points (which I had and have lots of). What a lot of people overlook is that SmartBuy often does not include the cheapest rooms compared to what you see on MMT / ClearTrip / goiBiBo. For budget hotels, the cheapest rooms are best avoided. Those sites are also very sneaky as they keep on stacking charges right until you come to the payment page. SmartBuy is upfront about what you need to pay.

You would have got a DCB soon if your CTC is was 28L. Things are very unpredictable with HDFC; so don't waste any time or headspace thinking about should / would. You have the DCP now. Look ahead from it.

For utilities Axis Airtel is good too especially if you have an Airtel SIM / internet connection. It has 1% flat cashback on everything (with the usual exemptions). Review the maximum cashback and weigh against your expenses. Just like Axis Ace it is suited to mid-range monthly spends. If you have higher spends, then SBI Cashback is your pick. Again, besides the 5% online CB, it comes with 1% on everything (with the usual exceptions).

nayra

TF Buzz
Review the maximum cashback and weigh against your expenses.
I think I should take few months to get used to my current card for now. Since Im new and very less credit history let me take some time and see how Im using my current card then look for other cards then.

Thanks everyone for hearing me out.

You would have got a DCB soon if your CTC is was 28L. Things are very unpredictable with HDFC; so don't waste any time or headspace thinking about should / would. You have the DCP now. Look ahead from it.
This part feels like the answer

Aviii

TF Buzz
Funny enough, my first payment was of insurance, but I thought it would give no reward points. I was using card for spends and later paying to just improve my cibil. I was surprised to see the points.

But later learned that Smartbuy apay voucher will give 6% max returns in reward points but you have to pay 3% while buying the voucher. Which is better I am confused.

Both ways I can get 1% using my hdfc dc if Unipay works out.
So it is essentially 3% Cb? I applied for this card recently and didn't choose the millenia credit card ( considering the recent Deval). For apay vouchers sbi cc is still the king then. But how are you planning to spend using the diner club preivelege. Are you looking for an upgrade in the near future?

nayra

TF Buzz
So it is essentially 3% Cb? I applied for this card recently and didn't choose the millenia credit card ( considering the recent Deval). For apay vouchers sbi cc is still the king then. But how are you planning to spend using the diner club preivelege. Are you looking for an upgrade in the near future?
Essentially 3% yes.. mostly gyftr vouchers (appx 6.6%) since I dont have much Swiggy and Zomato spends. This is my only card so Im using Amazon pay vouchers too, since reward points still give some value if not the best.