• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Hotel Points Is there any benifit in converting the DCB points to any miles transfer partner for hotels or any flights.

I am using DCB points to book domestic flights and hotels using smart buy portal.

While booking through smartbuy portal I am getting 1:1 ratio for hotels and flights for the 70% cost.
I don't want to convert them to ACCOR or any other partner which gives 1:0.5 value back. Also I feel while booking from smart buy we can book local hotels listed by MMT or yatra.

But I just wanted to understand is there anyway to get better value back by transferring the points to any miles partner.

Anupama_Jha

TF Ace
RML Group
VIP Lounge
I am using DCB points to book domestic flights and hotels using smart buy portal.

While booking through smartbuy portal I am getting 1:1 ratio for hotels and flights for the 70% cost.
I don't want to convert them to ACCOR or any other partner which gives 1:0.5 value back. Also I feel while booking from smart buy we can book local hotels listed by MMT or yatra.

But I just wanted to understand is there anyway to get better value back by transferring the points to any miles partner.
Since u are a DCB holder, I have a query

Can u also convert RPs into Tanishq vouchers (70%) like Infinia

sahilgulati5

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
you can use it at 1:1 for flight , hotel booking through smartbuy. or Transfer to partners. only these 2 options for better returns on ur points as of now.

_ayush

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Yeah but booking flights via smartbuy is usually 10-20% expensive compared to other sites. So not sure what to do with the points.

harshgupta940

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Yeah but booking flights via smartbuy is usually 10-20% expensive compared to other sites. So not sure what to do with the points.
In my experience its not the case. Smartbuy shows the price including charges but those sites includes the charges afterwards

dapatale

TF Select
you can use it at 1:1 for flight , hotel booking through smartbuy. or Transfer to partners. only these 2 options for better returns on ur points as of now.
Price difference on smart buy and other flight booking apps is very huge after applying offers so ultimately reward point value is not 1 point = 1 rs

_ayush

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
In my experience its not the case. Smartbuy shows the price including charges but those sites includes the charges afterwards
Yeah but on other sites you have several offers which usually give around 10% discount. That's not even counting the points/cashback you get on CC for that payment.

harshgupta940

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Yeah but on other sites you have several offers which usually give around 10% discount. That's not even counting the points/cashback you get on CC for that payment.
You also get accelerated 33% RPs on booking hotels from Smartbuy on the 30% part which is 9.9% of the overall value. (33% of 30%). And similarly almost 5% of the overall value in case of flight as we get 16.5% accelerated RPs.

_ayush

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
You also get accelerated 33% RPs on booking hotels from Smartbuy on the 30% part which is 9.9% of the overall value. (33% of 30%). And similarly almost 5% of the overall value in case of flight as we get 16.5% accelerated RPs.
Hotel prices are much higher on smartbuy compared to other aggregators.

For flights I just randomly took DEL - BLR on 11 September, 11:30 am Indigo.
It costs 5849(through indigo) while same flight via Smartbuy costs 6711(through yatra).
Now for this, I will get 10% accor points using Atlas. But lets assume just 5% cashback using SBI Cashback card. So the eventual cost through skyscanner comes out to be 5,556.
Now I can redeem 70% points through DCB (4697 points) and pay the rest (2014 rupees).
So the value of each point comes out to be (5556-2014)/4697 = 0.754 Rupees.
If we used Atlas and assume 1 accor point = 1.8 rupee, the flight via skyscanner costs 5849-584*1.8 = 4797. In this case the points value come out to be
(4797-2014)/4697 = 0.59 Rupees.

Yeah we do get 5% points of total flight value through DCB but we have to redeem it on another flight. For that reason I have not included them in this calculation.
Another benefit of booking using non-HDFC card is that you get 1% on billpay which would again reduce the point value but its subjective so not included here.
Also I have not compared other vendors like Paytm and Amazon. Amazon also offer 5% CB above discounts if you pay via APay CC. Paytm has card offers everyday.
Let me know if there is some error in my calculations.

Attachments

• 1718951702999.png
    1718951702999.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 1718951853708.png
    1718951853708.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 1718951868277.png
    1718951868277.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

dapatale

TF Select

It costs 5849(through indigo) while same flight via Smartbuy costs 6711(through yatra).
Now for this, I will get 10% accor points using Atlas. But lets assume just 5% cashback using SBI Cashback card. So the eventual cost through skyscanner comes out to be 5,556.
Now I can redeem 70% points through DCB (4697 points) and pay the rest (2014 rupees).
If we used Atlas and assume 1 accor point = 1.8 rupee, the flight via skyscanner costs 5849-584*1.8 = 4797. In this case the points value come out to be

Yeah we do get 5% points of total flight value through DCB but we have to redeem it on another flight. For that reason I have not included them in this calculation.
Another benefit of booking using non-HDFC card is that you get 1% on billpay which would again reduce the point value but its subjective so not included here.
Also I have not compared other vendors like Paytm and Amazon. Amazon also offer 5% CB above discounts if you pay via APay CC. Paytm has card offers everyday.
I had similar experience last week with Smartbuy.
Ultimately while booking final price difference was around 970rs so booked flight on MMT with axis cc offer.

harshgupta940

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

So I think its subjective how you look at it. Its similar to NeuCoins like on Tata Neu when you pay through NeuCoins you miss out on card discount and base 5% points. So that's why reward points are not equivalent to points. But still I think the 10% on GV via SmartBuy is still better than using 5% CB from SBI Cashback or HDFC Swiggy/Millennia.

_ayush

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
So I think its subjective how you look at it. Its similar to NeuCoins like on Tata Neu when you pay through NeuCoins you miss out on card discount and base 5% points. So that's why reward points are not equivalent to points. But still I think the 10% on GV via SmartBuy is still better than using 5% CB from SBI Cashback or HDFC Swiggy/Millennia.
Ofc its subjective. Everyone has different needs and one card cant suit everyone. The point of discussion was that you can't get 1₹ value from DCB points on smartbuy flights.

I want to understand how is it better to transfer points to miles like to any partner
example: Wyndham or IHG for hotels or United Miles or Etihad etc.

The point I want to understand is I know sometimes with Club Vistara points u get rewards based tickets for better price where the point to rupees conversion is high.

Similarly I wanted to understand when I can book flights directly with points in smartbuy portal using 1:1 conversion. What is the point in conversion.

Or

Am I missing something like: is there any analysis everyone doing and converting points to prefered partner.

If so can you people post your analysis how you convert DCB points to miles and why. What better valued is observed.

I know that everyone has different stratagies for spends and different destinations to travel and stay. Atleast I am trying to understand what are the best practices being followed by genius people in TF community here. So that I can upgrade myself to those practices.

Thanks...

bhavatmaj

TF Buzz
air miles reward rate is not contant.
you need to check cash price of air ticket , and compare it o awards ticket miles required, only then you can get clear picture if to convert Points in miles or use them as it is for 1:1 at smartbuy

each ticket and date will give different miles value.

i generally check it it is better to buy using miles or better to buy with RP
for transfer the points and ratio i check this website