• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Joint bank account suggestions

shield99

TF Buzz
Hey people,

Recently opened an ICICI joint bank account with my spouse (10K minimum balance account) and have the below drawbacks.

1) There are 2 Debit cards linked to this account - One under my wife's name and one under mine. But since she is the primary account holder, any online transactions made under MY debit card, the OTP is sent to her. This can get annoying if I am using the card for online payments as Ill have to call her to get the OTP.
2) I get no notifications on any transactions done on my Debit Card. This includes any ATM withdrawals, POS transactions and online transactions. SMS and email alerts are sent to my wife's phone and email.
3) Mobile/phone banking is only possible with the primary number. Aka, my wife's phone.
4) UPI transactions can be done only on my Wife's phone as the primary number tied to the account is my wife's (This one is understandable I guess)

When checked with ICICI, they said that only 1 phone and email can be updated per account and only those contacts receive notifications.
So, if we need a joint savings account for daily expenses and wish to receive notifications on both devices, what are our options?
Does any other bank offer better services or this the norm across all?

Thanks in advance.

Wealth is my birth right!

TF Prestige
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Hey people,

Recently opened an ICICI joint bank account with my spouse (10K minimum balance account) and have the below drawbacks.

1) There are 2 Debit cards linked to this account - One under my wife's name and one under mine. But since she is the primary account holder, any online transactions made under MY debit card, the OTP is sent to her. This can get annoying if I am using the card for online payments as Ill have to call her to get the OTP.
2) I get no notifications on any transactions done on my Debit Card. This includes any ATM withdrawals, POS transactions and online transactions. SMS and email alerts are sent to my wife's phone and email.
3) Mobile/phone banking is only possible with the primary number. Aka, my wife's phone.
4) UPI transactions can be done only on my Wife's phone as the primary number tied to the account is my wife's (This one is understandable I guess)

When checked with ICICI, they said that only 1 phone and email can be updated per account and only those contacts receive notifications.
So, if we need a joint savings account for daily expenses and wish to receive notifications on both devices, what are our options?

Thanks in advance.
Honestly joint accounts are always troublesome when come to accounting operations either it’s offline or digital
I had one in bob with my spouse and after 4 years of chaos of independent usage we visited branch and made it single and I opened separate account to me
Hope every bank have same funda for joint accounts
Banks play smart that they should not get complaints that hubby used wife money or vice versa so the product design is like that lol

Vaastav

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I opened Indus Partner Account when they Were Opening at Zero MAB. I never faced the 4 Issues which you have mentioned. So looks like it varies from Bank to Bank. Try Checking Out With IndusInd If They are still offering that account at 0 MAB. I never Faced any issues barring the Initial Debit Card Problem Which I think was Applicable to All Those who opened that account and was soon corrected.

Last edited:

naman200

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Hey people,

Thanks in advance.
I don't understand why you're using debit cards and UPI so much. I hope you're using credit cards whenever possible

shield99

TF Buzz
I don't understand why you're using debit cards and UPI so much. I hope you're using credit cards whenever possible
There is an ICICI CC tied to the account (In my wife's name) and that's always used.
But in situations where both are out and the joint acc funds have to be used, I get burned as I am stuck with no notifications.

gunnerTH

TF Buzz
Hey people,

Thanks in advance.
I am having a good experience in joint account with Yes Bank,

It addresses all you problems almost, seperate debit cards and OTP on respective numbers for transactions,

Get notifications on both numbers for transactions and on both our emails also,

Phone banking(app) accessible on both the devices.

Not sure on UPI as i have not enabled it on either.

PS, i have premia account as joint account so we both get Visa Infinite debit card each...

HDFC max account.
I guess they give two Easyshop DC, which gives combined savings of 1500₹ per month, on CC bill pay or shopping.
25k MAB needs to be maintained
I visited HDFC branch few days back, they said" sir aap joint account mein 1 card ya 2 card use karo bill payments ke liye, 750Rs se zyada cashback nahi milega ek customer id pe per month, sirf dono ko lounge access mil jayega individually.". I am not sure upto what extent he is correct.

aniruddhaadhe

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I visited HDFC branch few days back, they said" sir aap joint account mein 1 card ya 2 card use karo bill payments ke liye, 750Rs se zyada cashback nahi milega ek customer id pe per month, sirf dono ko lounge access mil jayega individually.". I am not sure upto what extent he is correct.
My RM told that both will get points.
Anyone has actually used, plz comment 😀

I Have A Joint Account With My Amma In IOB. Without Debit Card We Both Can Use UPI In Different Phones. SMS Will Be Delivered To Whichever Phone Is Used To Pay/Recieve Money.

We Created UPI PIN Via Paytm Using Aadhar (Without Debit Card)

pratyushpanda

TF Premier
I have regular savings account with platinum debit card and corporate salary account with same visa platinum debit card. 2 accounts 1 customer ID , getting 750+750 per month in both the cards.

another

TF Buzz
I opened Indus Partner Account when they Were Opening at Zero MAB. I never faced the 4 Issues which you have mentioned. So looks like it varies from Bank to Bank. Try Checking Out With IndusInd If They are still offering that account at 0 MAB. I never Faced any issues barring the Initial Debit Card Problem Which I think was Applicable to All Those who opened that account and was soon corrected.
I too have this account where I'm primary. If I remove second member (ofcourse with consent), will it remain Zero MAB?

another

TF Buzz
If opened in Zero Balance offer then it will remain the same even if you're solely holding the account.
Though I'm convinced too, RM was denying by saying Partner is required for partner account.

We both partners have two DCs but only one DC earns RP (primary one) however for secondary DC, there is no RP despite there being eligible txnS. Customer care don't answer satisfactorily.