• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Riva

TF Premier
Hi Guys,

Looked through all the Kris Flyer posts on this community but i could not find what i was looking for, hence posting here.

So how does one actually book flights for a family using Kris flyer miles?

I have Kris Flyer miles accounts with miles for my self, wife and kid, so 3 accounts in all with different membership numbers. I was wondering how do i actually book 3 tickets using these miles? I have also read that points can be transferred to Kris Miles from a few credit cards. I have an HDFC Regalia First Card, Citi Rewards Card and HSBC Platinium card, all of which are partners to the Kris Flyer Program. When checking for miles redemption, the minimum is 20k miles for the shortest one way trip for 1 ticket. My individual points are short of this 20k requirement, so i was thinking of transfering my CC points from HDFC, Citi and HSBC to my / wife / kids Kris Flyer accounts.

My questions are:
Can i or do i need to transfer points into the individual Kris Flyer accounts (self, wife and son) in order to meet the required miles so that i can book 3 tickets together?
OR, do i transfer points to just my kris flyer account and can the excess miles be used when booking all 3 tickets?
Also, is there an option to pay by credit card, etc if the miles are not enough?

in short, how does one actually book tickets using the miles program for a family where each person has their own miles which may or may not be the miles required for the flight?

Any comments / help is appreciated.

QUIKSILVER27

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi Guys,

Looked through all the Kris Flyer posts on this community but i could not find what i was looking for, hence posting here.

So how does one actually book flights for a family using Kris flyer miles?

I have Kris Flyer miles accounts with miles for my self, wife and kid, so 3 accounts in all with different membership numbers. I was wondering how do i actually book 3 tickets using these miles? I have also read that points can be transferred to Kris Miles from a few credit cards. I have an HDFC Regalia First Card, Citi Rewards Card and HSBC Platinium card, all of which are partners to the Kris Flyer Program. When checking for miles redemption, the minimum is 20k miles for the shortest one way trip for 1 ticket. My individual points are short of this 20k requirement, so i was thinking of transfering my CC points from HDFC, Citi and HSBC to my / wife / kids Kris Flyer accounts.

My questions are:
Can i or do i need to transfer points into the individual Kris Flyer accounts (self, wife and son) in order to meet the required miles so that i can book 3 tickets together?
OR, do i transfer points to just my kris flyer account and can the excess miles be used when booking all 3 tickets?
Also, is there an option to pay by credit card, etc if the miles are not enough?

in short, how does one actually book tickets using the miles program for a family where each person has their own miles which may or may not be the miles required for the flight?

Any comments / help is appreciated.
So to answer your questions -
1. You can book 3 tickets from your account itself. Transfer all your points to your account and add family members as redemption nominees. Ideally you cannot transfer your credit card points to anyone's krisflyer account except your own.

2. There is a way to transfer miles from a child's account if the child has miles gathered (have not tried this yet) but that requires the child's accounts to be linked.. attaching screenshot of that . Do not think there's a way to club your spouses points(incase it has miles gathered) with yours.
KRISFLYER CHILD.jpeg
3. There is an option to pay the difference when miles fall short - https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/us/ppsclub-krisflyer/use-miles/mix-miles-and-cash/

This is just from my one time experience of redeeming miles for a one way ticket from SIN to MUM for a family of 4, had 80000 miles so 4 tickets was possible from one account itself, only had to pay taxes. There could be other ways I'm not aware of, which our forum's experts will surely guide you.

Last edited:

Max

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I suggest this approach. I used my Krisflyer account to book redemption tickets for my parents by transferring points from Axis Magnus & HDFC Infinia.

Riva

TF Premier
1. You can book 3 tickets separately as your miles are spread across 3 accounts. Ideally you cannot transfer your credit card points to anyone's account except your own.
2. There is a way to transfer miles from a child's account (have not tried this yet) but that requires the child's accounts to be linked.. attaching screenshot of that . Do not think there's a way to club your spouses points with yours.
KRISFLYER CHILD.jpeg
3. There is an option to pay the difference when miles fall short - https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/us/ppsclub-krisflyer/use-miles/mix-miles-and-cash/

Even if you book 3 separate tickets from 3 different accounts that should not be an issue, as you can select seats individually to make sure all your seats are together.
First if your child's points can be clubbed then that's the best option.
If not then you can top up your own account with points from credit cards and pay the difference by card for wife and son if falling short of krisflyer miles.

This is just from my one time experience of redeeming miles for a one way ticket from SIN to MUM for a family of 4, had 80000 miles so 4 tickets was possible from one account itself, only had to pay taxes. There could be other ways I'm not aware of, which our forum's experts will surely guide you.

Thanks for the quick reply..

ok, so the miles are definitely short from an individual account, which means i will not be able to book individually from 3 accounts.

So if i have to book from my Kris flyer account, i would need to transfer all my points to my kris flyer account and then book 3 tickets on my account and pay the difference with my card?

Also is it possible to transfer points from my credit cards to my wife and kids Kris flyer account?

Riva

TF Premier
I suggest this approach. I used my Krisflyer account to book redemption tickets for my parents by transferring points from Axis Magnus & HDFC Infinia.
thanks for the quick reply,

Did you transfer the points to your parents kris flyer account from your credit cards or did you book the tickets for them from your kris flyer account after transferring the points to your kris flyer account?

Riva

TF Premier
1. You can book 3 tickets from your account itself. Transfer all your points to your account and add family members as redemption nominees. Ideally you cannot transfer your credit card points to anyone's krisflyer account except your own.

2. There is a way to transfer miles from a child's account if the child has miles gathered (have not tried this yet) but that requires the child's accounts to be linked.. attaching screenshot of that . Do not think there's a way to club your spouses points(incase it has miles gathered) with yours.
KRISFLYER CHILD.jpeg

i also read somewhere that you can nominate family members? does that mean you can book tickets for them with your points or transfer points to their account? any idea how that works?

QUIKSILVER27

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Thanks for the quick reply..

ok, so the miles are definitely short from an individual account, which means i will not be able to book individually from 3 accounts.

So if i have to book from my Kris flyer account, i would need to transfer all my points to my kris flyer account and then book 3 tickets on my account and pay the difference with my card?

Also is it possible to transfer points from my credit cards to my wife and kids Kris flyer account?
You don't need to transfer to their individual accounts. Your Krisflyer account is sufficient to book all 3 tickets, just have to add family as redemption nominees which is possible from your krisflyer account only. Then transfer all your points from all cards to only your krisflyer account. Only after that if falling short you can pay the difference of points shortfall by card.

Reactions: Max

Riva

TF Premier
You don't need to transfer to their individual accounts. Your Krisflyer account is sufficient to book all 3 tickets, just have to add family as redemption nominees which is possible from your krisflyer account only. Then transfer all your points from all cards to only your krisflyer account. Only after that if falling short you can pay the difference of points shortfall by card.

makes sense,

also when adding family as redemption nominees, (adding their kris flyer membership number when booking?) does their individual points in their account also get utilized for the same booking and anything over this can be paid by card?

QUIKSILVER27

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
makes sense,

also when adding family as redemption nominees, (adding their kris flyer membership number when booking?) does their individual points in their account also get utilized for the same booking and anything over this can be paid by card?
only child's points may be clubbable subject to successful linking of child's account with yours.

Riva

TF Premier
Do you know how long are the miles that are converted from credit card points valid for? Say my points on the cc are expiring in the next 6 months, and i convert them to Kris miles now, will they be valid for the next 3 years or will they lapse in 6 months?

QUIKSILVER27

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Do you know how long are the miles that are converted from credit card points valid for? Say my points on the cc are expiring in the next 6 months, and i convert them to Kris miles now, will they be valid for the next 3 years or will they lapse in 6 months?
will be valid for 3 years after transfer

FinGuru

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

KRISFLYER CHILD.jpeg

Thanks for the info. Can one redeem miles for non-direct flights as well? Say from Chennai to Kuala Lumpur?

Deleted member 9785

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
i got a promotion mail yesterday showing kaula lampur for 6k miles and jong kong for 11k miles. But when i logged in to book the value increased to 30k miles. What fraud kind of promotions are these.

Ankur dhanda

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Any idea about reward flight booking of infant with 2 adults.
Not showing any options on web to add infant, on calling them they said first make booking for adult then we’ll be able to tell you charges/miles requirement for infant addition.
Any experience in this?

Riva

TF Premier
i got a promotion mail yesterday showing kaula lampur for 6k miles and jong kong for 11k miles. But when i logged in to book the value increased to 30k miles. What fraud kind of promotions are these.

I too have gotten such promotions in the past and when checked the actual miles differ. Not sure if that promotion is valid for a few hours or for certain countries.

Riva

TF Premier
Not showing any options on web to add infant, on calling them they said first make booking for adult then we’ll be able to tell you charges/miles requirement for infant addition.
Any experience in this?

Infant ticket (<2 years) is does not have much of a price difference from a full ticket. It is a little cheaper but you still have to book a seat. I don't know if the same amount of miles are considered for infant and for an adult. Maybe someon from TF with experience can confirm.

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
Infant ticket (<2 years) is does not have much of a price difference from a full ticket. It is a little cheaper but you still have to book a seat. I don't know if the same amount of miles are considered for infant and for an adult. Maybe someon from TF with experience can confirm.
Infants(<2years) are not required a seat. They do charge a nominal fee (10% of adult fare). Not sure how it works for award flights though

sourpai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Any experience in this?
Yes. You need to make booking with award seats using miles. Once done, call them and ask them to add Infant to this booking. They will then either ask you to pay additional money or deduct additional miles or combination of both. This process works only for booking via miles.

This will however not get you additional seat as Infants do not get it, but you can get some preference in seat selection in forward zone and be able to select bassinet seats

Riva

TF Premier
Infants(<2years) are not required a seat. They do charge a nominal fee (10% of adult fare). Not sure how it works for award flights though

Oh yes, your right.. my bad.. <2 years kid can sit on a parents lap. They give a extended seat belt for both parent and child on lap. After 2 you need to book a seat