• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Limit Increase - Smooth Process with AMEX chat support

dravidsarang

TF Premier
Contributor
RML Group
I was using AMEX since 2022 with 4 Lks limit. Was having few bigger planned payments in september and hence tried reaching out to AMEX chat support. They assigned a credit team associate after reading my request.
The associate asked for my gross income and took sometime to review my card account.
Eventually after a long pause they increase CL from 4 lks to 5.2 (30% increase)!!

Hope this helps to people looking for LE for AMEX.

I was using AMEX since 2022 with 4 Lks limit. Was having few bigger planned payments in september and hence tried reaching out to AMEX chat support. They assigned a credit team associate after reading my request.
The associate asked for my gross income and took sometime to review my card account.
Eventually after a long pause they increase CL from 4 lks to 5.2 (30% increase)!!

If you are okay with revealing, a ballpark of your gross income please.

If you are okay with revealing, a ballpark of your gross income please.
did you ask for any specific figure for limit? or they themselves arrived at that number.

First of all congratulations. @dravidsarang ....

It is a quite normal process that existed for quite a long time:
This is how it works.
1) Call Customer Care and ask for LE.
2) They will transafer you to a Credit evaluation team member
3) you need to provided them your latest Gross annual income
4) they input that number in to their algorithm and comes up with the final LE ..you can approve it if you desire to..

NOtes:
1) they wont ask for any income docs at this stage.
2) However in future if for some reason , there is any Financial Review happens to your account, then you need to provide all the supporting docs, failing which your account will be blocked and revoked..

this is how it works...

Why they haven't given any automatic LE till now? 🤔
Because , there may not be room for LE based on his previous declared income..
Spends wont matter in this case ..
If Amex had provided him the maximum allowed CL duirng the initial application process based on the then declared income then they might not offer automatic LE..

in these cases , we need to call them up and inform the latest income, based on which they may provide LE..
No docs required at this stage..

Last edited:

Had the exact same experience and got an LE of 50%.

However, I could not co-relate my gross income (ITR) to the LE.. so I assume other factors like spends might also play a role in the enhanced offer.

Because , there may not a room for LE based on his previous declared income..
Spends wont matter in this case ..
If Amex had provided him the maximum allowed CL duirng the application process based on the then declared income then they might not offer automatic LE..

in these cases , we need to call them up and inform them the latest income, based on which they may provide LE..
No docs required at this stage..
True. When he asked me my ITR I expected him to ask me to email some docs etc to prove it (I was mentally prepared to do so) but no docs at all.

Reactions: SSV

Congrats on your LE!

Congrats on your LE!
Thank you!!
And Thank you everyone, hope the post was helpful for few who were in the same boat as me with a fix limit for over 2 years. 3 of my colleagues tried the same but 2 of them got there LE rejected stating, in current state we cannot provide LE. Another lucky one got a 100% LE, though his initial LE was just 2.3Lks

When is comes to customer support, I guess only CITI (now gone!) and Amex know how to do their job!
We also have to look at the scale they operate.

Their market share is less than 1%. So they can utilize their manpower resources properly.

Top Indian banks like HDFC, SBI, and ICICI each have close to 15-20% market shares.

Resolving a few hundred queries or complaints will always be faster and smoother than handling thousands or even lakhs.

Their market share is less than 1%. So they can utilize their manpower resources properly.

Top Indian banks like HDFC, SBI, and ICICI each have close to 15-20% market shares.

Resolving a few hundred queries or complaints will always be faster and smoother than handling thousands or even lakhs.
Then you should also account for how much revenue they get from that market share..

It should actually be better support because of the economies of scale..
not the other way around..

Basic thing is: if you do the job properly at the first place then the number of complaints will be minimal..

not necessarily true.
having a higher volume does not make them eligible to have a bad customer support. With higher cases, the team size also goes high and higher goes the incentives too.
A higher market share displays higher profits which in turn must result in even higher customer satisfaction.

The major difference here is customer orientation which is kept on priority for AMEX.

I disagree. I was informed that Maruti Suzuki, with a market share of 41%, offers the best after-sales support. While I understand that comparing a banking product to a car might seem unusual, I mentioned this to counter your point about market share versus service quality.

Back