• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Looking for alternative to Infinia for more rewards

sgoyal9

TF Select
RML Group
VIP Lounge
I would like to find a card to maximise returns where I have around 5-6 lakhs of spends annually in the following categories:
  • advanced tax
  • jewellery
  • retail spends
  • online spends
  • forex spends
These are spends where I am not getting any accelerated rewards and not able to use Amex or Amazon Pay. Hence the reward rate is <=3.3%.

I am looking for a card where I can get the most out of spends here. I understand not any one card can have it all and am open to getting multiple cards or giving up a couple of categories. I am okay with a high joining fee/annual fee card if the rewards are good. I am not very interested in hotel loyalty programs. Okay with having to optimise spends as well as redemption options. Good to have would be a metal form factor (not a priority.)

I have access to the following cards of note currently:
  • HDFC Infinia
  • YES Marquee (will close this before renewal)
  • SBI Cashback
  • IDFC Wealth
  • IDFC Mayura
  • AMEX Platinum Travel (can meet 4L milestone annually)
  • ICICI Amazon Pay

Cards Shortlisted​

These are the couple of cards I was considering but am not completely sold on:

Axis Olympus
Pros
7+% reward rate for domestic use if transferred to Accor (taking Accor point value as Rs 1.8 each)
12+% reward rate for foreign use if transferred to Accor
A lot of cool lifestyle benefits like meet and greet, airport transfers, etc.
Good joining/annual benefits

Cons
It's from AXIS bank.
Very long exclusion list. A lot of categories like tax, jewellery are outright excluded. I expect this list to keep growing rather than being reduced.
They have also added categories like Transportation and Property. I am not sure but is this to prevent people from swiping for down payments on cars and houses? If anyone can confirm, that would be appreciated! Because, I doubt they would have added it for Uber/Ola.

Axis Magnus
Pros
Accelerated rewards in Gyftr
4+% reward rate for domestic use if transferred to Accor
12+% reward rate for spends beyond 1.5L per month

Cons
It's from AXIS bank :)
No renewal benefits and not great joining benefits
Offers little benefit over Infinia. For such little benefit, is it really worth getting?

Other cards considered​

Axis Reserve
I cannot hit/maintain the Burgundy Private relationship. This means my transfer rate will always be 5:2. It simply does not add enough value in terms of reward rate over the Infinia to justify the exorbitant joining fees.

Amex Platinum Charge
Amex has just terrible acceptance. Even in jewellery shops, as soon as I draw out an Amex, it is an immediate no-no. Most of this card's benefits stem from hotel loyalty programs which are not very interesting to me. As the base reward rate and offers are not great, I am not very inclined towards it.

Axis Magnus Burgundy
I am just putting this here but I never considered getting this card. I had a Magnus and a Burgundy account before introduction of this card. I had tried getting the Magnus Burgundy when it came out and was being offered LTF. They had the audacity to tell me that since I was maintaining Burgundy status due to the AMB of 10L, I was not eligible for Magnus Burgundy upgrade. I had to either maintain TRV of 30L or salary credit of 3L to get it. Due to this previous experience and the constant rejigging of T&C, I am not inclined.

Conclusion​

At the moment, Olympus seems like the best bet. However, since I will not be getting anything in several big ticket categories like jewellery, taxes, or purchases like car/house down payments, it also seems very niche.

Open to suggestions on what to add to portfolio or how to rejig if possible.

BizBlack for advance tax.

Probably a milestone card for other spend. Now sbi vistara, idfc vistara and other cards are not issued so not sure which other would be better for milestone benefit.

I would like to find a card to maximise returns where I have around 5-6 lakhs of spends annually in the following categories:
  • advanced tax
  • jewellery
  • retail spends
  • online spends
  • forex spends
These are spends where I am not getting any accelerated rewards and not able to use Amex or Amazon Pay. Hence the reward rate is <=3.3%.

I am looking for a card where I can get the most out of spends here. I understand not any one card can have it all and am open to getting multiple cards or giving up a couple of categories. I am okay with a high joining fee/annual fee card if the rewards are good. I am not very interested in hotel loyalty programs. Okay with having to optimise spends as well as redemption options. Good to have would be a metal form factor (not a priority.)

• HDFC Infinia
  • SBI Cashback
  • IDFC Wealth
  • IDFC Mayura
  • ICICI Amazon Pay

Cards Shortlisted​

Axis Olympus
Pros
7+% reward rate for domestic use if transferred to Accor (taking Accor point value as Rs 1.8 each)

Cons
It's from AXIS bank.
Very long exclusion list. A lot of categories like tax, jewellery are outright excluded. I expect this list to keep growing rather than being reduced.
They have also added categories like Transportation and Property. I am not sure but is this to prevent people from swiping for down payments on cars and houses? If anyone can confirm, that would be appreciated! Because, I doubt they would have added it for Uber/Ola.

Axis Magnus
Pros

Cons
Offers little benefit over Infinia. For such little benefit, is it really worth getting?

Other cards considered​

Axis Reserve
I cannot hit/maintain the Burgundy Private relationship. This means my transfer rate will always be 5:2. It simply does not add enough value in terms of reward rate over the Infinia to justify the exorbitant joining fees.

Amex Platinum Charge
Amex has just terrible acceptance. Even in jewellery shops, as soon as I draw out an Amex, it is an immediate no-no. Most of this card's benefits stem from hotel loyalty programs which are not very interesting to me. As the base reward rate and offers are not great, I am not very inclined towards it.

Axis Magnus Burgundy
I am just putting this here but I never considered getting this card. I had a Magnus and a Burgundy account before introduction of this card. I had tried getting the Magnus Burgundy when it came out and was being offered LTF. They had the audacity to tell me that since I was maintaining Burgundy status due to the AMB of 10L, I was not eligible for Magnus Burgundy upgrade. I had to either maintain TRV of 30L or salary credit of 3L to get it. Due to this previous experience and the constant rejigging of T&C, I am not inclined.

Conclusion​

At the moment, Olympus seems like the best bet. However, since I will not be getting anything in several big ticket categories like jewellery, taxes, or purchases like car/house down payments, it also seems very niche.

Other than biz bizblack I'm not sure which cc you have missed though. A remarkable job you have done.

Gyftr is gone from axis.. if ur monthly spend in above 1.5L then think on axis burgundy Magnus. If not leave axis. Infinia is best u can have Amex or black biz Hdfc for tax n jewellery.

5-6 L spends combined in all 5 categories you mentioned is not much. I think Olympus will need ~10L spends to recover good RoI (that too non tax, non Jewellery). So I am not sure if it is much useful in your case

For Tax use amex plat travel on Canara gateway... Biz black is ideal, but it is good for people with >6L advance tax (otherwise joining + anual fees will be levied)

Infinia is best of Jewellery, even better if you can buy vouchers via smartbuy

I will try for BizBlack as a floater. Since, I am salaried let me try the offline route once. As I see it, even if I have 1L of tax payments it will pay for itself.
1L*16.66% = 16.6K which will easily cover the 10K+GST joining fees. Not like we are spoilt for choice in tax payments currently.

I will re-evaluate for Olympus. Maybe I am getting ahead of myself, AXIS still has to agree to give it to me.

So, talked to the credit card person in charge for a couple of branches nearby to my place. He directly said BizBlack floater is not possible if no business income in ITR.
Talked to my RM as well, he also said BizBlack as floater is not possible :(

So, talked to the credit card person in charge for a couple of branches nearby to my place. He directly said BizBlack floater is not possible if no business income in ITR.
Talked to my RM as well, he also said BizBlack as floater is not possible :(
Bizblack is only for self employed, no salaried

• advanced tax
  • jewellery
  • retail spends
  • online spends
  • forex spends

• HDFC Infinia
  • SBI Cashback
  • IDFC Wealth
  • IDFC Mayura
  • ICICI Amazon Pay

Cards Shortlisted​

Axis Olympus
Pros

Cons
It's from AXIS bank.

Axis Magnus
Pros

Cons

Other cards considered​

Axis Reserve

Amex Platinum Charge

Axis Magnus Burgundy

Conclusion​

Infinia is dying a slow death... Great opportunity for some competition to be aggressive..

Back