• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Moving out of India permanently. What will happen to my credit cards?

SPLA

TF Neo
I'm moving out of India permanently and I currently hold quite a lot of credit cards that I'd like to keep using. How would I tell the banks not to close my cards when I'm never coming back? I need the cards because, in a new country, the banks won't give me the same limit that I have with my Indian cards as I don't have any credit history. So until I build my history up I'd like to keep using my Indian cards.

Take this with a grain of salt.

Your cards won't be cancelled unless you officially declare that you are moving out of the country or jobless here. You need to use them once a year to keep them active as per RBI. If you or your family folks spend a lot on these cards repayment/remittance will be high.

Imo keep only the good cards open (Infinia/Magnus). Something which is worth the while since tracking the bills will be a huge task. If you miss, it will unnecessarily spoil your cibil.
If you hold AMEX you can transfer your card/report to another country, it will help you get a unsecured card quickly. Also build new relationships where you're moving to, most other countries have better credit card portfolios than India.

Good luck and keep the community posted.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will transfer my AMEX as you've suggested and keep the cards with the lowest foreign transaction charges. I need to convert my accounts to NRE to pay off my cards so eventually the banks will know. Also, need to keep in mind of the 20% LRS TCS. Will keep this post updated regarding when my cards do stop working.

Back