• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Multiple Bank Accounts

dhiraz

TF Ace
Dear Community Members!

We All Know in This Community Every Person Have Multiple Bank Accounts. Now I Just Wants to Know What is the Advantages and Disadvantages of Multiple Accounts and the Consequences of Having Multiple Accounts.

I Have These👇
1. HDFC - Savings Max (25K MAB)
2. IDFC - Signature DC (25K MAB)
3. Axis - Liberty (25K MAB)
4. ICICI - Regular (10K MAB)
5. Kotak - 811 (0 MAB)
6. SBI - Lotus Saving Bank-ADHAR-CHQ (0 MAB)
7. Union Bank - SBGEN (250 - 1k QAB)
8. Central Bank - HSS Account (500-2k QAB)
9. Fi - Neo Bank (0 MAB)
10. Jupiter - Neo Bank (0 MAB)
11. IPPB - Payments Bank (0 MAB)
12. NSDL - Payments Bank (0 MAB)

If You Are Comfortable With Sharing Which Accounts You Hold Please Share. Also Share Your Experience, Charges and Benefits. Currently Which One You Planning to Close or Opening Any & Give Useful Advice To Me and To Other Community Members.

Edit: Please Explain One More Things If We Have Multiple Accounts and We Usually Send Money From Own Account To Another Account How These Transaction Considered By Eyes of ITD?

Last edited:
I have 4 accounts in total. Have savings accounts in BOI, Axis (Liberty Family), HDFC (Classic Family) and salary account with ICICI. I do almost all card transactions in HDFC millennia DC and moneyback+ CC as I get better RP. Use ICICI for UPI transactions. Planning to close Axis account and open another in HDFC with Platinum debit card which will be part of classic group. I don't find any advantage in having too many accounts as it can be a bad investment. Better to have only those accounts that we use. We can have 3 to 4 accounts with atleast 1 account in Public sector bank. I am planning to restrict myself to 3.
Yes bro u are absolutely correct 3 4 accounts max is more than enough to manage funds..i have axis(sal priority) ,hdfc savings ,icici savings both 10k variant,bob ..now i am planning to close 1 from this ..cant close icici as home loan emi is getting auto debited & they forced me to open account for emi autodebit..please suggest

View attachment 6446

HDFC and ICICI are the primary accounts
SBI - First Account
PNB, BOB for Rupay Platinum Cards.
IDFC for savings, now planning to divide some to Fincare, 20k+ FD will make it 0 MAB.
Axis - Due to initial credit card rejections - planning to close or make it zero mab
IndusInd/Kotak for Pre-approved offers.
Fi and SBM for zero forex charge cards.

Want to check which all will report savings tax to AIS.
Dosent make any sence 3 4 accounts max is way to go ,its so much of hassle

Dosent make any sence 3 4 accounts max is way to go ,its so much of hassle
Only 2 bank accounts are used for regular transactions.
Rest are to mainly divide fixed deposits. Bank deposits as per my knowledge is only insured upto 5lakhs per user per bank.

If accounts are zero balance/low AMB with no ATM card charges, it wont cause you much hassle.

Only 2 bank accounts are used for regular transactions.
Rest are to mainly divide fixed deposits. Bank deposits as per my knowledge is only insured upto 5lakhs per user per bank.

If accounts are zero balance/low AMB with no ATM card charges, it wont cause you much hassle.
Thats again a personal choice. I will choose from top 5 banks of India & say no to Neo banks .. Not more than 10k in Payments Banks.. If anything happens to top 5 banks of India , economy will be shaken what happened in the past was different now its a different story.

Dear Community Members!

We All Know in This Community Every Person Have Multiple Bank Accounts. Now I Just Wants to Know What is the Advantages and Disadvantages of Multiple Accounts and the Consequences of Having Multiple Accounts.

I Have These👇
1. HDFC - Savings Max (25K MAB)
2. IDFC - Signature DC (25K MAB)
3. Axis - Liberty (25K MAB)
4. ICICI - Regular (10K MAB)
5. Kotak - 811 (0 MAB)
6. SBI - Lotus Saving Bank-ADHAR-CHQ (0 MAB)
7. Union Bank - SBGEN (250 - 1k QAB)
8. Central Bank - HSS Account (500-2k QAB)
9. Fi - Neo Bank (0 MAB)
10. Jupiter - Neo Bank (0 MAB)
11. IPPB - Payments Bank (0 MAB)
12. NSDL - Payments Bank (0 MAB)

If You Are Comfortable With Sharing Which Accounts You Hold Please Share. Also Share Your Experience, Charges and Benefits. Currently Which One You Planning to Close or Opening Any & Give Useful Advice To Me and To Other Community Members.

Edit: Please Explain One More Things If We Have Multiple Accounts and We Usually Send Money From Own Account To Another Account How These Transaction Considered By Eyes of ITD?
Reg IT as long as send and receive PAN is same they won’t even pick it as an alert.
Only clarification they seek if husband transfers 20 or 40 lakh to wife account that also surname match they do and filter out and as long as marriage cert there even if query comes we can proof the relationship and need of transfer
Coming back to no of accounts I have 8 and for my wife 4 and I ensure not to exceed transfer more than 18l which is my ITR
Almost I have all accounts u mentioned and recently closed one is kotak mahindra full account since they made false promise to give me white card but charged so I thrown them out

I have 4 accounts in total. Have savings accounts in BOI, Axis (Liberty Family), HDFC (Classic Family) and salary account with ICICI. I do almost all card transactions in HDFC millennia DC and moneyback+ CC as I get better RP. Use ICICI for UPI transactions. Planning to close Axis account and open another in HDFC with Platinum debit card which will be part of classic group. I don't find any advantage in having too many accounts as it can be a bad investment. Better to have only those accounts that we use. We can have 3 to 4 accounts with atleast 1 account in Public sector bank. I am planning to restrict myself to 3.
I have the following bank accounts
1. HDFC Savings 10K MAB (1st Bank account opened in 2012 , was salary from 2p15-2020)
2. Axis Priority Account 0â‚ą MAB- Salary account + saving account for my wife(as part of family banking)
3. Icici Saving account 10K MAB - Bank forced to open for home loan auto debit Emi.
4.BoB 2k MAB - using for Upi.

Now i want to bring this to just 3 accounts, also if any swap is reqd for salary account let me know as my company supports 10 banks (only sbi in PSU Rest all private hdfc,axis,icici also)

I am open to add , remove accounts based on suggestions.

Want to use account as.

1. Salary - will use for house expense,EMI , BILLS,Upi etc.
2. Investment - Mf,ppf,fd,stocks.
3. Emergency - only for emergency fund and will enable autosweep.
4.Zero bal - In case reqd for upi transaction to pay for etc expenses.. groceries,petrol..

My experience will all above banks is good except for ICICI but i might not be able to close it until the home loan emi is paid or I foreclose it which is not possible for now at least. Axis is good they gave me cheque book on temp address where hdfc failed to do so..but charges for adding mandate and deducts charges every month for 1 policy that u add. Hdfc dosent charge anything but axis tries to sell stuff which i dont entertain much. But RM is helpful calls me just on 1 email as soon as he reads it..hdfc is good did not charge me anything til date for 750â‚ą debit card even i moved from sal to normal saving. BOB is also good except its joint account so some things cannot be done on app.

I have the following bank accounts
1. HDFC Savings 10K MAB (1st Bank account opened in 2012 , was salary from 2p15-2020)
2. Axis Priority Account 0â‚ą MAB- Salary account + saving account for my wife(as part of family banking)
3. Icici Saving account 10K MAB - Bank forced to open for home loan auto debit Emi.
4.BoB 2k MAB - using for Upi.

Now i want to bring this to just 3 accounts, also if any swap is reqd for salary account let me know as my company supports 10 banks (only sbi in PSU Rest all private hdfc,axis,icici also)

I am open to add , remove accounts based on suggestions.

Want to use account as.

1. Salary - will use for house expense,EMI , BILLS,Upi etc.
2. Investment - Mf,ppf,fd,stocks.
3. Emergency - only for emergency fund and will enable autosweep.
4.Zero bal - In case reqd for upi transaction to pay for etc expenses.. groceries,petrol..

My experience will all above banks is good except for ICICI but i might not be able to close it until the home loan emi is paid or I foreclose it which is not possible for now at least. Axis is good they gave me cheque book on temp address where hdfc failed to do so..but charges for adding mandate and deducts charges every month for 1 policy that u add. Hdfc dosent charge anything but axis tries to sell stuff which i dont entertain much. But RM is helpful calls me just on 1 email as soon as he reads it..hdfc is good did not charge me anything til date for 750â‚ą debit card even i moved from sal to normal saving. BOB is also good except its joint account so some things cannot be done on app.
Axis priority salary account is good. ICICI salary account is also equally good but their savings account is bad. Close ICICI savings account if you can or convert it to salary account and close Axis account. If you have better rewarding credit card and not looking for any credit card offers or pre-approved loan offers from HDFC, close HDFC. Otherwise, you might need HDFC account for good debit card and offers. Almost all salary accounts come with auto sweep option. So it's better to use your salary account for auto sweep. For demat and trading account, I don't recommend any bank. Better to choose a proper broker who focus on broking. So this need not be a deciding factor. Hope this helps.

Axis priority salary account is good. ICICI salary account is also equally good but their savings account is bad. Close ICICI savings account if you can or convert it to salary account and close Axis account. If you have better rewarding credit card and not looking for any credit card offers or pre-approved loan offers from HDFC, close HDFC. Otherwise, you might need HDFC account for good debit card and offers. Almost all salary accounts come with auto sweep option. So it's better to use your salary account for auto sweep. For demat and trading account, I don't recommend any bank. Better to choose a proper broker who focus on broking. So this need not be a deciding factor. Hope this helps.
Yes i am using Angel Broking & Zerodha,Grow for investments in mf,equities so i will link 1 bank account for that purpose only

Secondly i will mostly not able to close ICICI as it was specifically open for autodebit emi which they forcefully told me to open otherwise the intrest rate would have been 0.1% more..I dont know how much true is this..i rem i signed a document that states this..but the customer care is telling me its not reqd to open account with icici just sign auto-mandate form..so if i close icici i dont know if they will increase the roi

No i dont have an high variant credit cards ..i just have amazon pay icici,flikart axis,sbi simply save,bob priemer,icici coral..i did a mistake by closing jdfc Times which had 5L limit they were about to give me Regalia but the times card got closed b4 that..so now i have to wait for 6 months again..

Axis i am using since last 3yrs but haven't received pre approved offer for high variant ltf cc..

So ultimately it boils down to hdfc,icici,bob..hdfc can be closed of pre-approved offers or high variant rewarding dc or cc is not reqd..even for 10k mab hdfc has provided me a RM..and platinum debit card is still ltf..

I have

SBI Account :- My first ever account. I was very excited when it got opened. But, later, all my interests were gone, after I realized what PSU banks are. I suffered heavily due to horrible UPI services. But, it's ATM Card services, Auto Debit facilities are some of the best , in terms of charges, ease of access, etc. So, I use it for that.

UCO Bank :- Opened just because I wanted to get away from SBI Account for day to day basis. I chose this bank because my Mausa ji was the Regional General Manager of the bank. However, they could not give me a Debit Card properly. I tried applying from Mobile Banking, but it could not be activated. I found out that many people are facing the same issue. So, closed it after a while.

PNB Bank :- To avoid UCO Bank. Normally I got funding of around Rs 3-4 lakhs/year from my parents and family members for grocery, and all. So, I would use this extensively for UPI transactions. So much that, frequently, my account would exceed the Credit Limit Quota (max. 4 lakh could be credited to my PNB Account, which would get exhausted quickly). One needs to visit the circle officer to enhance this limit .Sometimes, I would not even get the money credited to or debited from my account. So, I had to close it.

======================== I was a student until then ====================================================

ICICI Account :- My First Indian Private Bank account. It's also my salary account. Until this point, I was very very afraid of Private Banks because of their charges. But, I had to open this account, because my previous company had business with this bank. But, once my account with ICICI was opened, I felt like a business man, even though I was getting chutta salary at that time. The services were excellent. No need to fill up forms, branch executives were very helpful. They would not pester me to make investments or create FD (only Private Bank in my experience), despite having very heavy transactions. Got pre-approved ICICI Amazonpay Credit Card. However, soon, I realised that I need another saving account to manage my expenses well. I cant use salary account to make regular transactions.

BOB Account :-
One of the best PSU banks. Although the Net Banking is not very user-friendly, and both Net banking and M-Banking faces multiple downtimes, I have never had a problem with UPI transactions. However , I still had to visit the bank for minor changes, so I reduced my usage after a few months. I didn't close this account, as it was 0 MAB

HDFC Bank :- Horrible M-Banking experience, but excellent Internet banking and UPI experience. This is my primary account. I started with Savings Max (25k MAB), but now, it's Classic. (1 Lakh). The first official pre-approved card, I got, was from HDFC Bank. However, since the branch manager, and most of the branch employees are very well known to my Uncle, they kept pesturing me to open FD or make investments. I have done several FDs and Investments, but because of this insane disturbance from branch employees, I decided not use do it with HDFC. But, the bank services are good for me. Of course, they don't help you when you require it (Credit Card, Limit Enhancement etc.).

Axis Bank :- Got bored with ICICI, so when I switch job, I wanted to switch bank as well. However, I found that it is THE WORST PRIVATE BANK IN THE COUNTRY. The only good things are credit cards (no pre-approved, applied online), and Nodal/Principle Nodal Officer. Rest of the stuff is useless starting from customer care, branch employees, etc. Also, it's salary account is one of the worst, with charges everywhere. So, will close the account soon (by the end of the year 2022). My lost love for ICICI bank was re-ignited because of Axis.

IDFC First Bank:- Had opened an account, due to high Savings account interest rate and no home branch concept. However, the services are pathetic. Although it's better than Axis Bank, but it is still not good. I had multiple problems with this bank. So, I closed the account in 2 months of opening (only because there was no charge for Pre-mature account closure, unlike Axis).

Kotak Mahindra Bank:- This was my first true Private Account, at a time, when it first started zero balance account. I had the 811 variant. However, despite multiple reminders, nobody came to complete KYC , and at that time VKYC was not always done. So, it was auto-closed. However, I had to save an emergency fund somewhere , and I found this bank better than Axis Bank, so I re-opened this, and it was converted to Everyday savings account. It has some bad UPI services, and I cannot generate Internet Banking password yet, but rest all seems good.

Fi Bank:- This was my initial plan to save all my emergency funds, however, not even a year had passed, that I had to complete Re-KYC frequently. If I failed, the account would get frozen and don't know what would happen. So, I closed it out of fear.

SBM Bank :- Got it as a gift after signing in for INdMoney. I don't know, why I have this account.

Airtel Payments Bank :- It got opened accidentally, since I was registering for Airtel Wallet. Since I found no suitable benefits, and at my time, the interest was reduced heavily, and since the Airtel Customer Support was pathetic, I closed it.

PayTM Payments Bank :- Wanted to check this bank. Also, I always get a message that for sending money from PayTM wallet to Bank account, PayTM pays a good money to the receiving bank. So, I thought that by creating a PayTM bank account, I can send the wallet money to PayTM bank for free , since apna admi hai, and then send that money to other accounts through UPI. Guess what, ghanta.. So, I closed it anyhow.

Update :- Forgot to mention this one

DBS DigiBank :- Had this account just after Kotak 811. It was one of the best bank. It still is. But, I had opened this account when I was in Bangalore, and after that pandemic happened, and our PGs were shut, so I had to move back to my hometown Odisha. Since this bank did not have services in Odisha at that time, I had to close it. Unlucky me, the bank opened a branch just 1 month after I closed the account. But we need to support Indian banks, and I already had other Private bank accounts, so I didn't re-open the account.

Last edited:
I have

SBI Account :- My first ever account. I was very excited when it got opened. But, later, all my interests were gone, after I realized what PSU banks are. I suffered heavily due to horrible UPI services. But, it's ATM Card services, Auto Debit facilities are some of the best , in terms of charges, ease of access, etc. So, I use it for that.

UCO Bank :- Opened just because I wanted to get away from SBI Account for day to day basis. I chose this bank because my Mausa ji was the Regional General Manager of the bank. However, they could not give me a Debit Card properly. I tried applying from Mobile Banking, but it could not be activated. I found out that many people are facing the same issue. So, closed it after a while.

PNB Bank :- To avoid UCO Bank. Normally I got funding of around Rs 3-4 lakhs/year from my parents and family members for grocery, and all. So, I would use this extensively for UPI transactions. So much that, frequently, my account would exceed the Credit Limit Quota (max. 4 lakh could be credited to my PNB Account, which would get exhausted quickly). One needs to visit the circle officer to enhance this limit .Sometimes, I would not even get the money credited to or debited from my account. So, I had to close it.

======================== I was a student until then ====================================================

ICICI Account :- My First Private Bank account. It's also my salary account. Until this point, I was very very afraid of Private Banks because of their charges. But, I had to open this account, because my previous company had business with this bank. But, once my account with ICICI was opened, I felt like a business man, even though I was getting chutta salary at that time. The services were excellent. No need to fill up forms, branch executives were very helpful. They would not pester me to make investments or create FD (only Private Bank in my experience), despite having very heavy transactions. Got pre-approved ICICI Amazonpay Credit Card. However, soon, I realised that I need another saving account to manage my expenses well. I cant use salary account to make regular transactions.

BOB Account :-
One of the best PSU banks. Although the Net Banking is not very user-friendly, and both Net banking and M-Banking faces multiple downtimes, I have never had a problem with UPI transactions. However , I still had to visit the bank for minor changes, so I reduced my usage after a few months. I didn't close this account, as it was 0 MAB

HDFC Bank :- Horrible M-Banking experience, but excellent Internet banking and UPI experience. This is my primary account. I started with Savings Max (25k MAB), but now, it's Classic. (1 Lakh). The first official pre-approved card, I got, was from HDFC Bank. However, since the branch manager, and most of the branch employees are very well known to my Uncle, they kept pesturing me to open FD or make investments. I have done several FDs and Investments, but because of this insane disturbance from branch employees, I decided not use do it with HDFC. But, the bank services are good for me. Of course, they don't help you when you require it (Credit Card, Limit Enhancement etc.).

Axis Bank :- Got bored with ICICI, so when I switch job, I wanted to switch bank as well. However, I found that it is THE WORST PRIVATE BANK IN THE COUNTRY. The only good things are credit cards (no pre-approved, applied online), and Nodal/Principle Nodal Officer. Rest of the stuff is useless starting from customer care, branch employees, etc. Also, it's salary account is one of the worst, with charges everywhere. So, will close the account soon (by the end of the year 2022). My lost love for ICICI bank was re-ignited because of Axis.

IDFC First Bank:- Had opened an account, due to high Savings account interest rate and no home branch concept. However, the services are pathetic. Although it's better than Axis Bank, but it is still not good. I had multiple problems with this bank. So, I closed the account in 2 months of opening (only because there was no charge for Pre-mature account closure, unlike Axis).

Kotak Mahindra Bank:- This was my first true Private Account, at a time, when it first started zero balance account. I had the 811 variant. However, despite multiple reminders, nobody came to complete KYC , and at that time VKYC was not always done. So, it was auto-closed. However, I had to save an emergency fund somewhere , and I found this bank better than Axis Bank, so I re-opened this, and it was converted to Everyday savings account. It has some bad UPI services, and I cannot generate Internet Banking password yet, but rest all seems good.

Fi Bank:- This was my initial plan to save all my emergency funds, however, not even a year had passed, that I had to complete Re-KYC frequently. If I failed, the account would get frozen and don't know what would happen. So, I closed it out of fear.

SBM Bank :- Got it as a gift after signing in for INdMoney. I don't know, why I have this account.

Airtel Payments Bank :- It got opened accidentally, since I was registering for Airtel Wallet. Since I found no suitable benefits, and at my time, the interest was reduced heavily, and since the Airtel Customer Support was pathetic, I closed it.

PayTM Payments Bank :- Wanted to check this bank. Also, I always get a message that for sending money from PayTM wallet to Bank account, PayTM pays a good money to the receiving bank. So, I thought that by creating a PayTM bank account, I can send the wallet money to PayTM bank for free , since apna admi hai, and then send that money to other accounts through UPI. Guess what, ghanta.. So, I closed it anyhow.
That was indeed a good experience for you.. so from what i can make out only icici & bob turned out to be good for you overall..I have decent experience with axis .. however the RM forces me for lots of schemes i just keep my point and ignore..hdfc my experience is also good.. actually i hardly go to bank branches so i can avoid all the marketing tactics by bank employees

Reactions: AsB
That was indeed a good experience for you.. so from what i can make out only icici & bob turned out to be good for you overall..I have decent experience with axis .. however the RM forces me for lots of schemes i just keep my point and ignore..hdfc my experience is also good.. actually i hardly go to bank branches so i can avoid all the marketing tactics by bank employees
I too don't go to the branch often. But sometimes, I go to deposit money. And other times, the HDFC RM calls me with useless schemes.

Reactions: kjs
I too don't go to the branch often. But sometimes, I go to deposit money. And other times, the HDFC RM calls me with useless schemes.
Ok just say a polite No if its irrelevant to you..even my axis RM tells me to tranfer all money from other accounts and open FD only in axis as if only provides only best roi.. just tell i dont do Fd ..also i need a loan in between to which he forced me to take only from axis ..he should have suggested me to take on security or on lic..which aftr taking loan i came to know that hdfc provides its very easily..he forced me for pre approved only from axis..

Ok just say a polite No if its irrelevant to you..even my axis RM tells me to tranfer all money from other accounts and open FD only in axis as if only provides only best roi.. just tell i dont do Fd ..also i need a loan in between to which he forced me to take only from axis ..he should have suggested me to take on security or on lic..which aftr taking loan i came to know that hdfc provides its very easily..he forced me for pre approved only from axis..
I understand that they have sales target. So, I try being polite. But, I used to get calls from him like 2-3 times a day, 4-5 days a week. One time, I was driving on the National Highway, and I got his call. I picked his call. Again FD. I told him to call me after 1 hr, as I would have reached my home. In the next 5 minutes, he called me again. I told him that I am driving. He said that "please create a FD", and another one in 30 minutes..... I got fed up. No more polite behaviour for him.

I understand that they have sales target. So, I try being polite. But, I used to get calls from him like 2-3 times a day, 4-5 days a week. One time, I was driving on the National Highway, and I got his call. I picked his call. Again FD. I told him to call me after 1 hr, as I would have reached my home. In the next 5 minutes, he called me again. I told him that I am driving. He said that "please create a FD", and another one in 30 minutes..... I got fed up. No more polite behaviour for him.
Yeah ..my RM happened me to call 4 times b4 expiry day when i told me that i will take a health insurance policy before it expires..i was on a client call..and then he called my wife..hes more concerned about my policies rather than me..yes ur incident is too much annoying ..just give him firm and strict answers or email his supervisor keeping him in cc..

Reactions: AsB
Back