• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Need guidance on bank account management, I am confused

MeTejaHu

TF Select
A long post, so bear with me please. TLDR below.
My current situation:
I have salary account with HDFC (preferred). I opened another account through RM for my wife. This is primarily used for an FD of 5L as an emergency fund.
As soon as I get my salary, once all bills are paid, I transfer everything to my wife's account leaving some money for UPI in my account. My wife is a stock trader and this account is linked to her Zerodha. For trading capital, occasionally 1-2L is in her account for 1-2 weeks and moved to MF SIP/Zerodha when needed. So except the 5L FD, mostly 10k around is left in saving account for her UPI spends.
We do not have any other active accounts.

Non usage accounts (I know I screwed up):
We both have Yes bank accounts which we do not use. We want to close this. What is the best way to do this?
We get KYC update messages from these accounts but don't hold anything there. We opened this at the start of our career with no knowledge of banking.

What I need:
Experience with HDFC has been pathetic, as another user pointed out- HDFC a private sarkari bank. I don't have a choice to move my salary account.
I don't want to give any business to HDFC. But at the same time have no idea which bank is good or bad. I simply don't trust that I will get the best offer or service.
I want to open a SSY account for my daughter. I might also require a home loan of 1cr+ in 2024.

I am also willing to move my emergency funds and zerodha linking, but given the reliability of HDFC netbanking I would need a bank that has very less downtime.

<TLDR>
Want a reliable savings account for family savings and SSY. Not HDFC.
</TLDR>

Standard chartered usually gets a bad rep but it has been quite the underdog. Absolutely no nonsense bank. Everything can be done online. No spamming. Never visited their branch. No downtime other than scheduled maintenance.

Of late I am starting to think that scammers don't bother either. The usual suspects are HDFC, ICICI, etc.
My experience has been different. My savings accounts are frozen because I need to visit the branch to do kyc, which apparently cannot be don't online, but they were willing to do eKYC and give me a credit card. All this though am Priority customer with Infinite debit card or whatever.
My next visit to Standard chartered Bank will be to close the accounts.

How do I shift my home branch from bangalore to Mumbai? If I visit nearest HDFC will that be enough?
Not sure if its even required. I have hdfc account of Mumbai branch since inception. But I am not in Mumbai since last 5 yrs +. Always get work done at nearest branch if any and they do it without any issues. My branch visits are hardly there being salary account not required as such.

Back