• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Need help! BSNL Terminated My Number

MrJJ

TF Ace
My BSNL SIM wasn't receiving signal for a few days so I went to BSNL office and they said my connection got terminated due to DoT complaint.
I asked for copy of the complaint but they did not provide any.
Only solution they are giving me is to get it re-issued in postpaid.

Please help me or provide any suggestion on what to do, it's my main number for receiving OTPs.

PS: Number was used only to receive calls and OTPs, was rarely used for calling.

Last edited:
Now where are those guys who keep cursing Ambanis and Adanis ? This is the exact reason why we don't want govt. undertakings.

Complain on X, take in writings that number was disconnected due to dot complain. Like email or screenshot. And file harrasment case on bsnl trai dot and goi
As it's bsnl i don't think you have any option other than taking the postpaid as that ghuskhor babu suggested.
🙂

Was EKYC or DKYC available with this sim? Last year my 4 BSNL sims were deactivated and given reason DoT complaint but all were actually not having any DKYC/eKYC. As there was no IC SMS BSN,L because not recharged from 5 years or so, couldn't request for its KYC so they closed it. Mostly sim purchased with physical forms are deactivated since 2022 by BSNL as they lost physical forms in floods and fire instances where they kept it.

@HumorSimpson Pasted.

@All, whoever holding sims that were bought on physical document should complete their eKYC/DKYC at earliest as your sim can stop anytime without prior notice if you don't have IC SMS. Recently Vi sent me sms and I let sim go as wasn't necessary. It was deactivated after 15 days of SMS/call.

DoT in 2021 made it mandatory for all operators to do reKYC activity of SIM cards which were not having eKYC/DKYC(Voter ID/DL etc.). This excercise is still going on.

Info 2: If any sim was found by cyber cell in illegal activity or getting funds from wallet registered with mobile numbers who are invloved in scams, they deactivate all sim found in trails during investigation. So Telegram people stay alert. Don't sell your stuff and receive money via IMPS if that number is invloved in scam. You may lose your number also.

Was EKYC or DKYC available with this sim? Last year my 4 BSNL sims were deactivated and given reason DoT complaint but all were actually not having any DKYC/eKYC. As there was no IC SMS BSN,L because not recharged from 5 years or so, couldn't request for its KYC so they closed it. Mostly sim purchased with physical forms are deactivated since 2022 by BSNL as they lost physical forms in floods and fire instances where they kept it.

@HumorSimpson Pasted.

@All, whoever holding sims that were bought on physical document should complete their eKYC/DKYC at earliest as your sim can stop anytime without prior notice if you don't have IC SMS. Recently Vi sent me sms and I let sim go as wasn't necessary. It was deactivated after 15 days of SMS/call.

DoT in 2021 made it mandatory for all operators to do reKYC activity of SIM cards which were not having eKYC/DKYC(Voter ID/DL etc.). This excercise is still going on.

Info 2: If any sim was found by cyber cell in illegal activity or getting funds from wallet registered with mobile numbers who are invloved in scams, they deactivate all sim found in trails during investigation. So Telegram people stay alert. Don't sell your stuff and receive money via IMPS if that number is invloved in scam. You may lose your number also.
My SIM was activated by eKYC (with fingerprint and photo).

I did not receive any call/sms regarding re-kyc.

Number was mostly used for receiving OTPs and incoming calls, if it was flagged by DoT I don't know what could be the reason for it.

My SIM was activated by eKYC (with fingerprint and photo).

I did not receive any call/sms regarding re-kyc.

Number was mostly used for receiving OTPs and incoming calls, if it was flagged by DoT I don't know what could be the reason for it.
It is very strange. But again many numbers get re-issued. There may be some issue when the number was with previous owner. I will not rule out that your number may get flagged wrongly by DoT or maybe your curreny KYC info. wasn't sufficient but again BSNL should have intimated you.

Have you inserted more than 4 sims in same mobile slot within short span of time? If that is not the case also, then you were wrongly flagged. As per recent developments in last 3 months DoT has directed operators to keep a watch on mobile phones which insert too many sims and AI alert cyber cell wing. They then keep those mobiles on watch and even listen to conversations by getting it from operator in rare cases. If they find it okay, they leave it there.

Rules say, you can't have more than 9 sims on same person ID. Recently implemeted, uou can't insert more than 4 sims in one slot as AI flag that mobile now. In worst case they can block IMEI also and won't give expalnation for that but it is rare. Happening with many people in West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand and UP but not in mainstream media due to DoT directives.

Problem here is cyber cell or DoT and not answerable due to law that give them cushion. Telecom watchdog had moved to Delhi court last year regarding same, so that if number is deactivated and user had no fault, atleast explanation should be done on DoT/Operator part but you know how our system lacks accountability. Crores of sims have been deactivated and it's not easy to provide explanation to all.

It is very strange. But again many numbers get re-issued. There may be some issue when the number was with previous owner. I will not rule out that your number may get flagged wrongly by DoT or maybe your curreny KYC info. wasn't sufficient but again BSNL should have intimated you.

Have you inserted more than 4 sims in same mobile slot within short span of time? If that is not the case also, then you were wrongly flagged. As per recent developments in last 3 months DoT has directed operators to keep a watch on mobile phones which insert too many sims and AI alert cyber cell wing. They then keep those mobiles on watch and even listen to conversations by getting it from operator in rare cases. If they find it okay, they leave it there.

Rules say, you can't have more than 9 sims on same person ID. Recently implemeted, uou can't insert more than 4 sims in one slot as AI flag that mobile now. In worst case they can block IMEI also and won't give expalnation for that but it is rare. Happening with many people in West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand and UP but not in mainstream media due to DoT directives.

Problem here is cyber cell or DoT and not answerable due to law that give them cushion. Telecom watchdog has moved to Delhi court last year regarding same, so that if number is deactivated and user had no fault, atleast explanation should be done on DoT/Operator part but you know how our system lacks accountability. Crores of sims have been deactivated and it's not easy to provide explanation to all.
Mind blowing information. Thanks a lot.

Problem here is cyber cell or DoT and not answerable due to law that give them cushion. Telecom watchdog had moved to Delhi court last year regarding same, so that if number is deactivated and user had no fault, atleast explanation should be done on DoT/Operator part but you know how our system lacks accountability. Crores of sims have been deactivated and it's not easy to provide explanation to all.
Thanks for the detailed post.

Unfortunately my case isn't fitting in any of the scenario except that it was wrongly flagged.

1. I'm the owner of the number since it's issuance (2010). It was ported a few times during this time (3-4 times). It was with BSNL for last 2-3 years.

2. I've changed only 1 device since 2020 so no question of 4 SIMS in 1 slot. It was my main SIM for bank OTPs so after UPI it was kind of hassle to change SIM as you need to do the verification again and that 24hr limit etc.

3. All my phones are newly purchased so there is now way of phone being previously used by someone.

4. I checked with TAFCOP there are only 3 SIMS on my name/id, all of them are in my use, no third person can access them.

Thanks for the detailed post.

Unfortunately my case isn't fitting in any of the scenario except that it was wrongly flagged.

1. I'm the owner of the number since it's issuance (2010). It was ported a few times during this time (3-4 times). It was with BSNL for last 2-3 years.

2. I've changed only 1 device since 2020 so no question of 4 SIMS in 1 slot. It was my main SIM for bank OTPs so after UPI it was kind of hassle to change SIM as you need to do the verification again and that 24hr limit etc.

3. All my phones are newly purchased so there is now way of phone being previously used by someone.

4. I checked with TAFCOP there are only 3 SIMS on my name/id, all of them are in my use, no third person can access them.
Move to consumer forum then or if you have a strong relation with someone at BSNL CSC, get the info. out from them.

TAFCOP system is not full proof even after so many years of launch. Due to undercooked software, your number may have shown in someone else's ID after login due to glitch and they may have got this number closed. There is more of a chance of AI going bad when Name is same and Pin code also same. We have hundred of people with same name/surname in India within 50 Km radius. I also flagged around 3 numbers which were shown to me in 2022 but wasn't mine. Due to software glitch it appeared and I may have wrongly closed someone else's genuine numbers. In 2023, a number started appearing after logging in with one of my own numbers and I didn't reported. After few months it disappeared. So this way I came to know that my own genuine number if some day appear wrongly in someone's tafcop they will request to get it deactivated. Situation is dangerous with no solution as operator is just ordered to cancel that number. All we can do is then move consumer forum against DoT/Operator.

People often says these days, AI is future but for me it is future destroyer with no regards for human rights. :(

Got the postpaid SIM today.

I feel kind of cheated. I had active outgoing validity of 26 days remaining and main balance of ₹400~. Had to pay for the SIM again + ₹500 security deposit for postpaid connection + unwanted postpaid bill for atleast 3 months + time wasted.

Is there any way I can file complaint in consumer court against BSNL? (Preferably online).

BTW DoT thing is still unclear. Had to stand in the queue for 20 minutes, I was in hurry and forgot to ask about it.

Got the postpaid SIM today.

I feel kind of cheated. I had active outgoing validity of 26 days remaining and main balance of ₹400~. Had to pay for the SIM again + ₹500 security deposit for postpaid connection + unwanted postpaid bill for atleast 3 months + time wasted.

Is there any way I can file complaint in consumer court against BSNL? (Preferably online).

BTW DoT thing is still unclear. Had to stand in the queue for 20 minutes, I was in hurry and forgot to ask about it.
This preferably online is the reason such things happen to people because even they know people won't come out of their chair and fight against wrong. I have spend many months of my life in consumer forums. In 2009 Airtel deducted only Rs.30 for Hello tune I didn't subscribed. I made them run for their lives and consumer forum awarded me Rs.10K that time. Bro, if all started thinking like this, one day Army will also sit at home and look for soultion from comfort of their chair. A war is fought only on ground zero. Get out of your comfort and visit consumer forum. It will take Rs.25 fee and a white paper complaint og 1 page and rest will be done by forum itself.

Back