• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Need help with first card

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Basic info :-
- 25/F
- Occupation Type :- Salaried, Pvt Ltd Company
- Gross salary :- 30k/month
- Cibil :- NH
- Experian :- 806 (showing Amex and ICICI Add on)
- Current Holdings :-
All add ons only
Amex Plat Travel
Axis Vistara Signature
HDFC DCB PVC
HDFC Tata Neu Infinity
ICICI Amazon Pay
No loans or BNPL ever
- ITR :- Never filed till date
- Bank Accounts - SBI(Salary A/c), Yes, Canara, HDFC(3 Months old)

Applied for Yes Ace(Pre approved, later rejected), Amex MRCC, SBI CB, Indusind Eazydiner(Pre approved, later rejected), Jupiter card,
No pre-approved cards on HDFC,
Also tried Flipkart Paylater but not approved
No offer for Amazon Paylater or Paytm Postpaid
So can't get any card till date

Longer Version :-
So I've been trying to get a card for my gf,
i can go through secured route but in my experience they never get converted to unsecure and we'll have to cancel it eventually(which becomes sad to do for your first and oldest card on cibil, i know because I've done it for my SBI Gold & More card from college days)
I've been trying to apply unsecured cards for her left & right but to no avail,
even tried some bnpl but didn't work,
onecard showing nothing to offer at the moment
Last card applied was RBL Supermax through Bank bazaar, response awaited

So is there anyway to get her an unsecured card,
Income and physical verification is not an issue

Last edited:
Did you have her check her GPay to see if Axis Ace is being offered? If yes have her apply for that.
It is one of the best no non-sense cards for people who are not CC aficionados and absolutely worth the Rs 500 + GST annual fee.

You have applied for a lot of card. And all of those were rejected. Could you find out what was the reason?. It would be better to understand that first. Being salaried , it should not have been this difficult to get it.

Wait for some time (at least 3 months) before you apply for another unsecured card. And always apply for a card after double checking that you are meeting the eligibility criteria. No point in unnecessarily applying.

any way good luck..

This should be a good option, it's Visa Infinite along with the other benefits, it'll help you build some CIBIL history, which is why I suppose your applications are being rejected.
What Visa Infinite offers can I avail of using IDFC Wow card? I have heard people say it doesn't work for BMS BOGO offers. So what else can I extract?

Did you have her check her GPay to see if Axis Ace is being offered? If yes have her apply for that.
It is one of the best no non-sense cards for people who are not CC aficionados and absolutely worth the Rs 500 + GST annual fee.
She does have gpay, will look into it

You have applied for a lot of card. And all of those were rejected. Could you find out what was the reason?. It would be better to understand that first. Being salaried , it should not have been this difficult to get it.

Wait for some time (at least 3 months) before you apply for another unsecured card. And always apply for a card after double checking that you are meeting the eligibility criteria. No point in unnecessarily applying.

any way good luck..
Mostly i think the reason is no cibil and no itr

All the cards i applied were either basic variants or pre approved cards, so eligibility itself is not an issue here i think

Of course!! She might not have a CIBIL score but she has a credit history, which will be termed as NTC.

Don’t play around man it’s not your own credit history you are affecting, it’s another persons
Allright, will be careful now ownwards, no more wild goose chase

Though her onescore shows no cibil record and her experian doesn't show any credit enquiries till now

To everyone here suggesting secured card,

My first card was an SBI Gold and More Card which i got in my 2nd Yr MBBS with 20k FD for 14k limit about a decade ago,

I held on to it till about 3 yrs ago, by that time i had accumulated over 10 cards with highest limit of 5L, even one from SBI with a limit of 1L

But SBI never bothered to make it unsecured, even when i was about to close it they couldn't help me, and it was hard for me to close my first and oldest cibil record card

This left me with a bad taste for secured cards, precisely the reason why I'm keeping them as a last resort

To everyone who is suggesting secured card,

My first card was SBI Gold and More Card which i got my 2nd Yr MBBS for 20k FD for 14k limit about a decade ago,

I held on to it till about 3 yrs ago, by that time i had accumulated over 10 cards with highest limit of 5L on many of them, even one from SBI with a limit of 1L

But SBI never bothered to make it unsecured, even when i was about to close it they couldn't help me, and it was hard for me close my first and oldest cibil record card

This left me with a bad taste for secured cards, precisely the reason why I'm keep that as a last resort
You can opt for Lazypay if you do not like secured cards. Better not to have so many enquiries on her cibil. As for IDFC wow, from what I’ve heard you can close the card after getting an unsecured card from another bank and apply for an unsecured IDFC card 6 months later

Basic info :-
- 25/F
- Occupation Type :- Salaried, Pvt Ltd Company
- Gross salary :- 30k/month
- Cibil :- NH
- Experian :- 806 (showing Amex and ICICI Add on)
- Current Holdings :-
All add ons only
Amex Plat Travel
Axis Vistara Signature
HDFC DCB PVC
HDFC Tata Neu Infinity
ICICI Amazon Pay
No loans or BNPL ever
- ITR :- Never filed till date
- Bank Accounts - SBI(Salary A/c), Yes, Canara, HDFC(3 Months old)

Applied for Yes Ace(Pre approved, later rejected), Amex MRCC, SBI CB, Indusind Eazydiner(Pre approved, later rejected), Jupiter card,
No pre-approved cards on HDFC,
Also tried Flipkart Paylater but not approved
No offer for Amazon Paylater or Paytm Postpaid
So can't get any card till date

Longer Version :-
So I've been trying to get a card for my gf,
i can go through secured route but in my experience they never get converted to unsecure and we'll have to cancel it eventually(which becomes sad to do for your first and oldest card on cibil, i know because I've done it for my SBI Gold & More card from college days)
I've been trying to apply unsecured cards for her left & right but to no avail,
even tried some bnpl but didn't work,
onecard showing nothing to offer at the moment
Last card applied was RBL Supermax through Bank bazaar, response awaited

So is there anyway to get her an unsecured card,
Income and physical verification is not an issue
After reading ur post I was surprised,
Remember: multiple inquiries will lead to the rejection of CCs so, be patient and don't apply any card for the upcoming 3 months
Also, Don't avail any BNPL or pay later services just to build credit history just wait for some time

From ur post, it is clear that she is eligible for most of the basic credit cards
Being salaried this should not happen in her case, ok, There are 3 ways to get her one

1. Use her HDFC platinum DC and pay ur cc bills via any platform except HDFC Bill pay (assuming she has plat DC) if possible use her dc for every purchase)
- HDFC does offer cc within 3 to 6 months but use ur account regularly
2. shop on Amazon and pay bills via Amazon (prime membership is not mandatory) use it regularly then the offer may appear in her amazon account
- I got my ICICI Apay cc without relation with ICICI, without Prime mem, with low usage of Amazon
3. Not Recommended as she is already getting salary: Get a secured credit card pref IDFC WOW, ICICI Plat.

Follow these steps and apply for a card after 3 months..

Good luck

If u find my post helpful mark this as the solution.

After reading ur post I was surprised,
Remember: multiple inquiries will lead to the rejection of CCs so, be patient and don't apply any card for the upcoming 3 months
Also, Don't avail any BNPL or pay later services just to build credit history just wait for some time

From ur post, it is clear that she is eligible for most of the basic credit cards
Being salaried this should not happen in her case, ok, There are 3 ways to get her one

1. Use her HDFC platinum DC and pay ur cc bills via any platform except HDFC Bill pay (assuming she has plat DC) if possible use her dc for every purchase)
- HDFC does offer cc within 3 to 6 months but use ur account regularly
2. shop on Amazon and pay bills via Amazon (prime membership is not mandatory) use it regularly then the offer may appear in her amazon account
- I got my ICICI Apay cc without relation with ICICI, without Prime mem, with low usage of Amazon
3. Not Recommended as she is already getting salary: Get a secured credit card pref IDFC WOW, ICICI Plat.

Follow these steps and apply for a card after 3 months..

Good luck

If u find my post helpful mark this as the solution.
She has HDFC Plat D/c free coz i got her preferred banking from my rm, I'll start paying my C/c bills from her account on Mobikwik

I'll use her Amazon for my purchases and bill payments, she mostly uses Flipkart and Meesho for shopping

Fd cards like IDFC Wow and ICICI Plat will be last resort

P.s. how mark post as solution, i don't any option for that ?

My first card was an SBI Gold and More Card which i got in my 2nd Yr MBBS with 20k FD for 14k limit about a decade ago,

I held on to it till about 3 yrs ago, by that time i had accumulated over 10 cards with highest limit of 5L, even one from SBI with a limit of 1L

But SBI never bothered to make it unsecured, even when i was about to close it they couldn't help me, and it was hard for me to close my first and oldest cibil record card

This left me with a bad taste for secured cards, precisely the reason why I'm keeping them as a last resort
No issue
it doesn't matter even if u close ur oldest account as the credit age contribution is 10% of ur overall credit score
so, the score may decrease a bit but later can be recovered easily
Don't worry about this factor

Allright, will be careful now ownwards, no more wild goose chase

Though her onescore shows no cibil record and her experian doesn't show any credit enquiries till now

They won’t show it to you. They will show it to banks. NTC has a credit score of -1.

Experian not showing credit enquiries just means the bank did not check her Experian score.

I just hope you haven’t done long term damage by applying for personal loans and then getting rejected

They won’t show it to you. They will show it to banks. NTC has a credit score of -1.

Experian not showing credit enquiries just means the bank did not check her Experian score.

I just hope you haven’t done long term damage by applying for personal loans and then getting rejected
No personal loans applied ever, personally i despise that stuff
I just stick to credit cards

Your reason for avoiding secured cards is not a very convincing one, I am afraid! Rather it sounds more like a psychological barrier.

No Bank, including SBI, is bound to convert a secured card to an unsecured one. The reason behind going for a secured card is to get a card easily and quickly for a purpose. When that purpose is served, move on to an unsecured card that suits you better, from anywhere. You seem to have done just that for yourself!

Closing the older card should not be a problem either. If the gap between the date of issue of the older card and a newer unsecured one is not large, closing the old one hardly matters. In any case, disadvantages of closing an old card is highly overrated, as other members have also pointed out.

Last edited:
Your reason for avoiding secured cards is not a very convincing one, I am afraid! Rather it sounds more like a psychological barrier.

No Bank, including SBI, is bound to convert a secured card to an unsecured one. The reason behind going for a secured card is to get a card easily and quickly for a purpose. When that purpose is served, move on to an unsecured card that suits you better, from anywhere. You seem to have done just that for yourself! Closing the older card should not be a problem either. If the gap between the date of issue of the older card and a newer unsecured one is not large, closing the old one hardly matters. In any case, disadvantages of closing an old card is highly overrated, as other members have also pointed out.
I got my FD Sbi card in 2014 and 1st unsecured card in 2019, so yeah it was a long 5 yr gap, it's also the reason why my cibil in stuck at an upper ceiling of 790 and cannot cross 800 i think

But i do agree that disadvantages od secured card outweigh that advantages at this point

I got my 1st card ICICI HPCL coral in 2015 as I had salary account with HDFC. And all my colleagues also got unsecured ICICI LTF card (platinum I guess).

Back