• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Need some advice on which card to use for booking hotels in Europe, and to use for ForEx

yashendra2797

TF Select
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I am traveling with my parents to Europe for 2 weeks this month end. I booked my departure using Magnus (1.2L on TravelEdge), and return using my father's new Axis Vistara Infinite (1.2L on Vistara since the flight was HEAVILY discounted). Now, I have to book hotels, sightseeing tickets, and decide on how to spend money for day to day stuff abroad.

I have Axis Magnus, Vistara Infinite, Flipkart, AmEx Plat Charge, and ICICI Amazon Pay. My father has Axis Vistara Infinite and some mid IndusInd Card.

I think spending 1L next month on ForEx transactions using my Magnus is a no brainer. However, I am more curious about what will be the best way to pay for the hotels and other tickets since I will be purchasing them this week. Also, when I hit 1L next month, should I keep using Magnus, or switch to AmEx?

I am not using any points for this trip, only cash.

Also, please forgive me if this is the incorrect forum, this is my first time posting.

D

Deleted member 6719

• Magnus beats any AmEx left right and centre. AmEx cards are low in yield and only have hype
  • Some other cards to consider based on your spends
    • RBL World safari - 0 markup and also gives points
    • IndusInd pioneer cards

You can continue to use Magnus even next month

yashendra2797

TF Select
Contributor
VIP Lounge
  • Magnus beats any AmEx left right and centre. AmEx cards are low in yield and only have hype
  • Some other cards to consider based on your spends
    • RBL World safari - 0 markup and also gives points
    • IndusInd pioneer cards
You can continue to use Magnus even next month
This post says AmEx Plat has a 7.5% reward rate while Axis Magnus post milestone has a 4.8% reward rate.

Does it make sense to use Magnus even after Milestone?

D

Deleted member 6719

That is base reward rate.

Spend 1 lac in a month excluding rent and fuel, and you get 25k points. When converted to miles, it goes 40%. Details are on the review video on youtube.

And if you go by that table, axis reserve is the card. Even Bhavye has recommended that only.

1 amex MR = 35paise in my experience with MRCC, when redeemed on amazon vouchers, not sure how they estimated 1re - maybe when buying overpriced reward portal tickets. But be aware that platinum charge card is a)not a credit card and b) has annual fees of 72k pa. And AmEx has a really major acceptance problem in India, so avoidable in my view. Mastercard and Visa work in all major countries, followed by RuPay/Diners/JCB (same network). One can earn RP only if they are able to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

yashendra2797

TF Select
Contributor
VIP Lounge
That is base reward rate.

Spend 1 lac in a month excluding rent and fuel, and you get 25k points. When converted to miles, it goes 40%. Details are on the review video on youtube.

And if you go by that table, axis reserve is the card. Even Bhavye has recommended that only.

1 amex MR = 35paise in my experience with MRCC, when redeemed on amazon vouchers, not sure how they estimated 1re - maybe when buying overpriced reward portal tickets. But be aware that platinum charge card is a)not a credit card and b) has annual fees of 72k pa. And AmEx has a really major acceptance problem in India, so avoidable in my view. Mastercard and Visa work in all major countries, followed by RuPay/Diners/JCB (same network). One can earn RP only if they are able to use it.
Sorry I think I should be clearer. I have Magnus, VI, and AmEx Plat. I don’t hold Reserve. I wanted to ask which card I should use AFTER I reach Magnus’ milestone.