• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

No Surname in Indian Passport

kumarvishwas

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Hi Team,

I am transferring most of my Axis ER points to UnitedMileage Program and had a query, my name on Indian passport is Given Name : ABC XYZ; Surname : Blank.

While creating the account I entered my name as First Name : ABC; Last Name : XYZ as Last Name couldn't be kept as empty.

After that I connected with United customer care and they updated my name as First Name : ABC XYZ; Last Name : LNU.

So I had a query that while booking flight tickets is it gonna be issue, does LNU show up in the ticket(United or Partner Airlines) which might create a confusion or shall I keep my name as it was initially First Name : ABC; Last Name : XYZ?

Need your suggestions.

mrmuggle98

TF Select
VIP Lounge
The standard protocol for blank surname is to repeat the first name for the last name too. Yes, it might (most certainly will) cause issues if the name is not according to the passport.

PS. Speaking from personal experience 🥲

kumarvishwas

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
The standard protocol for blank surname is to repeat the first name for the last name too. Yes, it might (most certainly will) cause issues if the name is not according to the passport.

PS. Speaking from personal experience 🥲
Does LNU work in Last Name, because this was suggested by United customer care.

Although recently I had travelled to Singapore with Vistara and in that I had kept the name as First Name : ABC and Last Name : XYZ but this did not cause an issue as in the ticket the name was displayed as XYZ, ABC and in the VISA it was ABC XYZ.

birususama

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Had experience this case recently but with a different airways. So every carrier will have their own rules. My case was with Qatar airways where they specifically asked me to enter Mr in first name and my first name in Last name. So basically in my case the name format was Mr Mr XYZ ABC.

mrmuggle98

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Does LNU work in Last Name, because this was suggested by United customer care.

Although recently I had travelled to Singapore with Vistara and in that I had kept the name as First Name : ABC and Last Name : XYZ but this did not cause an issue as in the ticket the name was displayed as XYZ, ABC and in the VISA it was ABC XYZ.
Not sure here, but across EU, carriers asked me to keep the same name in first and last name