• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Optimisation of my 4 year old card portfolio

Sleepyk

TF Buzz
Hi guys
My Cibil score is 779.
I have been using credit cards since November 2020, listing out my cards from oldest to newest

Active
1. Bob Card Prime, November 2020, 40k
2. SBI Simpliclick, December 2020, 110k
3. Amex MRCC, Jan 2021, 128k limit
4. ICICI Amazon Pay, August 2021, 460k
5. Axis Flipkart, May 2022, 210k
6. Amex Gold Card, Nov 2022, charge card
7. ICICI Coral Card, July 2023, 460k (shared with Amazon Pay card)
8. Amex Platinum Travel, August 2023, 413k
9. Kotak League Card, 286k, Oct 2023
10. SBI Cashback, 20k, Nov 2023
11.HDFC Tata Neu Infinity, Dec 2023, 230k
12. Axis Atlas, Dec 2023, 210k (on the way, limit shared with Axis Flipkart)

Closed
IndusInd Card, April 2021, 30k
SBI Prime, Nov 2021, 70k
Federal bank Onecard, Jan 2022, 70k
HDFC Tata Neu Plus, Jan 2023, 121k (upgraded to Infinity)

I have a credit usage of 10-15%, and have kept some cards like the LTF Bob card and the Kotak league card only to keep my credit usage percentage low.
I don't use the Simpliclick card anymore, and frankly I don't really have a very high opinion of SBI cards as a company, so I think it's time to close that card soon.

My usage is pretty high, and I have always got the feeling that my cards are low yield for my spending habits.
Just got the Atlas this month for this reason.
Please let me know your opinions on my card holdings and if I should do any rebalancing.

Thanks

Last edited:
That's a good looking portfolio!

Axis Atlas should be a great addition.

Depending on if you fly Vistara a lot, you can get the Vistara Infinite.

For redemption, Atlas will cover your hotel stays and Vistara will cover your flights.

Depending on how high your expenses are, you can also upgrade one of the Amex cards to Amex Platinum Charge.
Or go a step further on the Axis route and get the Axis Reserve card.

They will come with a hefty price tag but will never make you feel the yield is low on your expenses.
And the additional premium benefits that come along with them help too!

Which ones are paid and which ones are free amongst these?
Your collection is pretty good, you should note soon to get a premium HDFC card over the next few years.
For SimplyClick try negotiating it LTF. The only reason I keep an SBI card is the merchant offers during sales on Amazon& Flipkart ( SBI cashback isn't eligible for those)
I am not sure how you are using your 3 AMEX cards and if you are able to secure enough benefits to offset fees/negotiate low fees.

Which ones are paid and which ones are free amongst these?
Your collection is pretty good, you should note soon to get a premium HDFC card over the next few years.
For SimplyClick try negotiating it LTF. The only reason I keep an SBI card is the merchant offers during sales on Amazon& Flipkart ( SBI cashback isn't eligible for those)
I am not sure how you are using your 3 AMEX cards and if you are able to secure enough benefits to offset fees/negotiate low fees.
Thanks, using Amex for the Amex trifecta and customer service... Most of the purchases are on GyFTR Zomato and Amazon.
First I got the MRCC... Then I realised I spend enough to need another card, so got the Gold card... Should have probably gotten Plat Travel first, but that's a mistake I can't correct.

And as for paid... Simpliclick, Cashback, ICICI Coral, Axis Flipkart and Atlas, Amex MRCC, Gold and Plat travel are paid.
Will probably close both SBI cards soon enough.
Flipkart Axis might be paid, but I am thinking of getting that closed anyway and shifting all small change transactions to Tata Neu Infinity, as I haven't really had a long term relationship with HDFC.
ICICI Coral is paid, but it already has enough spends to qualify for a fee waiver. Same with MRCC and soon with Platinum Travel.
Atlas and Gold are and will remain paid.

Thanks
Here is my recommendation
Spends on AMEX should be limited to the benefit quota, so 1500*4/month + 20k/month for MRCC , 1000*6/month for Gold & 4lac / year for Plat Travel. Spends beyond these limits earn a very poor reward rate . Evaluate the need to keep Gold vis a vee the fee you pay i.e. how much fees you are paying for ~14k MR points you get
Don't see any reason why you should have enough spends on Coral to get a few waiver, the reward rate is below 0.5% with no other benefits, close it or get it converted to LTF and use it just for merchant offers.
The spends you shift from Coral should go to SBI cashback if they are online, that should allow for fee waiver. It's still a pretty good card with solid 5% cashback for a online use.
Otherwise you can close your SBI cards, I would probably keep SimplyClick for sale offers.
Close Flipkart Axis as it's paid. Get HDFC Millenia LTF , that will also give 5% on Flipkart and allow you to build your relationship with HDFC. You should eventually get the HDFC twins (DCB/Infinia) and use smartbuy. Till then Axis Atlas should be your daily driver.

Thanks
Here is my recommendation
Spends on AMEX should be limited to the benefit quota, so 1500*4/month + 20k/month for MRCC , 1000*6/month for Gold & 4lac / year for Plat Travel. Spends beyond these limits earn a very poor reward rate . Evaluate the need to keep Gold vis a vee the fee you pay i.e. how much fees you are paying for ~14k MR points you get
Don't see any reason why you should have enough spends on Coral to get a few waiver, the reward rate is below 0.5% with no other benefits, close it or get it converted to LTF and use it just for merchant offers.
The spends you shift from Coral should go to SBI cashback if they are online, that should allow for fee waiver. It's still a pretty good card with solid 5% cashback for a online use.
Otherwise you can close your SBI cards, I would probably keep SimplyClick for sale offers.
Close Flipkart Axis as it's paid. Get HDFC Millenia LTF , that will also give 5% on Flipkart and allow you to build your relationship with HDFC. You should eventually get the HDFC twins (DCB/Infinia) and use smartbuy. Till then Axis Atlas should be your daily driver.
The Coral spends were mostly a one off thing. Got the card because Sony was offering significant instant discounts on a TV no cost EMI transaction.

I guess it might be time to close Simpliclick, Flipkart Axis and probably Amex Gold.

I end up with a few forex transactions every few months, and till now the Amex cards were my only options for those. Now I do have Atlas and Tata Neu Infinity as viable alternatives.

Back