• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

DCB Ordering Iphone from USA using DCB

So, i am plaaning to buy Iphone 15 pro max with apple care. I will buy on apple USA website from here in India and will get it delivered to a friend’s address in USA and she will bring it here when she comes to india next month.

I am planning to use my HDFC DCB card for this. Has anyone tried this ? What are the downsides of this? I have global value program enabled on my DCB. So i am thinking i will be in net positive in terms of return rate after considering markup charges, conversion rate etc. This will also help me in getting my joining and annual fee waived off.

Only issue is i will hit 30% limit on my card. Is credit utilisation ratio calculated on every card or is it calculated on total credit limit?

SmartSave

TF Premier
You guys worry too much about utilisation. I've maxed out my HDFC card before to 100% during car purchase and it was reported too and then repaid full later. The CIBIL score had dropped a little but not much and I'm back to the top of my score again. I've done this many times when I had this as my only card. So relax, nothing to worry.

As for buying from USA, I can't speak for that part but I can tell you a similar experience of buying from Thailand. It was totally worth it, saved on rate difference, got VAT refund claimed, got rewards. Saved enough that I ended up picking Airpods Pro 2 at the time (this was in Jan-Feb of this year for iPhone 14 Pro Max), so effective price was still better than buying in India. We ended up picking x2 iPhones and x2 Airpods Pro 2. So I see no difference buying in USA.

BUT You should keep in mind, USA models are eSIM only unlike the one we get in India/Thailand or elsewhere. This could be problematic to some folks traveling where eSIM issues are there and require physical sim slot. So keep this in mind.

Also, HDFC (or any bank for that matter I suppose) is reporting to I-T department for spending over 10L and you'd hit that number easily when you pick up couple of phones and shop + use locally. So that's something you should remember too. Anyway, I'll be picking iPhone 15 Pro Max again in my next trip from Thailand, this time with DCB (Earlier was on Regalia).

@ashutoshdubey0703 You would not be able to place an order on apple.com using HDFC DCB. DCB is not supported on apple.com USA. Its only supported on apple.com/in.
Oh, is it? Have you tried this? Would it support any other indian cc? I just went to checkout page, it says it does support discover cards. I entered car number and didn’t see any errors. I didn’t complete the payment though. I went to apple.com faq, ir says it accepts foreign cards from india, uk and USA

You guys worry too much about utilisation. I've maxed out my HDFC card before to 100% during car purchase and it was reported too and then repaid full later. The CIBIL score had dropped a little but not much and I'm back to the top of my score again. I've done this many times when I had this as my only card. So relax, nothing to worry.

As for buying from USA, I can't speak for that part but I can tell you a similar experience of buying from Thailand. It was totally worth it, saved on rate difference, got VAT refund claimed, got rewards. Saved enough that I ended up picking Airpods Pro 2 at the time (this was in Jan-Feb of this year for iPhone 14 Pro Max), so effective price was still better than buying in India. We ended up picking x2 iPhones and x2 Airpods Pro 2. So I see no difference buying in USA.

BUT You should keep in mind, USA models are eSIM only unlike the one we get in India/Thailand or elsewhere. This could be problematic to some folks traveling where eSIM issues are there and require physical sim slot. So keep this in mind.

Also, HDFC (or any bank for that matter I suppose) is reporting to I-T department for spending over 10L and you'd hit that number easily when you pick up couple of phones and shop + use locally. So that's something you should remember too. Anyway, I'll be picking iPhone 15 Pro Max again in my next trip from Thailand, this time with DCB (Earlier was on Regalia).
Thanks for detailed info. I am already using esim only in my india iphone. Whenever i travel outside, i generally take a roaming pack on my sim and get a local sim if needed.

I tried with my infinia for 3 pro max but transaction didnt go through due to this problems…

My friend ordered from usa using my card and shipping address was my sister address in usa so all 3 details mismatch at apple so they didnt approve charge due to security reasons
what was the problem with your Infinia purchase?
I am planning to have billing address as my India address and shipping address as my frnd's US address and card is of course in my name, will that work?

Or u can pay inr in India and ask ur friends to buy it for u 😉 Transaction more than 50K inr is under scanner
I mean I am doing a legit purchase, so is there an issue? Also, if I make this spend on my card instead of offline, it will help me get the joining and annual fee waiver on my card, that 20k + taxes saved right there.

CardEnthusiast16

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Oh, is it? Have you tried this? Would it support any other indian cc? I just went to checkout page, it says it does support discover cards. I entered car number and didn’t see any errors. I didn’t complete the payment though. I went to apple.com faq, ir says it accepts foreign cards from india, uk and USA
yes. There are other threads on this as well. Seems like the DCB of 14 digit card number is not supported on apple.com
After entering the card number when u enter other details , it gives an error incorrect card number.
Visa and MasterCard network cards work flawless