• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Please suggest the right credit card mix for me

abhishek0882

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Dear Friends,

This is my first post on the Technofino Community and at the outset I would like to congratulate and thank everyone here for creating this amazing platform for sharing knowledge.

While I have been using credit cards for a few years now, it was not until recently that I realized the true potential of cashbacks, rewards and miles and how much I have been missing out on. So now trying to learn the game.

Below is the list of my cards and how I use/plan to use them. Request fellow members to suggest the following:
  • Would like to consolidate and reduce the number of cards. Please suggest which ones I should let go off (Would like to have as few cards as possible, but also attract max value)
  • Please check if the category of spends I use for the cards is optimal, else suggest a better match for spend category and cards
  • For optimizing point 2, please suggest if I need any other card for any particular spend category. While I know as per point 1 I want to reduce cards, but if there’s a card that will add substantial value, I am open to it
  • Should I get the HDFC Tata Neu Infinity card? Is it worth it if I am getting the Plus version LTF instead of Infinity? Reasons for considering it – (i) I do not have any RuPay credit cards (ii) I do not have any HDFC cards currently and I am assuming that most offers on electronics and online sales on HDFC bank maybe accessed with this card (iii) Not on the Tata ecosystem at all but do use 1Mg a lot for medicines (parents and in-laws) and BbDaily for a moderate amount each month. Is it worth it to add the card for this?
CardFeesSpend CategoriesRemarks
Axis Magnus10,0001. Mostly spend from this card only in those months where expected spend is more than 1 lakh
2. When I need to buy vouchers from giftedge or through grabdeals
3. Plan to make all spends from this card once spends on Vistara Infinite have crossed 7.5 lakhs for the year
Important for me because:
1. Domestic and international lounge access for self and family
2. Reward Rate
3. Regular offers on Grabdeals and Giftedge
Axis Vistara Infinite10,000 (FY fee should be reversed – promotion)1. Rent (thru CRED), plan to shift to Magnus from June
2. Insurance
3. Mostly spend all general spends from this card in months where spend is less than 1 lakh or if Magnus eligible spends cross 1 lakh
1. Vistara benefits and tickets
2. Rent and insurance were getting rewards
AMEX Platinum Reserve10,000 (Usually gets reversed or receive 10,000 Taj vouchers)Almost No spends now – earlier used this as the default card wherever AMEX was accepted, used to always get 500 FK voucher. But post AXIS cards, no spendsImportant for me because:
1. AMEX lounge in Delhi relatively less crowded and better service
2. With higher spending pre AXIS, would get Taj Vouchers for annual and periodic spend based milestones and retention benefit
AMEX Gold Charge4,500 (Always reversed)1. Wallet Loads
2. Utility Bills
3. Fuel
4. Complete 6 transactions of 1000 each per month for 1000 bonus points
1. Rewards on wallets, utility bills and fuel
2. Reward rate with bonus points
AMEX MRCCLTF1. Wallet Loads
2. Utility Bills
3. Complete 4 transactions of 1500 each per month for 1000 bonus points
4. Pre AXIS cards, used to split spends between MRCC and Plat Reserve and get 1000 bonus points on 20k spends, but no spends beyond 4 transactions of 1500 now
1. Rewards on wallets, utility bills
2. Reward rate with bonus points
3. LTF
IDFC First SelectLTFAlmost no spends now. Used to pay rent earlier, but now shifted that to AXIS Vistara and plan to shift to Magnus from JuneCurrently does not hold much value to me. Wondering whether to close or continue because it is LTF
Citibank Premiermiles3000Almost no spends now. Rarely when there is a better than AXIS or AMEX on dining, will avail, but rare, as dining also use mostly AXIS or AMEXCurrently not much value. May close when renewal comes up or if AXIS offers a better card
ICICI APayLTF199 monthly subscription of Amazon Audible. Else no spend at all.Currently not much value. Wondering whether to keep it only because it is LTF. I am not sure whether it is eligible for ICICI offers on sale or should I switch to any other ICICI LTF card
Kotak Zen1500No spends now. Earlier would spend 1.5 lakhs in the year to get renewal fee waiverPlan to close this card
SC ManhattanNACard Inactive but shows up on CIBILValidity expired a few years back. SC sent a new card, that got returned because address was not updated. Address change only possible from branch. Very few branches, even in Delhi. Went and submitted docs – staff lost the docs. Didn’t go back again. While CIBIL shows the card, no renewal fees being charged since the time new card was not delivered. Wondering what to do with this.

Thanking all in advance.

Hi @abhishek0882,

1. Now with centurion lounges gone, are you planning to close your Platinum Reserve?

2. I too got the card in the first week of Jul and preferred it over Plat Travel for centurion lounge access only. So either I’ll have to go for Plat Travel after few months or work out a way to get the annual fee waived off. But I have gone through many posts where users say that Amex is fussy for fee waivers for the last couple of years. Can you please share as to how do you manage to get the annual fee waived off?
+1

Hi @abhishek0882,

1. Now with centurion lounges gone, are you planning to close your Platinum Reserve?

2. I too got the card in the first week of Jul and preferred it over Plat Travel for centurion lounge access only. So either I’ll have to go for Plat Travel after few months or work out a way to get the annual fee waived off. But I have gone through many posts where users say that Amex is fussy for fee waivers for the last couple of years. Can you please share as to how do you manage to get the annual fee waived off?
Until now, I used to call cc at renewal and would just request them to waive the fee, they would either do that or would give Taj vouchers.
The moment I got the news of centurion lounge benefit removal, I called them asking to convert or downgrade the card to Plat Travel. They responded that they have a policy only to upgrade cards, and cannot downgrade cards. So the only option is to close the Reserve and apply for Plat Travel afresh. Let me see if I would go through that hassle, renewal is due in end Dec so there’s time. Definitely letting go of the Plat Reserve for sure.

i a
Until now, I used to call cc at renewal and would just request them to waive the fee, they would either do that or would give Taj vouchers.
The moment I got the news of centurion lounge benefit removal, I called them asking to convert or downgrade the card to Plat Travel. They responded that they have a policy only to upgrade cards, and cannot downgrade cards. So the only option is to close the Reserve and apply for Plat Travel afresh. Let me see if I would go through that hassle, renewal is due in end Dec so there’s time. Definitely letting go of the Plat Reserve for sure.
sked them to waive the fee due to change in lounge beenfit as my card is 2 months old,they said that they cannot do it.Will be closing it once my statement is generated and bill is paid off

Ya even I asked them to downgrade after just one month of getting the card and got the same response. Now their card issuance executive is already persuading me to apply for Plat Travel card.

Ya even I asked them to downgrade after just one month of getting the card and got the same response. Now their card issuance executive is already persuading me to apply for Plat Travel card.
My issue is I am already holding 1 Charge and 2 credit cards of AMEX (Gold, MRCC and Plat Reserve) which I guess is the AMEX limit. So, I din't think I can apply for the Plat Travel and then close the Plat Reserve. I have to first close the Plat Reserve and then apply for the other card. Would have been much simpler to just downgrade the Plat Reserve to Travel.

i a

sked them to waive the fee due to change in lounge beenfit as my card is 2 months old,they said that they cannot do it.Will be closing it once my statement is generated and bill is paid off

My issue is I am already holding 1 Charge and 2 credit cards of AMEX (Gold, MRCC and Plat Reserve) which I guess is the AMEX limit. So, I din't think I can apply for the Plat Travel and then close the Plat Reserve. I have to first close the Plat Reserve and then apply for the other card. Would have been much simpler to just downgrade the Plat Reserve to Travel.
Ya true. You would need to close one CC to get a new one. I presume their limit is two CCs and one Charge Card.

Back