• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Qatar flight booking/ Upgrade for self and family

wokrishnahai

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I wanted to book an itinerary from Delhi to Lagos and back for myself. And, Wanted to upgrade paid tickets for the same for my brother and his wife. Is it possible to do so? If yes, then how?

Should I be using some other alliance partner to get the same flight for cheaper?

Qatar is charging 60K points for return in the economy plus 20,000 Rs as tax.

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
I wanted to book an itinerary from Delhi to Lagos and back for myself. And, Wanted to upgrade paid tickets for the same for my brother and his wife. Is it possible to do so? If yes, then how?

Should I be using some other alliance partner to get the same flight for cheaper?

Yes
Air India flights are much cheaper
Look for them under singapore airlines website.
Also paid upgrades are not possible through points afaik

wokrishnahai

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I want to book Qatar only. Not Air India.

And, Qatar does have options for redemption and upgrades.

What I want to know now is whether it can be done for friends and family or not.

Two, Whether someone has done it before and was their experience smooth or they had to arrange a Billing address( Like in case of united Mileage Plus)

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 4.41.22 PM.png

Last edited:

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
I want to book Qatar only. Not Air India.

And, Qatar does have options for redemption and upgrades.

What I want to know now is whether it can be done for friends and family or not.

Two, Whether someone has done it before and was their experience smooth or they had to arrange a Billing address( Like in case of united Mileage Plus)
Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 4.41.22 PM.png
if you have booked tickets for your friends type in their ticket and try to upgrade it
then book yours as well
i dont think billing address would be a problem

wokrishnahai

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I haven't done the booking as of yet using Qatar and Avios. So want to know the first-hand experience of this before transferring points and doing the booking.

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
i have booked award tickets on emirates,virgin atlantic and british airways.
the process was smooth for all the 3 websites.
The ffp members account should be linked in the miles redemption portal and within 2 working days the miles get transferred and then book it by paying taxes

wokrishnahai

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I am assuming that you're using AMEX. I am using Magnus. So I can't transfer points to Virgin or emirates.

Tejas

TF Premier
Airmiles Expert
Credit Card Expert

Has to be done over phone call.

But upgrade eligibility depends on the Fare Class under which the original Paid ticket is booked and availability of an Award ticket on the sector being flown. Just having enough miles will not make the cut.

wokrishnahai

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Has to be done over phone call.

But upgrade eligibility depends on the Fare Class under which the original Paid ticket is booked and availability of an Award ticket on the sector being flown. Just having enough miles will not make the cut.
So, the class of ticket is H in this case( Brother, Sis in law, and niece).

So can I Upgrade it for them? If yes, Where should I be calling?

Tejas

TF Premier
Airmiles Expert
Credit Card Expert
So, the class of ticket is H in this case( Brother, Sis in law, and niece).

So can I Upgrade it for them? If yes, Where should I be calling?
Did a prima facie check and Class H seems to be eligible for an upgrade. Economy Promo Fare Class W & G are not eligible for an upgrade.

Upgrades can be done online itself by logging into Qatar Airways FFP or calling Qatar Airways Customer Support.

wokrishnahai

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Thank you, Tejas. I will take an update with Qatar customer care. I hope they do allow the friends and Family ticket upgrade. Accordingly, I will transfer the points into Qatar Account.