• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

RBI Action against Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd.,

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Supervisory Action against Kotak Mahindra Bank Limited under Section 35A of
the Banking Regulation Act, 1949

The Reserve Bank of India has today, in exercise of its powers under Section 35A
of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949, directed Kotak Mahindra Bank Limited
(hereinafter referred to as ‘the bank’) to cease and desist, with immediate effect,
from (i) onboarding of new customers through its online and mobile banking
channels and (ii) issuing fresh credit cards. The bank shall, however, continue to
provide services to its existing customers, including its credit card customers.

These actions are necessitated based on significant concerns arising out of
Reserve Bank’s IT Examination of the bank for the years 2022 and 2023 and the
continued failure on part of the bank to address these concerns in a comprehensive
and timely manner. Serious deficiencies and non-compliances were observed in the
areas of IT inventory management, patch and change management, user access
management, vendor risk management, data security and data leak prevention
strategy, business continuity and disaster recovery rigour and drill, etc. For two
consecutive years, the bank was assessed to be deficient in its IT Risk and
Information Security Governance, contrary to requirements under Regulatory
guidelines. During the subsequent assessments, the bank was found to be
significantly non-compliant with the Corrective Action Plans issued by the Reserve
Bank for the years 2022 and 2023, as the compliances submitted by the bank were
found to be either inadequate, incorrect or not sustained.

In the absence of a robust IT infrastructure and IT Risk Management framework,
the bank’s Core Banking System (CBS) and its online and digital banking channels
have suffered frequent and significant outages in the last two years, the recent one
being a service disruption on April 15, 2024, resulting in serious customer
inconveniences. The bank is found to be materially deficient in building necessary
operational resilience on account of its failure to build IT systems and controls
commensurate with its growth.

In the past two years, the Reserve Bank has been in continuous high-level
engagement with the bank on all these concerns with a view to strengthening its IT
resilience, but the outcomes have been far from satisfactory. It is also observed that,
of late, there has been rapid growth in the volume of the bank’s digital transactions,
including transactions pertaining to credit cards, which is building further load on the
IT systems.

The Reserve Bank, therefore, has decided to place certain business restrictions
on the bank as mentioned above, in the interest of customers and to prevent any
possible prolonged outage which may seriously impact not only the bank’s ability to
render efficient customer service but also the financial ecosystem of digital banking
and payment systems.

The restrictions now being imposed will be reviewed upon completion of a
comprehensive external audit to be commissioned by the bank with the prior approval
of RBI, and remediation of all deficiencies that may be pointed out in the external
audit as well as the observations contained in the RBI Inspections, to the satisfaction
of the Reserve Bank. Further, these restrictions are without prejudice to any other
regulatory, supervisory or enforcement action that may be initiated against the bank
by the Reserve Bank.

CC:- RBI

20240426_104947.jpg

Attachments

• PR172C67A06D91783486B9E897DE57DAA3491.pdf
    330.9 KB · Views: 12

mrbanker

TF Select
We got best economist as Pm .
We saw what was inflation during those days ..
And amount of NPA he left with major banks in crisis .
sometimes in state craft ,wisdom matters than Yale and Oxford economics degree..

Degree are good for job not statecraft.

Let's not talk about demonetization.( Hardship PPL faced or all notes replaced is different story)

Counterfeit notes are almost negligent, none check notes now under light .
The question is did they achieve the main objective given for demonitization?

newinnov

TF Premier
No and yes!
No for common men, informal economy got destroyed ==> Unemployment got sky rocketed.
Yes for Govt. as tax filing increased exponentially after that. Digital transaction got increased. Almost every indian got bank a/c.
Does not matter how rosy you paint the picture but demonetization was not so sweet for common man.

I think BJP Govt. achieved more than what they expected!

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Direct benefits very less
Indirectly so many

Now every strata of PPL use digital payment be it educated or not.

Business owner have ease in payment.
Ofc cash economy will always be there

BhaiyaJi

TF Ace
Woh male tha, koi female nahi dikhi us din mujhe branch mein 😂😂
images

mrbanker

TF Select
See where India is in digital payments n digital economy AND see where your neighbour is standing today with a begging bowl.

What more proof you want ?
Why do the real estate developers still demand a sizable percentage of the transaction to be settled in cash value to this day? Doesn't this generate black money in the economy?

Why do the real estate developers still demand a sizable percentage of the transaction to be settled in cash value to this day? Doesn't this generate black money in the economy?

You a Banker ?

If yes, read IBA suggested text books on Indian Economy for clearing JAIIB/CAIIB. You must be well aware of what these Exams are for.

If you are not a Banker, still read standard text books on Black Money, Parallel Economy and such topics.

The subject is so vast n complicated, it is not possible to answer your question in this thread.

danish

TF Ace
You a Banker ?

If yes, read IBA suggested text books on Indian Economy for clearing JAIIB/CAIIB. You must be well aware of what these Exams are for.

If you are not a Banker, still read standard text books on Black Money, Parallel Economy and such topics.

The subject is so vast n complicated, it is not possible to answer your question in this thread.
which is the best ug degree to opt for if some one has to become a rbi grade b officer

which is the best ug degree to opt for if some one has to become a rbi grade b officer
I think the eligibility is ANY graduate from any recognized University. Prelims, Mains n Interview (and Group Discussion) are the 3 filtering stages. All needed info at RBI's website. Focus will be on Indian Economy, Micro n Macro Enomonics, GK, English, Maths n ToR. Like SBI POs Exam.

danish

TF Ace
I think the eligibility is ANY graduate from any recognized University. Prelims, Mains n Interview (and Group Discussion) are the 3 filtering stages. All needed info at RBI's website. Focus will be on Indian Economy, Micro n Macro Enomonics, GK, English, Maths n ToR. Like SBI POs Exam.
my question was that after passing class 12th if some one wants to become a grade b rbi officer , what would be the best graduate degree for him like bsc in finance , bba in banking and finance etc .

my question was that after passing class 12th if some one wants to become a grade b rbi officer , what would be the best graduate degree for him like bsc in finance , bba in banking and finance etc .
DO NOT JOIN PRIVATE COLLEGES / UNIVERSITIES. OR, COMPOSITE COURSES - DEGREE+PG - THEY ARE NOT APPROVED FOR SUCH COMPETITIVE EXAMS.

Take up a regular B.Com course from a proper university and acquire additional knowledge - with or without certifications. Remember such certifications do not add any weightage to your eligibility.

mrbanker

TF Select
You a Banker ?

Theoretical bookish knowledge is good but I have access to some highly regarded accountants who see things practically in the context of cash dealing industries. Digitisation was a step in the right direction but it was never the primary stated intention of Nov 8, 2016 move.

I believe you were part of an organisation in the past which recently asked for three months time in the apex court for completing a task which could be completed in no time on a spreadsheet program. What are your thoughts on the whole matter?

Theoretical bookish knowledge is good but I have access to some highly regarded accountants who see things practically in the context of cash dealing industries. Digitisation was a step in the right direction but it was never the primary stated intention of Nov 8, 2016 move.

I believe you were part of an organisation in the past which recently asked for three months time in the apex court for completing a task which could be completed in no time on a spreadsheet program. What are your thoughts on the whole matter?
You must be well aware of few things when we use spreadsheets.

The quality of data n the subsequent search/manipulations depend on what was captured in the first place.

For ex, if you want to know (2 years down the lane) how many ladies were in a spreadsheet of about 50K rows, which doesn't have a column for capturing whether the record is a male or female, whoever is going to search - you will not get the data instantly.

The only way is to CAPTURE the relevant data from the papers. Or, do some interlinking with other databases or spreadsheets which may or maynot contain the data you need NOW.

THIS IS THE REASON I THINK. I left SBI about 12 years back. And, busy with my own company (industrial automation).

If you know better, being a current claimed-Banker, let us know. I too would like to know.

Asking irrelevant and unconnected issues in this thread's topic is not desirable.

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.