• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Recommendations on electronics purchase

Hi everyone, I’m planning to make a significant (INR 1.57L) electronics purchase soon.
However, card swipes (debit and credit cards including UPI on credit) would attract an additional 2-3% charge, amounting to approx. INR 4k.

The merchant isn’t a big player like Croma or Reliance Digital, so I can’t go for a gift card strategy.
The acceptable payment methods according to the salesman are either UPI (they have a Payzapp QR code) or a bank transfer.

Given these conditions, what would be the best rewarding option to make this purchase?

The only option I can think of is using the UPI wallet load approach and making the final payment through it.
For example, Millenia debit + Amazon full KYC wallet load seems like a viable option for me.

I’m unsure if there’s a better wallet load option or perhaps an even better card/UPI option.
I’ve searched for similar queries but couldn’t find an answer that aligns with the cards I have.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice on other options, including those involving credit/debit cards, that could provide a net reward after accounting for the additional INR 4k charge.

I do not have any of the premium cards (Infinia/AMEX/Atlas etc.), but do have cashback cards like Jupiter Edge, Kiwi Yes, AU LIT, OneCard, Millenia debit/credit.

Edit: Other available cards, but don't seem suitable for the given scenario: Diners Privilege, HSBC Cashback/Live+, SBI CB, Axis FK, Amzn Pay, IDFC Wealth debit/credit, SBI SimplySave, Fed Celesta, Indusind Tiger, Sapphiro/Rubyx

Last edited:
Did some more browsing, couple of options that I have are:
1. The Payzapp QR code at the shop. If it happens to be a BharatQR (HDFC website says that Payzapp QR codes are BharatQR codes, unsure if still true), then may be take risk and try the SBI CB card to get a net 2% reward.
2. Kiwi Yes Neon. However, the billing guy says that with UPI on CC, we will need to wait for a few days until it gets settled, for him to hand over the purchased item.

No one charges 2% on credit card payment. Why is the seller charging such amount?
I should've probed some more while I was at the shop. But the salesmen actually mentioned 3%, not 2%. Although it did seem like he was rounding it off to the higher number, it may actually be some lesser number. But my bad, didn't inquire more about it.

I should've probed some more while I was at the shop. But the salesmen actually mentioned 3%, not 2%. Although it did seem like he was rounding it off to the higher number, it may actually be some lesser number. But my bad, didn't inquire more about it.
This means he wants to save money and is not concentrating on selling the product based on your needs.

Today everyone uses CC to ease the burden either by converting the payment into EMI or by getting some bank discounts.

Did some more browsing, couple of options that I have are:
1. The Payzapp QR code at the shop. If it happens to be a BharatQR (HDFC website says that Payzapp QR codes are BharatQR codes, unsure if still true), then may be take risk and try the SBI CB card to get a net 2% reward.
2. Kiwi Yes Neon. However, the billing guy says that with UPI on CC, we will need to wait for a few days until it gets settled, for him to hand over the purchased item.
1. okay saving 2% using SBI CC makes sense tbh, if possible.
2. Not sure why the seller is making such an excuse. Even for Rupay CC, they will be charged 2%.

AFAIK you won’t be charged anything extra when you swipe your card. Rather the store. So he’s probably trying to impose his fee onto you.

I’ve had first hand experience with a shopkeeper who wouldn’t agree to let me swipe CC, reasoning I’d be charged extra for the transaction. I told him go ahead with it, if I get charged, I’ll get charged and that I’m okay with bearing the fee. Guess what, I didn’t get charged anything additional. Then the guy cribs that he’s going to get charged. Well, not my lookout. I paid for what I wanted.

Hey guys, yes, the MDR should be borne by the merchant, but this isn't an ideal world.
He is the top seller and is giving the best deal compared to FK/Amzn/other offline stores.
And that puts me in tough situation to negotiate on reducing or even ignoring the additional charge, as I can't just walk away to some other seller.
Also, there is no owner present over there to negotiate these things, I can try talking to the billing guy, but the chances of him making an excuse for a not so costly item (considering the avg ticket size of each purchase is approx. > 1L) is pretty rare.
You know how it is...

Back