• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Reopening Bank Of Baroda Savings Account & RBI Ombudsman

Amit_

TF Select
I closed my BoB Savings Account in 2018. I again wanted to open Savings Account in BoB. So I visited nearby BoB branch recently. A clerk sitting in the branch denied for opening account. He said your old customer id is not deleted from system, visit your old branch and get your old customer id deleted then come here for a/c opening. My old a/c was opened in different city and which is 120 km away from my current city.
Main purpose of a/c opening was getting rupay select debit card. I told to clerk working in BoB that, I would not go 120 km away to open a/c here. I requested him to do something for me. He said, they can't do anything, you have to follow our procedure. I said him, I will talk your manager. He said "apko jo krna h kr lo". Manager was not present in Bank then I saw mob. number of nodal officer of BoB bank in a flex pasted on wall. I called to Nodal Officer again & again 5-6 times. Nodal officer didn't attend the call.

Then I decided to use power of RBI Ombudsman. I registered a complaint in RBI ombudsman portal. Next day I got a call from regional manager of BoB. He talked very politely and said that to reopen a/c, bank need to coordinate with HQ in Vadodara, Gujrat. Old customer id is deleted by HQ officials. He said after some time BM of the bank, where I visited to open a/c will call me and give all the details. After talking with regional manager, within 10 minutes I got a call from BM of BoB branch. He told me, in 1-2 days he will get my old customer id deleted from HQ and requested to revisit the branch anytime for a/c opening.

Next day I went to the branch. BM asked me for tea and water. I was feeling like I am visiting a private bank, even private banks also don't do that. He only asked me to sign on papers like private banks do, remaining details he filled by himself and Xerox of aadhaar and PAN was attached with a/c opening form. He told me that my documents will be sent to HQ then my a/c will be opened. It may take 5-7 days, because I was re opening the a/c.
Within a week my a/c was opened in BoB and got welcome kit delivered to my home. BM also helped me to get Rupay Select debit card. I had to visit branch again to apply for Rupay Select Debit Card. He converted my normal savings a/c to 25k maintenance a/c then I filled a form for rupay select card and gave to BM. After applying, within a week I got my rupay select card delivered at my home.

Main conclusion is that, we need to be aware. We must know our rights and if wrong happens with us then we must take action in right direction. In fact, Bank staffs also have work pressure so that they exploit customers. I have learnt a lot from this community and becoming more financially aware. I am extremely thankful to Sumanta Bhai for creating this community and also thankful to community members for increasing my knowledge day by day. I would like to share my other experience too about Showroom servicing scam, if it's allowed here, so that community members may become more aware and may take right decision in same situations, I have faced. Thank You.

Why couldn't they open an account under the existing customer ID?!

Axis did that for me more than 15 years after I had closed my account at the then UTI Bank! Don't know why they have to save them for decades, so they survive even corporate name changes!

On the other hand, ICICI had just deleted my old customer ID from their system when I had closed my old account with them, and I was allotted a new one > 15 years later.

Why couldn't they open an account under the existing customer ID?!

Axis did that for me more than 15 years after I had closed my account at the then UTI Bank! Don't know why they have to save them for decades, so they survive even corporate name changes!

On the other hand, ICICI had just deleted my old customer ID from their system when I had closed my old account with them, and I was allotted a new one > 15 years later.
Sarkari bank with outdated processes from the stone age and employees with jobs for lifetime without any fear of getting sacked.

Last edited:
I closed my BoB Savings Account in 2018. I again wanted to open Savings Account in BoB. So I visited nearby BoB branch recently. A clerk sitting in the branch denied for opening account. He said your old customer id is not deleted from system, visit your old branch and get your old customer id deleted then come here for a/c opening. My old a/c was opened in different city and which is 120 km away from my current city.
Main purpose of a/c opening was getting rupay select debit card. I told to clerk working in BoB that, I would not go 120 km away to open a/c here. I requested him to do something for me. He said, they can't do anything, you have to follow our procedure. I said him, I will talk your manager. He said "apko jo krna h kr lo". Manager was not present in Bank then I saw mob. number of nodal officer of BoB bank in a flex pasted on wall. I called to Nodal Officer again & again 5-6 times. Nodal officer didn't attend the call.

Then I decided to use power of RBI Ombudsman. I registered a complaint in RBI ombudsman portal. Next day I got a call from regional manager of BoB. He talked very politely and said that to reopen a/c, bank need to coordinate with HQ in Vadodara, Gujrat. Old customer id is deleted by HQ officials. He said after some time BM of the bank, where I visited to open a/c will call me and give all the details. After talking with regional manager, within 10 minutes I got a call from BM of BoB branch. He told me, in 1-2 days he will get my old customer id deleted from HQ and requested to revisit the branch anytime for a/c opening.

Next day I went to the branch. BM asked me for tea and water. I was feeling like I am visiting a private bank, even private banks also don't do that. He only asked me to sign on papers like private banks do, remaining details he filled by himself and Xerox of aadhaar and PAN was attached with a/c opening form. He told me that my documents will be sent to HQ then my a/c will be opened. It may take 5-7 days, because I was re opening the a/c.
Within a week my a/c was opened in BoB and got welcome kit delivered to my home. BM also helped me to get Rupay Select debit card. I had to visit branch again to apply for Rupay Select Debit Card. He converted my normal savings a/c to 25k maintenance a/c then I filled a form for rupay select card and gave to BM. After applying, within a week I got my rupay select card delivered at my home.

Main conclusion is that, we need to be aware. We must know our rights and if wrong happens with us then we must take action in right direction. In fact, Bank staffs also have work pressure so that they exploit customers. I have learnt a lot from this community and becoming more financially aware. I am extremely thankful to Sumanta Bhai for creating this community and also thankful to community members for increasing my knowledge day by day. I would like to share my other experience too about Showroom servicing scam, if it's allowed here, so that community members may become more aware and may take right decision in same situations, I have faced. Thank You.
How did you approach rbi immediately there is waiting period of 30 days to reach ombudsman

Bob apps and internet banking is worst experience, recently opened account there too much hassle to register for app and internet banking...
Only holding an account with BoB because I have trust issues putting my money in FD with SFBs and no other commercial bank offers a better rate of interest.

And also for complimentary chai-paani and Marie biscuits at branch. 😛

Good customer service was never an agenda of sarkari banks.

Believe it or not, I had always experienced exemplary service from one SBI SPB branch on St. Marks Rd., Bangalore! I had SB account and FDs there.

The funny thing is, I had my PPF account in another SBI branch in the same complex, which maintained the usual excellent service levels people have come to expect from SBI. :).

Believe it or not, I had always experienced exemplary service from one SBI SPB branch on St. Marks Rd., Bangalore! I had SB account and FDs there.

The funny thing is, I had my PPF account in another SBI branch in the same complex, which maintained the usual excellent service levels people have come to expect from SBI. :).
Even my SBI Branch Peoples are very helpful never got disappointed with their service 🙂

I
Means BOB RUPAY SELECT DEBIT CARD is issued only in BOB Professional Savings Account?

@amit90 Can you confirm you Account Type by logging in to BOB World app ?
It's not a professional savings a/c. BM told me that for Rupay Select debit card, he needs to convert into 25 k maintenance a/c. He talked on mob. with his senior in front of me before converting a/c into 25 k maintenance a/c. Basic savings a/c was not showing option to apply for rupay select debit card in his system, he confirmed.

Back