• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

(Resolved) SBI Bank Account STOP (Freeze) due to KYC

harshgupta940

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Yesterday I received this email from SBI
Dear Customer, STOP has been placed on your Acc XXXXX for the reason KYC Updation Overdue.-SBI Please do not reply to this auto generated email. For any query, please contact our toll free number 18001234 & 18002100.
I want to know how can I solve this issue as this is a very old account and the home branch is 1400Km far away as I migrated from that place.

So can I do my KYC from the branch nearby or in worst case can I close the account from a nearby branch.

Another thing, while filing ITR this account was Nominated for my Refund but when I received this email I instantly removed this account from my bank accounts in the profile section and nominated another account will I receive my refund in that account?

Solution
Okay here is the solution as this exact situation happened to me-

1. Call the Branch Manager and tell them about his STOP msg and your current inability to visit the branch in person.
Most probably, he/she will themselves ask you to mail these 3 self attested doc copies on branch mail ID (Aadhar, Pan and an application for removing this STOP).

2. If he/she doesn't tell you to send via mail then request them, they will agree.

3. Within a few hours of sending the mail, your STOP will be removed.

PS.- Send mail from registered mail ID.
Attach your passport size photo in the handwritten application as shown in the image below.
Branch mail ID mentioned in passbook and also available online if passbook is lost.

Trust Me

TF Ace

I want to know how can I solve this issue as this is a very old account and the home branch is 1400Km far away as I migrated from that place.

So can I do my KYC from the branch nearby or in worst case can I close the account from a nearby branch.

It takes less than a minute on netbanking to transfer your account to your nearest branch!

If you don't want to transfer the account for some reason, you could still submit your KYC documents to the nearest branch.

nits123

TF Premier

Another thing, while filing ITR this account was Nominated for my Refund but when I received this email I instantly removed this account from my bank accounts in the profile section and nominated another account will I receive my refund in that account?
IT department will only process refund in the default account mentioned in the ITR..

Unfortunately SBI will tell you to visit home branch for re-kyc and on lighter note, Home Branch will say "Come after Lunch"..You cannot close the account remotely.

Life is peaceful after i closed my SBI account

harshgupta940

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
IT department will only process refund in the default account mentioned in the ITR..
But I have removed my SBI account from my ITR Portal and nominated another bank account for it.
Unfortunately SBI will tell you to visit home branch for re-kyc and on lighter note, Home Branch will say "Come after Lunch"..You cannot close the account remotely.
Is there any way that I can contact BM and then re activate the account.
Life is peaceful after i closed my SBI account
Thats true, I was late in making that decision 😔. And worst decision was to link that account to ITR Portal.

Trust Me

TF Ace
@nits123 and @Trust Me can you both confirm in which city your home branch and the branch where you accessed your account were and was it rural or urban? (Only if you are comfortable)

Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities. In any case, in these days of CBS branches rural or urban shouldn't make any difference.

Although luck with the particular branch staff quality can make a difference in experience to some extent.

There is additional help available these days from SBI too. There are numbers to which SMS can be sent (google) expressing unhappiness with service. Within minutes you'd get callback from SBI offering help. They'd act as an intermediary to help you find a resolution to the problem.

harshgupta940

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities. In any case, in these days of CBS branches rural or urban shouldn't make any difference.

Although luck with the particular branch staff quality can make a difference in experience to some extent.

There is additional help available these days from SBI too. There are numbers to which SMS can be sent (google) expressing unhappiness with service. Within minutes you'd get callback from SBI offering help. They'd act as an intermediary to help you find a resolution to the problem.
Great thanks! It would be generous of you if you can dm the number or share some search term which can be searched to directly find those numbers in case I need it (which I am expecting that I will surely need).

Also I don't have good experience from my home branch as 4-5 years ago there was a FD of small amount that was on auto renewal. Once I checked after it auto renewed they had booked the fd at 3.5% which was almost the savings bank rate and I was so angry and asked them to break it and they told that I would have to visit the home branch for that again which wasn't an option. I mailed to rbi and that helped me to break that fd and since then I have been not using this account.

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge

Misleading Title
Mention that u didn't do kyc