• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Reward points on government transactions - latest as on August 2024!

Hi All,

I know this question has been asked a lot, but asking again as the information keeps changing and what might have been true 3 months ago, is no longer true.
I have a property tax payment of 45 lakhs coming up and I wanted to see which is the best card to pay it with. There are no payment gateway charges charged.
I tried the HDFC Biz black but as its on the Diners club platform, its not accepted.
I've looked into Amex as well but they are also not accepted.
I can break up the payments into various smaller payments.

From my research, it seems Amazon ICICI at 1% reward rate is the only card that will be worthwhile. Anyone else with any experience? I can wait and apply for a new card as well if required.
I looked at the new Axis Primus card as it would work for this payment especially but the branch manager in true axis style, has no idea about it or how to help me get it.
Anyone with any thoughts, happy to hear!
Best

Do check for SC ultimate's limited specific vouchers which can be availed for its reward points to extract that 2% return and only apply if vouchers are helpful and required. Else AZ ICICI is the best.

Hi All,

I know this question has been asked a lot, but asking again as the information keeps changing and what might have been true 3 months ago, is no longer true.
I have a property tax payment of 45 lakhs coming up and I wanted to see which is the best card to pay it with. There are no payment gateway charges charged.
I tried the HDFC Biz black but as its on the Diners club platform, its not accepted.

From my research, it seems Amazon ICICI at 1% reward rate is the only card that will be worthwhile. Anyone else with any experience? I can wait and apply for a new card as well if required.
I looked at the new Axis Primus card as it would work for this payment especially but the branch manager in true axis style, has no idea about it or how to help me get it.
Best
HSBC Premier credit card gives 3% rewards

Hi All,

Best
Is 45l one go or split?
Primus new onboarding is not through so branch can’t help you

Do check for SC ultimate's limited specific vouchers which can be availed for its reward points to extract that 2% return and only apply if vouchers are helpful and required. Else AZ ICICI is the best.
AZ ICICI is not giving rewards on tax payment. I paid tax last month, didn’t get any reward points. Attaching screenshot for your reference.

IMG_8105.jpeg

IDFC wealth DC still offers 2.5% reward points om spends above 50K across MCC codes (last verified personally while paying taxes and CC bill thru SBI unipay) in July.

While the amount was >1 lac , not sure if 45 lacs will get flagged in any way. Might try especially splitting across multiple transactions.

Hi All,

Best
It will be good to know the MCC code used by the tax site through specific payment gateways.

My experience, there are 4-5 MCCs being used by goverment services...however, some of the cards like SBI Vistara excluded only 2 MCC codes as government payment (as per their mail).... so, you may get the rewards if the MCC is not excluded by the bank....but will need to get the MCC codes for that which you'll get only after making a payment (even small amount) or ask someone who paid in the last 10 days (not more than that as it might have changed)

IDFC wealth DC still offers 2.5% reward points om spends above 50K across MCC codes (last verified personally while paying taxes and CC bill thru SBI unipay) in July.

While the amount was >1 lac , not sure if 45 lacs will get flagged in any way. Might try especially splitting across multiple transactions.
I used the same but theres a monthly limit of 50000 pts equal to 12.5K Rs.. I believe such limit might exist on other cards as well. Do check and try to split into different months.

Back