• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

SBI VISA/MC to RuPay - conversion

m.o.n.k

TF Buzz
Today I sent a mail to SBI CC customer care with a request to convert my existing MasterCard varient Credit Card into a RuPay varient. Has anyone ever tried this before? If yes, what was the outcome?

Yes I tried, i have sbi cashback card. But Sbi was rejected because few cards have specific variants (master,visa,rupay) only available and there is no Rupay variant available for cashback card 😪
Mine is not CB card, it's SimplySave, hopefully they have all the varients. Although I don't have high hopes with SBI.

Mine is not CB card, it's SimplySave, hopefully they have all the varients. Although I don't have high hopes with SBI.
me too tried the same.. obviously they have simplysave in RUPAY but they wont change it, it seems .. i got a call in reply to my mail and they said they cant change it like tat. any other way to proceed? wat was the reply to you.

Whats the benefit of SBI Rupay as its still not valid for Rupay UPI
Speculations are SBI Credit Card ll come to UPI by june(along with ICICI )_.. apart from that no other added benefits i guess. maybe other experts might shed more light.. i tried the conversion request twice.. once the CC person either spoke as though he do not understand wat i am asking or acted like tat.. other time one CC person told that plan of entering UPI is on hold as there are some third party vendors who need to prepare the platform ready and asked me to request once SBI comes into UPI and they might process depedning on their internal policies

Speculations are SBI Credit Card ll come to UPI by june(along with ICICI )_.. apart from that no other added benefits i guess. maybe other experts might shed more light.. i tried the conversion request twice.. once the CC person either spoke as though he do not understand wat i am asking or acted like tat.. other time one CC person told that plan of entering UPI is on hold as there are some third party vendors who need to prepare the platform ready and asked me to request once SBI comes into UPI and they might process depedning on their internal policies
Its better to convert to rupay only after SBI is on UPI. Else it may happen that Rupay conversion done, but UPI not done

So the RBI has issued a directive about card network interchange where it is clarified that all cards have to be issued on all 3 networks (Visa/MC/Rupay) and customer can choose the network he wants.

The problem is most banks do not care about RBI directives and CC is not even aware of such developments. They outright deny it and say you have to apply for a new one and we cannot convert it. I just called SBI CC number and was told this too.
But I had the same experience when I wanted to convery my ICICI Coral card from Visa to RuPay and I tweeted about that and got a call from Social Media team and they did it so I did get my Coral RuPay variant from ICICI.

I have tried the smae with SBI so lets see what happens. I would definitely want the RuPay variant and use it more often otherwise my SBI card is hardly used except for sales.

So the RBI has issued a directive about card network interchange where it is clarified that all cards have to be issued on all 3 networks (Visa/MC/Rupay) and customer can choose the network he wants.

The problem is most banks do not care about RBI directives and CC is not even aware of such developments. They outright deny it and say you have to apply for a new one and we cannot convert it. I just called SBI CC number and was told this too.
But I had the same experience when I wanted to convery my ICICI Coral card from Visa to RuPay and I tweeted about that and got a call from Social Media team and they did it so I did get my Coral RuPay variant from ICICI.

I have tried the smae with SBI so lets see what happens. I would definitely want the RuPay variant and use it more often otherwise my SBI card is hardly used except for sales.
It's not like banks don't care for rbi directive but instead it takes time. Folks at customer care can't do anything until told so by upper management. And I think this upper management has not taken any decision yet on what to do regarding this directive which could be the reason. I would say wait for few more months and whenever any bank refuses to convert to rupay simply tag that reply to rupay so that they could take action from their end.

It's not like banks don't care for rbi directive but instead it takes time. Folks at customer care can't do anything until told so by upper management. And I think this upper management has not taken any decision yet on what to do regarding this directive which could be the reason. I would say wait for few more months and whenever any bank refuses to convert to rupay simply tag that reply to rupay so that they could take action from their end.
I did exactly that. Let's see if its successful.

me too tried the same.. obviously they have simplysave in RUPAY but they wont change it, it seems .. i got a call in reply to my mail and they said they cant change it like tat. any other way to proceed? wat was the reply to you.
Even if you want to convert to rupay, SBI wont do it. :p
Got converted SBI SimplySave Visa to Rupay variant!!!

Back