• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Travel Insurance Claim Experience (Delayed Luggage) - Acko

aayusharyan

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Heya folks,
I am sharing my experience for travel insurance claim for one of my previous trips to france. My luggage was delayed and I had to buy a few things and raised a claim for that. I was able to get it passed. No hassle with Acko.
Before that I used to use HDFC Ergo becuase of the brand name, but had troubles in getting claim from them. I had a small accident in Thailand a few years ago and they asked me to send original medical bills and everything and then just stopped responding stating that they didn't receive the courier and I am spam emailing. wtf!

TLDR:
Acko is pretty good for travel Insurance. (At least better than HDFC Ergo)

Anyway, back to the Story.

Dec 18​

I take a flight to Paris. Then from Paris I had to travel to Geneva through Netherlands (hehe, Mile Run is also important, I am trying for Air France Platinum for Life). Anyway, back again.
My flight from Paris to Amsterdam got delayed because of which the transit time was reduced, I was able to catch the connecting flight, but unfortunately my checked in baggage didn't. (I had 1 large suitcase). The Airline in discussion (KLM).
When I reached Geneva, I got to know my luggage isn't there and won't be there until the next day. I had to travel from there to another city, Lyon the same night, so I left. Good thing there because KLM ofers free luggage delivery to nearby places. But ofcourse that means a bit delay by another 2 days, so I agreed.
And KLM did do that, by that time I was in Aix (another city in France). I got the luggage to my hotel, pretty good.

NOTE: Before you leave the Airport, it is crucial to take a document called as PIR (Property Irregularity Report). This document tells that something has gone wrong with your property, this is not a proof that the airline is responsible, just that okay, something happened. I know things so I knew to get this, many people don't so do keep in mind.

Now, at the airport itself, I send an email to the Acko team, it is important this to be done in 24 hours of the incident to start the process. I got a callback, I usually have International Roaming enabled because I travel frequently). The person asked me to obtain the PIR which I already did and then he said the email team will get back and to communicate on email.

ss.png

Dec 19​

Email team gets back and asks me to share Policy number for reference.
ss.png

Dec 25​

I send them the documents. (Reason for the delay, well, I am lazy, and honestly, I didn't expect this insurance claim to pass, so I was taking it very, very lightly, you will see more proof of this later).
ss 18.png

Same day I get confirmation from them.
ss.png

Same day, after a few hours. I get requirement for documents from them to prove this claim.
ss 19.png

Now, you will see how freaking lazy I am. Plus it was like 150 USD anyway I didn't expect it to come, so I was taking it very, very lightly.
Jan 01. I get first reminder.
ss 20.png

Then on Jan 08, I got second reminder. Jan 15 was third reminder and finally:

Jan 25​

Claim closure because I didn't send them documents. (In my defence, I was travelling and I don't want to take out time for this stuff).
ss 21.png

I was like okay sure, fk it.

Mar 30​

I was free and had some time in hand, so thought why don't I send them documents and see what happens.
ss 22.png

Same day I got acknowledgement.
ss 23.png

Then on Apr 11 I sent a follow up, (bcz I was again getting bored, so thought of poking them, lol)

Apr 11​

ss 24.png

Same day I got response to wait.
ss 25.png

Then again a few days later. I thought let's poke them more, so I shoot another email, this time I change the subject line. My idea was that maybe their team gets flooded with emails and if the title says `CLOSURE`, then they will not think that it needs to be processed. So, I changed that, hehe, maybe it was why it worked, idk, but oh well. 😎

May 22​

I send the mail with new subject line. ss 26.png

May 24​

I get a requirement to submit Aadhar card for KYC.
ss 27.png

I get busy again.

Jun 03​

I send the Aadhar Card scans.
ss 28.png

Same day I get acknowledgement.
ss 29.png

Same day, I get my claim passed. 🎉
ss 30.png

Happy Ending.

Also, anyway I wasn't expecting that money, so I just put that in groww and bought some shares of ONGC (Not a financial advice).

So, there was my experience and how well Acko did in this situation. It really is commendable and I would recommend them for travel insurance. I don't care if there is any referral for me or not here (lol, I didn't care about the claim, why will I care about these petty things). Just sharing my experience to maybe help others to trust insurance providers a bit. Personally, I used to not trust them and this experience changed my perception.

Ha, in that way, i would say avoid OLA and CARE insurance, they are cheaters !!! This is what happened for me. During one of the domestic travel, OLA booking had a option of flight delay insurance for Rs.29. The t&C very clearly mention, delay of 2 hrs 30 mins more is eligible for claim. So opted for it and my bad luck, that day flight was delayed more than four hours. Very next day, i sent a mail to ola insurance team about this claim and no one responded for few days. Then i made a call, the person other end said, they will call me back after checking everything. Never received the call and again called back after few days, similar response. Hmm, same experience again and after multiple follow up, they asked me get delay certificate from Air india express.

Air india express took two weeks or so to provide a delay certificate that too needed multiple followups in twitter 🙁 Then i sent the documents to OLA insurance. Again they have not responded and i had to call back... 🙁

And all these for just 3K INR claim amount which i least bothered about it. I just wanted to see where it will end and how they SCAM people by selling these kind of add-ons. Only in india, they can get away with these kind of attitudes.

Anyways, after multiple follow up, they simply sent me mail to send these documents to CARE insurance as they are insurance provider. WTF, why they had such lacklustre service just to say that i need to contact someone else..

Here comes the big turn from CARE, they simply rejected saying delay should be more than 12 hours. Again pointed out the insurance document where it clearly mentioned 2h 30 mins and after couple days again rejected saying, delay due to operational reasons are not eligible and they sent me different T&C then what OLA given me during purchase.

So basically OLA sells insurance with one set of T&C and CARE insurance rejects using another T&C which was never given before or after purchase. I guess even though its just 29rs, its just another SCAM is going on. Then i escalated nodal team and they also rejected. OLA no where ready to take this further even though they sold this.

Only thing pending is to reach out ombudsman, but already I'm tired.. all this for just 3K.. spent two months on this and no more, accept the lose and move on 🙂

Ha, in that way, i would say avoid OLA and CARE insurance, they are cheaters !!! This is what happened for me. During one of the domestic travel, OLA booking had a option of flight delay insurance for Rs.29. The t&C very clearly mention, delay of 2 hrs 30 mins more is eligible for claim. So opted for it and my bad luck, that day flight was delayed more than four hours. Very next day, i sent a mail to ola insurance team about this claim and no one responded for few days. Then i made a call, the person other end said, they will call me back after checking everything. Never received the call and again called back after few days, similar response. Hmm, same experience again and after multiple follow up, they asked me get delay certificate from Air india express.

Air india express took two weeks or so to provide a delay certificate that too needed multiple followups in twitter 🙁 Then i sent the documents to OLA insurance. Again they have not responded and i had to call back... 🙁

And all these for just 3K INR claim amount which i least bothered about it. I just wanted to see where it will end and how they SCAM people by selling these kind of add-ons. Only in india, they can get away with these kind of attitudes.

Anyways, after multiple follow up, they simply sent me mail to send these documents to CARE insurance as they are insurance provider. WTF, why they had such lacklustre service just to say that i need to contact someone else..

Here comes the big turn from CARE, they simply rejected saying delay should be more than 12 hours. Again pointed out the insurance document where it clearly mentioned 2h 30 mins and after couple days again rejected saying, delay due to operational reasons are not eligible and they sent me different T&C then what OLA given me during purchase.

So basically OLA sells insurance with one set of T&C and CARE insurance rejects using another T&C which was never given before or after purchase. I guess even though its just 29rs, its just another SCAM is going on. Then i escalated nodal team and they also rejected. OLA no where ready to take this further even though they sold this.

Only thing pending is to reach out ombudsman, but already I'm tired.. all this for just 3K.. spent two months on this and no more, accept the lose and move on 🙂
i dont think it'll be a long process. try filing the complaint here: https://cioins.co.in/Complaint/Online

Ola is done tbh, even the cab service has turned really bad. I only use Uber now. Customer service is much better by Uber.

Reminds me of a case I had with Jet Airways. My one-way base fare waived ticket code never worked. I followed up a lot, all the way to the nodal officer but no respite 🙁

When the flight is delayed, won't the Airline compensate? There are DGCA guidelines about that I think, not sure about on how much delay the airline is required to start compensating though.

Is there a way to escalate this to IRDAI?

Thanks for sharing, it seems the worst part of this process is the hundreds of documents they ask us to submit before filling a claim.
Ohh yeah, it is a very very tedious process. They ask a crapton of documents where customer will just feel giving up is easier.

Reminds me of a case I had with Jet Airways. My one-way base fare waived ticket code never worked. I followed up a lot, all the way to the nodal officer but no respite 🙁
Ohhh, seems a storytime is pending, do share a thread for your experience in the past.

Back