• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Travel to Bali in June 2025.

Samarth343

TF Buzz
I am not a member of any Frequent Flyer programs as my travel are limited to 1~2 international trips per year. I am now planning to visit Bali in June, 2025 with my spouse and a one year old kid. I would be having more than 80,000 HDFC BizBlack Reward Points by next month. I saw that KrisFlyer is one of the transfer partners for HDFC BizBlack at 100 RP for 100 FF miles. I am getting tickets at 40,000 points for return (plus taxes?) per person as per the miles calculator, totalling 80k miles for 2 adults + infant. Now, if I book using smartbuy by paying with points + CC; I am getting Singapore Airlines at around INR 78k, of which I pay 50% using points and I can also earn 16.5% reward points on smartbuy on the remaining (approximately 6,500 points on 39k spend).

What would be ideal in this scenario? Is there any other way I can optimize?

Last edited:
I am assuming 78K INR is total return fare for 3 people, where as 40K miles is per person return fare? (please be clear when you post your query)

If this is the case, then go ahead with Smartbuy only. Point value redemption on miles is usually poor for economy class on Singapore airlines

I am assuming 78K INR is total return fare for 3 people, where as 40K miles is per person return fare? (please be clear when you post your query)

If this is the case, then go ahead with Smartbuy only. Point value redemption on miles is usually poor for economy class on Singapore airlines
Sorry, edited the post to make it clearer. 80k miles vs INR 78k for 2 adults + infant return journey.

I am not a member of any Frequent Flyer programs as my travel are limited to 1~2 international trips per year. I am now planning to visit Bali in June, 2025 with my spouse and a one year old kid. I would be having more than 80,000 HDFC BizBlack Reward Points by next month. I saw that KrisFlyer is one of the transfer partners for HDFC BizBlack at 100 RP for 100 FF miles. I am getting tickets at 40,000 points for return (plus taxes?) per person as per the miles calculator, totalling 80k miles for 2 adults + infant. Now, if I book using smartbuy by paying with points + CC; I am getting Singapore Airlines at around INR 78k, of which I pay 50% using points and I can also earn 16.5% reward points on smartbuy on the remaining (approximately 6,500 points on 39k spend).

What would be ideal in this scenario? Is there any other way I can optimize?
Simple question is do you want to put money from your pocket (while maximising rewards) or use the existing accumulated points??

If you want to maximise then go with Smartbuy option. In case you want to put the least amount of money from your pocket then go with Krisflyer option. You are getting close to 0.7-0.9rs/point value which many would consider great.

use Smartbuy as it gives u better return.. Airmiles are 90% good only for Premium Travel .. For economy its ok ok at some routes!!

I still have some time before I need to book the tickets. Is there any chance that the miles requirement may drop due to some ongoing offers or is it always the same ? I would like to maximise the use of my points.

You can look for flying blue to reedem malaysian airlines air miles. They have better points structure at least till malaysia

Sorry, edited the post to make it clearer. 80k miles vs INR 78k for 2 adults + infant return journey.
Don’t forget to factor in the taxes that you will have to pay for krisflyer over and above the 80k miles, the 78k smartbuy option must include taxes as well

I still have some time before I need to book the tickets. Is there any chance that the miles requirement may drop due to some ongoing offers or is it always the same ? I would like to maximise the use of my points.
Just yesterday I got an email from Singapore airlines where they have reduced points requirements by 25% on some routes for selected dates. Check if that’s useful for you.

I enquired for KrisFlyer miles redemption. Unfortunately, for infants they charge the same amount of miles as adults whereas if I book using revenue rates, then I don't need to pay for the kid. So I would be booking using smartbuy itself.

For 2 adults only, the cost would have been 60,000 miles + approximately 9,200 taxes which was a really good deal for Singapore Airlines.

I enquired for KrisFlyer miles redemption. Unfortunately, for infants they charge the same amount of miles as adults whereas if I book using revenue rates, then I don't need to pay for the kid. So I would be booking using smartbuy itself.

For 2 adults only, the cost would have been 60,000 miles + approximately 9,200 taxes which was a really good deal for Singapore Airlines.
Are you sure?

While redeeming the miles, you have to book tickets for 2 adults and then call them to add infant to the booking. There is nominal infant booking charge (not equal to full adult fare, it is much less) and pay via card

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 4.16.18 PM.webp

Are you sure?

While redeeming the miles, you have to book tickets for 2 adults and then call them to add infant to the booking. There is nominal infant booking charge (not equal to full adult fare, it is much less) and pay via card

View attachment 68360
This applies if I pay through other means. But if i want to redeem krisflyer miles then I would have to pay miles for 3 adults equalling 90k miles + taxes.

This applies if I pay through other means. But if i want to redeem krisflyer miles then I would have to pay miles for 3 adults equalling 90k miles + taxes.
Above screenshot is for mile redemption only. It is from Singapore airlines website.

Infant does not require full miles. Please check again with different customer care executive.

It will be 60K miles + Taxes + extra amount for infant

Are you sure?

View attachment 68360
Ah now I understand what you want to say. I should first book tickets for 2 adults with KrisFlyer miles. Then later on call and ask them to add an infant.

I will again call and ask them if this is possible.

Ah now I understand what you want to say. I should first book tickets for 2 adults with KrisFlyer miles. Then later on call and ask them to add an infant.

I will again call and ask them if this is possible.
Yes, that is the correct way. I did something similar for my infant son for a trip last month. However, i think it'll be 80k miles from zone 6(India) to zone 2(Indonesia) as per their award chart for 2 adults return fare. However, one good thing with booking return award tickets in Singapore airlines is that they allow stopover in Singapore. While returning, we stayed in Singapore for 5 days this way. So effectively, you can tour 2 countries with the same ticket.

Yes, that is the correct way. I did something similar for my infant son for a trip last month. However, i think it'll be 80k miles from zone 6(India) to zone 2(Indonesia) as per their award chart for 2 adults return fare. However, one good thing with booking return award tickets in Singapore airlines is that they allow stopover in Singapore. While returning, we stayed in Singapore for 5 days this way. So effectively, you can tour 2 countries with the same ticket.
There is a 25% discount going on for bookings till 22nd september I think. They wont allow stopover in those fares I believe.

Back