• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Understanding credit mix

cowcoconut

TF Premier
Most credit reports I get have a section called "Credit Mix". I understand that if I have repaid both loans and credit card bills on time, my CIBIL score will be very high. I know relatives with barely any credit card activity having 800+ cibil because of home loans.
But for someone who doesn't have any loans, does paying multiple credit cards regularly give a CIBIL boost or is it the same?
i.e. if I spend 50K per month on 3 cards as opposed to 50K per month on one card, will that affect my CIBIL in anyways?

Asking purely for knowledge, I will obviously spend everything on SBI cashback 😆

Reactions: SSV
Solution
Most credit reports I get have a section called "Credit Mix". I understand that if I have repaid both loans and credit card bills on time, my CIBIL score will be very high. I know relatives with barely any credit card activity having 800+ cibil because of home loans.
Credit mix refers to the different types of credit accounts you have, such as mortgages, loans, credit cards, and retail accounts. It's one factor generally considered when calculating your credit score, but its weight may vary depending on the credit scoring model used.
Lenders and creditors generally want to know how you have managed different types of accounts over time.

But for someone who doesn't have any loans, does paying multiple credit cards regularly...
Credit mix refers to the different types of credit accounts you have, such as mortgages, loans, credit cards, and retail accounts. It's one factor generally considered when calculating your credit score, but its weight may vary depending on the credit scoring model used.
Lenders and creditors generally want to know how you have managed different types of accounts over time.

But for someone who doesn't have any loans, does paying multiple credit cards regularly give a CIBIL boost or is it the same?
Always keep a Secured loan even if it is a 5K FD card, if you don't have a home loan, car/auto loan, or any other type of secured loan.

i.e. if I spend 50K per month on 3 cards as opposed to 50K per month on one card, will that affect my CIBIL in anyways?
Depends on the total credit limit and individual card limit also.
For Example,
Card: Apay 1.5L SBI CB 1L Airtel Axis 2L
Limit: 50K 50K 50K
Utilization
Card Level: 30% 50% 25%
Overall Utilisation: 33.3% (Recommended under 30%)
Also, if you regularly use a particular card to a high % every month it will affect your score in the long run and when you get a new card from that bank they will not provide you with a good credit limit or can be rejected ( Risky Borrower)
@SSV kindly share your thoughts

Asking purely for knowledge, I will obviously spend everything on SBI cashback 😆
Try to keep around 30-40% of the card limit. I also do the same sometimes it reaches 60% but I try to keep around 15-30%.

Solution

Please go thru this post thoroughly and ask relevant questions ,if any , there..
I never had any HL still my score is close to 800, crossed 800 a few times as well...

Last edited:
Try to keep around 30-40% of the card limit. I also do the same sometimes it reaches 60% but I try to keep around 15-30%.
No Way Trump GIF by MOODMAN

BUT MY 5% FLAT CASHBACK

Increase your limit then else use a combination of cards like Apay, Swiggy and SBI CB
Jokes aside I usually have spends of 30k per month (all online), so my 97k limit on sbi cashback is perfect.

Only issue is when I have to book big flights, spends go till 60k. Then I can use my millennia on blinkit, amazon and swiggy.
That's good advice thanks.

Back