• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Upgrade/downgrade recommendation from Amex Platinum Travel

samarthkumar

TF Buzz
I have an Amex Platinum Travel credit card which I got last year in November. I would reach the INR 1.9 lakh spend based milestone in the next 1-2 months, but reaching the 4 lakh milestone is impossible for me as Amex is not accepted widely at online/POS merchants. I had a really hard time reaching this 1.9 lakh milestone.

I have been getting upgrade emails for Platinum Reserve, and while trying out the Multiply app, I was suggested to go for MRCC/Gold Charge card. I am really confused as to what I should do with my existing Platinum Travel Card.

It is being used as a secondary card, as my primary card is Axis Magnus, which takes care of lounge access and acceptability at all merchants which deny Amex. I will be reaching my card anniversary year in the next few months and wanted to get the group's valuable suggestions regarding my next steps- whether I should upgrade to Platinum reserve (if it justifies its first year fee of Rs. 5000), redeem the points and downgrade to MRCC, redeem the points and downgrade to Gold Charge Card, retain Platinum Travel. I personally feel the Rs. 5000+GST fee which would be levied on my Platinum Travel would not be justified due to the low acceptability rate of Amex, hence, this dilemma.

I have an Amex Platinum Travel credit card which I got last year in November. I would reach the INR 1.9 lakh spend based milestone in the next 1-2 months, but reaching the 4 lakh milestone is impossible for me as Amex is not accepted widely at online/POS merchants. I had a really hard time reaching this 1.9 lakh milestone.

I have been getting upgrade emails for Platinum Reserve, and while trying out the Multiply app, I was suggested to go for MRCC/Gold Charge card. I am really confused as to what I should do with my existing Platinum Travel Card.

It is being used as a secondary card, as my primary card is Axis Magnus, which takes care of lounge access and acceptability at all merchants which deny Amex. I will be reaching my card anniversary year in the next few months and wanted to get the group's valuable suggestions regarding my next steps- whether I should upgrade to Platinum reserve (if it justifies its first year fee of Rs. 5000), redeem the points and downgrade to MRCC, redeem the points and downgrade to Gold Charge Card, retain Platinum Travel. I personally feel the Rs. 5000+GST fee which would be levied on my Platinum Travel would not be justified due to the low acceptability rate of Amex, hence, this dilemma.
Simply add money to paytm wallet. It gives points and milestone. Tested, ✅
Trick:
Paytm charge 2.5% approx for wallet load.
Also gives, 1.5% cashback (at least 1-2 times in a month)
Use that opportunity to add to paytm wallet. CC bill pay, 1% cashback. (Hdfc, indisind)

Voila! 0% effective way to use amex plat travel.
Use paytm wallet for bill payments/ local merchant payment/fuel.

Notes:
Max cashback in paytm 300₹ means 20k wallet load, twice per month=40k. Total 4.8L per year. Enough on amex plat travel.
U know its a 4L card only.😉

Never transfer paytm wallet to bank, or it starts charging 4.5% on wallet loads from next time.

You can reach your milestones 4lakhs where ever amex not accepted you load it to paytm wallet and pay. Also u get MR points for wallet loads. Advisable to.load wallets as emergency to pay . Sometimes they run small shop offers but they will provide shop names which accept.apart from scb ultimate Amex is the only which gives you MR points for wallet loading. 95% of cards now devalued. Having Amex card in your wallet is good

Last edited:
You can reach your milestones 4lakhs where ever amex not accepted you load it to paytm wallet and pay. Also u get MR points for wallet loads. Advisable to.load wallets as emergency to pay . Sometimes they run small shop offers but they will provide shop names which accept.apart from scb ultimate Amex is the only which gives you MR points for wallet loading. 95% of cards now devalued. Having Amex card in your wallet is good
all wallet loads is chargeable now.

all wallet loads is chargeable now.
I know it is chargeable. But if u want to reach milestone that is one way where amex is not accepted. Today I tried using 40k offline in jewellery but the icici edc kept saying communication error called amex support they could not see any fault they said it could be merchant network issue or edc issue. When I asked he said yesterday one customer worked but y not me then. Finally we gave up after 6 times same issue and I paid through another card std cashback. If this had gone I would have completed 4lakhs milestone. Alas have too wait further 1 month to complete it.

Reactions: SSV
Back