• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Weird Indian obsession with UPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I can never understand why Indians are so obsessed with UPI. It's ok for small payments like Rs20 at a small vendor who doesn't accept cards. At larger shops, where you can simply tap your credit or debit card in a second, I see educated, well off looking people fumble with UPI apps, entering the amount, then their pin and often the scan doesn't work or the payment doesn't go through because of cellular network inside the store and so on. So much time wasted along with the hassle. Yesterday, I was behind a lady at Haldirams and she tried to scan 10 times and the cashier had to reset the scan screen multiple times. UPI is great when the user is poor or uneducated and doesn't have a credit card or when the establishment doesn't accept them. Why are educated people with credit cards so enamoured of it? Isn't it better to just tap your credit card and get 1 to 3% cashback or points and skip the hassle?

sddefault.jpg

Lol poor and undeucated people who use UPI commenting on thread 😜
Sir, please don't misunderstand what I said. I know you are probably joking. I didn't say everyone using UPI is poor and uneducated. I said that if people who don't have credit cards which is mainly the lower income group, use UPI then it makes sense. My question was why people who are middle and upper middle class and thus likely have credit and debit cards, use UPI instead at large establishments? It wasn't meant as an insult to those using it. I use it myself to pay some small vendor or to pay for parking if they don't have change and to send small payments to people. However if I buy something at Starbucks, Haldirams, McDonalds, Croma etc, I prefer paying by tapping my card. I get some cashback and why should I worry about the 2% charge they have to pay when they are charging such high prices?

I can never understand why Indians are so obsessed with UPI. It's ok for small payments like Rs20 at a small vendor who doesn't accept cards. At larger shops, where you can simply tap your credit or debit card in a second, I see educated, well off looking people fumble with UPI apps, entering the amount, then their pin and often the scan doesn't work or the payment doesn't go through because of cellular network inside the store and so on. So much time wasted along with the hassle. Yesterday, I was behind a lady at Haldirams and she tried to scan 10 times and the cashier had to reset the scan screen multiple times. UPI is great when the user is poor or uneducated and doesn't have a credit card or when the establishment doesn't accept them. Why are educated people with credit cards so enamoured of it? Isn't it better to just tap your credit card and get 1 to 3% cashback or points and skip the hassle?
Did you tap your x..... card ?

okay, I will start … slowly but steadily…

1) for anything.. we have two different point of views..
Micro view and macro view…

will come back to it a bit later

2) the astounding success of the current Indian economy booming mainly attributed to two things
I) Aadhaar Ii) UPI
World nations are stunned looking at India now how we are conducting our business…

Okay this is just starter .. will be back soon

Last edited:
It's okay man, sometimes people don't have cash or many of us don't go ATM for months as UPI is there. For one instance, it's not right to judge people, scanning and paying is not rocket science(as not everyone has CC) and I never saw anyone who is flaunting this technique as in small villages people do use UPI, so chill.
I already said it is understandable for small vendors, small shops and rural areas. I was talking about urban people paying at larger shops and restaurants. Not about people not having cards.

okay, I will start … slowly but steadily…

1) for anything.. we have two different point of views..
Micro view and macro view…

will come back to it a bit later

2) the astounding success of the current Indian economy booming mainly attribute to row things
I) Aadhaar Ii) UPI
World nations are stunned looking at India now how we are conducting our business…

Okay this is just starter .. will be back soo
I don't think UPI has led to any specific increase in GDP. Someone buying a car, TV, washing machine etc bought it earlier as well and would have purchased it even if there was no UPI. People in villages making small payments anyhow worked in a cash based economy and managed fine. In any case, I am not against UPI. It's great for sending small payments to people, for paying at small shops and for those who don't have cards. My question was why do middle and upper class people who have cards prefer to use it instead of tapping their cards at large shops and restaurants. This obsession could even lead to more merchants stopping to accept credit cards.
Increase in velocity of circulation would definitely lead to an increase in liquidity or money supply and thus improve the economy but I don't think the impact is very significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back