• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Weird Indian obsession with UPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I can never understand why Indians are so obsessed with UPI. It's ok for small payments like Rs20 at a small vendor who doesn't accept cards. At larger shops, where you can simply tap your credit or debit card in a second, I see educated, well off looking people fumble with UPI apps, entering the amount, then their pin and often the scan doesn't work or the payment doesn't go through because of cellular network inside the store and so on. So much time wasted along with the hassle. Yesterday, I was behind a lady at Haldirams and she tried to scan 10 times and the cashier had to reset the scan screen multiple times. UPI is great when the user is poor or uneducated and doesn't have a credit card or when the establishment doesn't accept them. Why are educated people with credit cards so enamoured of it? Isn't it better to just tap your credit card and get 1 to 3% cashback or points and skip the hassle?

You obviously didn't read my question carefully. It's perfectly fine and very useful to use UPI at small merchants. I was talking about a specific case: people who have credit cards, are comfortable using them, are shopping at an upscale place like Starbucks or Croma where cards are easily accepted and decide to use UPI there instead of their card. Only this kind of scenario.
🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ I read your post but it seems you obviously didn't read my reply and points I made. Even people with credit cards don't want to think about specific cases to use them when a single payment method/solution works everywhere for them. Is that so hard to understand? They would probably be using their credit cards only at home for ecom transactions now by entering the card number and OTP, while wherever they go, UPI "just works" everywhere, in far more places than cards. Universally. NPCI might as well could have named it Universal Payments Interface. What issues you saw - people fumbling to pay with UPI because they forgot PIN or dynamic QR code expired are not common or there wouldn't be unimaginably huge number of successful transactions daily. Those issues can occur just as well with any POS machine as well. I've been to many malls where the POS machine was "out of order" currently. The numbers speak for themselves, the sheer scale of UPI transactions daily.

Last edited:
🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ I read your post but it seems you obviously didn't read my reply and points I made. Even people with credit cards don't want to think about specific cases to use them when a single payment method/solution works everywhere for them. Is that so hard to understand? They would probably be using their credit cards only at home for ecom transactions now by entering the card number and OTP, while wherever they go, UPI "just works" everywhere, in far more places than cards. Universally. NPCI might as well could have named it Universal Payments Interface. What issues you saw - people fumbling to pay with UPI because they forgot PIN or dynamic QR code expired are not common or there wouldn't be unimaginably huge number of successful transactions daily. Those issues can occur just as well with any POS machine as well. I've been to many malls where the POS machine was "out of order" currently. The numbers speak for themselves, the sheer scale of UPI transactions daily.
It depends on preference of the person. For me, tap and pay is my first choice as long as it is available. If not available then cash or UPI is acceptable. Let's say I go to a big mall in the early afternoon. I have lunch. Tap and pay. I go buy some groceries or snacks at a supermarket in the mall. Tap and pay. I go buy something at Croma or Reliance Digital. Tap and pay. I go have tea or coffee at Starbucks, Blu Tokai etc. Tap and pay. I have dinner at a restaurant or food court. Tap and pay. I buy some more groceries to take home. Tap. I buy something I need or like at some store. Tap and pay. So in such urban and upscale areas, a simple, small card can be in my pocket and I can easily tap without fumbling with phone and UPI. If I am in a village or small town then obviously UPI would be more useful.

Tap & pay has its own security risk. The first thing I do after getting a new card is to disable tap & pay. And I know that most people in my age group do the same.
As people grow older, they become technologically challenged and also more paranoid. They also have difficulty learning new things. Also, older people know that they have limited time on this earth. So rather than trying to learn 5 different ways of doing the same thing (payment) they would rather prefer to experience something new with that time.
There can be 5 different ways of doing a work. Everyone opts for the one they are themselves comfortable with. But that does not make the other 4 ways incorrect or invalid. Variety and freedom are the essence of a democratic society.
No one has the right to look down on another individual.

It depends on preference of the person. For me, tap and pay is my first choice as long as it is available. If not available then cash or UPI is acceptable. Let's say I go to a big mall in the early afternoon. I have lunch. Tap and pay. I go buy some groceries or snacks at a supermarket in the mall. Tap and pay. I go buy something at Croma or Reliance Digital. Tap and pay. I go have tea or coffee at Starbucks, Blu Tokai etc. Tap and pay. I have dinner at a restaurant or food court. Tap and pay. I buy some more groceries to take home. Tap. I buy something I need or like at some store. Tap and pay. So in such urban and upscale areas, a simple, small card can be in my pocket and I can easily tap without fumbling with phone and UPI. If I am in a village or small town then obviously UPI would be more useful.
Exactly now you got it. 🙂 It depends on the preference of the person and the numbers show people's choice. You know why now. Personally I prefer scan to pay but not necessarily by UPI from a bank account. Most of my shopping is done in shops or malls with Bharat QR codes where I pay by Visa or Mastercard or RuPay cards (since BharatQR works with all 3). If there's just a UPI QR, then RuPay CC. Ever since RuPay CC on UPI arrived, I don't remember when I paid directly from bank account (only for few merchants which have turned off CC payments via UPI) and don't have POS machines either. But that's not most people's choice who prefer to pay via UPI scan & pay from bank account above all else because it always works/acceptance is way more universal. The only time I remember I paid via tap to pay was at Dmart Ready collection point because they didn't have a Bharat QR or UPI QR code to scan.

Tap & pay has its own security risk. The first thing I do after getting a new card is to disable tap & pay. And I know that most people in my age group do the same.
As people grow older, they become technologically challenged and also more paranoid. They also have difficulty learning new things. Also, older people know that they have limited time on this earth. So rather than trying to learn 5 different ways of doing the same thing (payment) they would rather prefer to experience something new with that time.
There can be 5 different ways of doing a work. Everyone opts for the one they are themselves comfortable with. But that does not make the other 4 ways incorrect or invalid. Variety and freedom are the essence of a democratic society.
No one has the right to look down on another individual.
Tap amd pay is the most useful feature. Disabling it makes no sense. For an older person, isn't it much easier to tap a card than download some unknown UPI app, link accounts, open that app, scan, enter code and so on vs just 1 tap?

.Paying with card:
1. Tap it and done.

Paying via UPI;
Download and configure some unknown UPI app and link your accounts.

1. Take out phone from bag. Card is small and can stay in the pocket.
2. Unlock phone
3. Look for and find UPI app
4. Unlock UPI app.
5. Find scan option.
6. Try and scan and see if it works
7. Ask the amount to be paid and enter it
8. Press pay and try to figure out which account to select. Sometimes accounts get delinked or app needs revaldiation.
9. Try and remember UPI passcode and enter it.
10. Wait for payment and show it to cashier

Interesting thread. Couldn't read the entire thing but here are my 2 cents -
1. CC's are only with a fraction of population, UPI is more accessible. Age seems to be a factor as well.
2. Tap & pay fails quite a lot... Atleast on all my stupid ass premium metal cards, so I end up inserting and wasting time anyway
3. There was a wonderful thread here (I'll try to tag it later) which explained how using visa / mastercard costs the country $s vs rupay

What is it about UPI that you don't like? U feel it's slow? It doesn't give rewards?
Also Bhai Haldirams kabse ameeriyat ki nishani ban gayi?

.Paying with card:
1. Tap it and done.

Paying via UPI;
Download and configure some unknown UPI app and link your accounts.

1. Take out phone from bag. Card is small and can stay in the pocket.
2. Unlock phone
3. Look for and find UPI app
4. Unlock UPI app.
5. Find scan option.
6. Try and scan and see if it works
7. Ask the amount to be paid and enter it
8. Press pay and try to figure out which account to select. Sometimes accounts get delinked or app needs revaldiation.
9. Try and remember UPI passcode and enter it.
10. Wait for payment and show it to cashier
Bhay koi kitna bhi samjhale, tum samjhoge nahi. 🤡

Cards ke case me bhi wohi steps main ginau to? Like card select karna, banking app login karna, contactless transaction on karna, fir 5k+ ka txn ho to pin bhi yaad rakhna. Aur card ko handle karte waqt cards details bhi hide karna & many more things.

Sabki apni pasand hai, isliye bak**** chhodo, apna apna dhandha dekho.

Iske aage mujhe ya kisiko bhi debate ni karna, asking mod again to lock the thread. @vaibhav111 @ashwink @lucifer

Peace 🕊️🙏.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back