• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What are some good 0 Balance accounts for students ?

SmartyAadi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi there! I am a 18yr old here and want to know what are some good banks for a 0 Balance accounts. As of now, I have opened Kotak 811 for which KYC is gonna be done this evening. I had applied for a HDFC account on 4th of december but yet no intimation from HDFC (Find this to be really pathetic, I applied for 811 day before and they gave account and all and just want to complete KYC today, really fast). Both applications were done online. I also have a minor account in ICICI which I will major but my dad is asking to make one separate account too, so is that possible ?
also, my parents have preferred banking in HDFC, Wealth managment in ICICI etc. so will it be good to link my accounts to theirs in the family banking program ?
Thank you all in advance! :))

What are your views on IDFC Future First? Would opening this account help with any CC offers?

Also if in future we want to upgrade to Select/Wealth account, would closing this and then doing Initial Funding required for the same would be a better option than upgrading from existing account?

Reactions: AxT
I'm really confused which account to open for my younger brother, who will start his college next month.

I need an account with:
1. Either zero or minimal Average Monthly Balance (AMB) requirements.
2. Zero or low debit card charges.
3. Zero charges for everything else (SMS, etc.)

His primary use case will be for UPI and debit card transactions.

He already has an account with SBI though which fulfils the above criteria, but my father keeps his money as investments in his account, so he doesn't want to change the mobile number and email address in that account. Hence, he insists on opening another account for him for regular transactions.

We live in a Metro city, hence most banks have an atrocious AMB requirements we can't maintain.

While Kotak 811 has not been accepting applications, thanks to RBI's bamboo — he is ineligible for IDFC Future First as well, as his university isn't listed there.

Is there any private or a PSU bank which you guys can recommend which fulfils the above criteria?

Thanks in advance.
Hdfc digi youth
Idfc future first ( eligible uni )
Icici 360 family banking

Maintain 2.5 k with rular branch or 5k with urban and it's best account ( no problem what so ever ) 1st year free dc

Also don't be behind zero balance main account those COVID days are over

What are your views on IDFC Future First? Would opening this account help with any CC offers?

Also if in future we want to upgrade to Select/Wealth account, would closing this and then doing Initial Funding required for the same would be a better option than upgrading from existing account?
The FF is account great because of its free visa signature debit card which gives you ₹62.5 per month just for paying any bill of value as low as ₹1. This is apart from the 2 domestic airport lounge accesses per quarter it provides.

The FF account will not help you or hold you to get a CC. It depends on your transactions.

Recently, I read somewhere that IP route for getting select/wealth acc is not working anymore.

Upgrading from FF to Select/Wealth is better as technically you have to maintain MAB as per the base account.

Recently, I read somewhere that IP route for getting select/wealth acc is not working anymore.

Upgrading from FF to Select/Wealth is better as technically you have to maintain MAB as per the base account.
Is this verified? A couple people on the dedicated thread said it is working.

If IP route is still possible, what is the better option among the two? ( IP vs Upgrading)

Is this verified? A couple people on the dedicated thread said it is working.

If IP route is still possible, what is the better option among the two? ( IP vs Upgrading)
As far as I remember, I read it on TF itself. Not sure about the genuinity of that statement.

I think if you can get FF + IP for Select/Wealth, that would be the best.

@Vasuki what's your experience with FF so far? Any issues with 25k UPI limit?
Idfc was under lot of scrutiny for fraud account opening & frauds happening so their system was on hyperloop for freeze

My account never got freezed .

For future first - I have used it.for dc to cc payment.

Few UPI transaction here and there
Since imps is free why even bother with higher amount transfer
So it has been good

I have ff with select
Last week OPENED 25k with 10 lakh IP for wealth
Also customer care is just 30 second away
U call and dail 2 I get connected directly

Idfc was under lot of scrutiny for fraud account opening & frauds happening so their system was on hyperloop for freeze

My account never got freezed .

For future first - I have used it.for dc to cc payment.

Few UPI transaction here and there
Since imps is free why even bother with higher amount transfer
So it has been good

I have ff with select
Last week OPENED 25k with 10 lakh IP for wealth
Also customer care is just 30 second away
U call and dail 2 I get connected directly
Any benefits for DC to CC payment?

Are FF and select two different accounts or is it upgraded?

10 Lakh IP for wealth sounds ridiculous.

Idfc dc gives points bro are you unaware ! ?

Future first is account select is family banking program

10 ip is required from this financial year for wealth
Yes please enlighten me, I don't know much🤣

Okay so it's like HDFC with account variant and program right? You get the program benefits on your FF account?

There are many threads
Some by technfino
Pardon me but from what I see, paying CC bills from SBI Unipay with IDFC DC gives RPs. Is that correct?

1- Can someone with no relationship with SBI use Unipay?
2- Does it have an option to manually input the payment amount? (for example custom amount of say ₹50)
3- Is Future First DC eligible for such rewards? (since the thread by TF mentions higher variants)

TIA

Is there any link/thread/post that explains the DC to CC payment benefit?
Pardon me but from what I see, paying CC bills from SBI Unipay with IDFC DC gives RPs. Is that correct?

1- Can someone with no relationship with SBI use Unipay?
2- Is Future First DC eligible for such rewards? (since the thread by TF mentions higher variants)

TIA
Yes, SBI Unipay is a separate platform for bill payments and other services.
Yes, it comes under Normal Card in IDFC First Rewards Portal 2 RPs per rs150 for Online Spends.
Note: Always Sign in with your phone number

Yes, SBI Unipay is a separate platform for bill payments and other services.
Yes, it comes under Normal Card in IDFC First Rewards Portal 2 RPs per rs150 for Online Spends.
Note: Always Sign in with your phone number
Thanks for the info, added another question

Back