• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What are the options to pay indirectly via Amex when Amex is not accepted?

nikhilk21

TF Buzz
Hello everyone,

I wanted to know what do you guys generally do when Amex is not accepted for a particular payment? I have been using MRCC & Plat Travel since last 3 months. Although my monthly expenses are ~ 60-70k, I am able to only do 20-25k through direct Amex/GVs. To avoid the stress of hitting 20k every month, and the 4L annual milestone I started loading MobiKwik @3% charges and using that

Is this wise? Would I be getting net +ve returns on my MR earned? Is there any other way you guys pay via Amex indirectly?

Last edited:
American express charges 3% MDR from every merchant, hence most merchants don't want to accept them
even most swipe machines in India don't accept them.

Mobikwik is simply passing on the 3% charges to you.
It is not wise to lose 3% every time.
You need to buy 1500 x 4 Amazon pay from Amex Gyftr portal every month. Or 5000 x 4

American express charges 3% MDR from every merchant, hence most merchants don't want to accept them

You need to buy 1500 x 4 Amazon pay from Amex Gyftr portal every month. Or 5000 x 4
Thanks for the response. I do use the GV wherever I can. But still there are a lot of payments that cannot be done using Apay Wallet, specifically the UPI payments to small vendors. So, my Amazon GVs are just getting piled up in my APay wallet.

Kindly provide link for AMEX Gftr

I don't think you can load using credit card and it is not for UPI payments
We can load gosat using cc, new account need to wait 15 days and 5 card load transaction

Post that there maybe multiple options:
1. Use gosat prepaud card off-line/online
2. Use it via snapay for utilities payment/ cc payment (neft)
3. Use on superpe for upi payment

Go through this once

Post in thread 'AMEX PLATINUM TRAVEL CARD BEST WAYS TO SPEND'
https://www.technofino.in/community...vel-card-best-ways-to-spend.10632/post-408480
Thanks for sharing. I did see this post earlier, but it seems to be more about where to spend.
Actually I know where all I can spend using Amex, haha - branded malls, MNC restaurants, loading GVs but I don't have so many expenses in these areas naturally. I'm trying to know how I can use for the spends I actually do.

About 20k monthly is UPI payments to small vendors like press wala, milk vendor, maid, cabs who demand cash etc. Also, I have large less frequent expenses like jewellery. And the shops where I want to buy, don't accept Amex. I'm only left with MobiKwik loading in this case (3% charge). So trying to understand if there is a cheaper way than doing this.

Thanks for sharing. I did see this post earlier, but it seems to be more about where to spend.
Actually I know where all I can spend using Amex, haha - branded malls, MNC restaurants, loading GVs but I don't have so many expenses in these areas naturally. I'm trying to know how I can use for the spends I actually do.

About 20k monthly is UPI payments to small vendors like press wala, milk vendor, maid, cabs who demand cash etc. Also, I have large less frequent expenses like jewellery. And the shops where I want to buy, don't accept Amex. I'm only left with MobiKwik loading in this case (3% charge). So trying to understand if there is a cheaper way than doing this.
For UPI with MobiKwik loading with century coupon code is the best bet as of now which reduces the fee from 3% to 2.61%. I would suggest to trim down at least one of the Amex cards considering your spend types are not matching with it. Maintaining the cards would require you to spend min 46,000/- on an avg monthly basis online for most of the part as offline grocery and fuel are the only routine categories to spend through Amex.

Won't amex consider Mobikwik as manufactured spends and cancel the cards?

PS: Although using mobikwik makes it possible to spend using amex where amex is not usually welcome.

Did anyone gave any issues? It can it be used safely?

PS: Although using mobikwik makes it possible to spend using amex where amex is not usually welcome.

I have been using since last 2 months, loading ~15k every month and haven't faced any issue so far. I never do wallet to bank. Maybe doing that would cause issues

For UPI with MobiKwik loading with century coupon code is the best bet as of now which reduces the fee from 3% to 2.61%. I would suggest to trim down at least one of the Amex cards considering your spend types are not matching with it. Maintaining the cards would require you to spend min 46,000/- on an avg monthly basis online for most of the part as offline grocery and fuel are the only routine categories to spend through Amex.
You're right. I see 3 options
1) Splurge where Amex is accepted, load GVs to meet targets even if there is no immediate use
Or
2) Use MobiKwik @3% for real, routine expenses
Or
3) Let go of 1 card

You're right. I see 3 options
1) Splurge where Amex is accepted, load GVs to meet targets even if there is no immediate use
Or
2) Use MobiKwik @3% for real, routine expenses
Or
3) Let go of 1 card
Option 3 lets on peace of mind without compromising on benefits significantly

Till the amount is within range no issues. If it’s more vis a vis limit sanctioned, frequently and no variety of spends are there on card then chances of financial review getting triggered is there. Have one peer who had his card blocked for two months till his review concluded successfully.

Back