• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What happens if I send money to friend as rent?

CardShard

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I have used NoBroker rent pay before. Assuming reward > markup, is there a downside? Any income tax implication on "friend"?

Yes, if you are providing someone's PAN details while paying rent, it might reflect as earnings in the receiver's IT calculation, which is not what you would want.. There were some reports on twitter about this, some people saw this income auto-filled while filing IT returns.

Yes, if you are providing someone's PAN details while paying rent, it might reflect as earnings in the receiver's IT calculation, which is not what you would want.. There were some reports on twitter about this, some people saw this income auto-filled while filing IT returns.
Exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. PAN is not mandatory on NoBroker. Is there some other way for IT Dept to flag these transactions? Also, who reports to IT Dept in such cases? NoBroker or the Bank? How does this work if you're paying rent to yourself?

seedhi baat no bakwaas - karte sab hai batata koi nhi
Haha, I am trying to justify Magnus for myself, but my spends are nowhere close to 1L per month.

What if a wrong PAN is provided[other details being correct]? Anyone tried this yet?

Exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. PAN is not mandatory on NoBroker. Is there some other way for IT Dept to flag these transactions? Also, who reports to IT Dept in such cases? NoBroker or the Bank? How does this work if you're paying rent to yourself?

seedhi baat no bakwaas - karte sab hai batata koi nhi
Haha, I am trying to justify Magnus for myself, but my spends are nowhere close to 1L per month.
Banks report to the Income Tax Department.

What amount you are planning to send to friend via rent payment?

Keep this in mind, credit card payments of Rs. 10 Lakhs and above in a year, are reported to IT department.

Banks report to the Income Tax Department.

What amount you are planning to send to friend via rent payment?

Keep this in mind, credit card payments of Rs. 10 Lakhs and above in a year, are reported to IT department.
I plan to send 1L every month for 3 months(to make my card FYF), then never again. I hope it won't be a major flag. My "friend" is a housewife, so unemployed. Thoughts?

I plan to send 1L every month for 3 months(to make my card FYF), then never again. I hope it won't be a major flag. My "friend" is a housewife, so unemployed. Thoughts?
No wrong Flag or anything but her bank might ask about these high value transactions. Because some banks ask that. If these types of transactions happen in her account normally then it's okay.

PAN is not mandatory on NoBroker.
I think it is necessary for rent amount > 8333 ( or, 1 L / year ). To answer the other question asked, if you provide wrong PAN, the person having that PAN might get the shock of his life when filing IT returns. People used to do this earlier, lets say till last year, but things are getting tougher now to use this "rent" hack.

so much trouble for FYF.. how much is the joining fees of card?
Better to use Amazon account(s).. can spend 30k pm per full kyc acc without any charges

I hold DCB.
In my case, I was planning to transfer rent 60k rent to my wife such that it will be 49.5k from redgirraffe and 10.5k from nobroker - on monthly basis after preparing a genuine rental agreement.
I do not want this transfer to get added to her income.

Now after reading the above comment from @pratikjain4 I am having second thoughts.
Is there a way to highlight that the 60k transaction is nothing but a peer to peer payment as she would return that amount back every month to my account using bank transfer?

Back