• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What happens to credit cards when you become an NRI?

xiddy

TF Premier
I am in the process of converting my bank accounts to NRO and opening NRE accounts. Now branches keep telling me that my credit cards will be closed and that I need to apply for a new FD backed credit card with them. But then I see this on their website:

1713971347370.png

So which one is it?

Customer service is clueless as always.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I am in the process of converting my bank accounts to NRO and opening NRE accounts. Now branches keep telling me that my credit cards will be closed and that I need to apply for a new FD backed credit card with them. But then I see this on their website:

1713971347370.png

So which one is it?

They don't have consistent answers for these kind of things ... every Tom, Dick and Harry interprets this rule their own way ..

Practically speaking...

1) If your stay abroad is short term like 2 to 3 years, just leave them as it is and use them while you visit India and pay thru some family bank accounts.

2) If your stay is going to be long term / unknown amount of time then close the bloody cards and have fun abroad...

Nothing happens , if you keep your Cards after you become NRI, max they can do : they can cancel your cards ...

Last edited:

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I have friends who moved abroad and still use their credit cards for better rewards.

Some friends who are living abroad, came to India for a trip, applied for a card and it got approved as well!

Overall, as SSV mentioned, the worst they can do is close your card so if you really want one, you can get one.
If you get one and you're going abroad, you can keep it and shouldn't be an issue.

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

1713971347370.png

So which one is it?

CCs will change when you change your bank status.. However it is not illegal to continue to use them.. Retain for as long as you want.. Open NRI account in a diff bank... In case of same bank they may insist on the change.. NRI is still an I.. so nothing to worry..If you are permanently / long term moving then you should get the changes done.. Short term moves should be fine to retain.. if banks find out they will block the cc.. usage of card for inr transactions is recommended.. only fx transactions also raises a flag... All this is only if absolutely necessary.. else follow protocol and get cards chgd.. which is the right way

Last edited:
Legally speaking,

On attaining the NRI status, one should inform his/her Bank for CONVERSION of all domestic accounts into NR accounts. This includes CCs. Failing which, suitable action can be initiated against the said accounts n account holder (now an NRI).

In practice, if individuals are not following the above guidelines and are happy with such practices, it's their choice. They are playing with GOI guidelines - which might be held against them in future.

Why take a risk ? Always be on the safer side of the law. More so, if you are an NRI and staying abroad.

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Legally speaking,

On attaining the NRI status, one should inform his/her Bank for CONVERSION of all domestic accounts into NR accounts. This includes CCs. Failing which, suitable action can be initiated against the said accounts n account holder (now an NRI).

In practice, if individuals are not following the above guidelines and are happy with such practices, it's their choice. They are playing with GOI guidelines - which might be held against them in future.

Why take a risk ? Always be on the safer side of the law. More so, if you are an NRI and staying abroad.
agree 100% true that

you are legally obliged to inform bank and the cards will be ( in most cases ) closed, you have accepted the tcs as Indian resident for each card.

saving account isn't that problem, if you forgot to inform and will do so in future, considering banks won't close the account over email and you have to be physically in bank.

credit cards are different.

Dragon_slayer

TF Premier
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Your cards will be closed. As cards are only provided to Indian residents
Just to clarify this, banks by itself wont close your card or anything. You have to provide residence change documents and only then they start all this process.

By default there is no way for bank to know that you have changed your residence nor do they care

xiddy

TF Premier
CCs will change when you change your bank status.. However it is not illegal to continue to use them.. Retain for as long as you want.. Open NRI account in a diff bank... In case of same bank they may insist on the change.. NRI is still an I.. so nothing to worry..If you are permanently / long term moving then you should get the changes done.. Short term moves should be fine to retain.. if banks find out they will block the cc.. usage of card for inr transactions is recommended.. only fx transactions also raises a flag... All this is only if absolutely necessary.. else follow protocol and get cards chgd.. which is the right way
I have no intention of using the card abroad. I do wish to continue to use it for local purchases for my family and to use them for international lounge access. Unless I am not allowed to.

Legally speaking,

I have already submitted an application to the banks to update my residential status.

Just to clarify this, banks by itself wont close your card or anything. You have to provide residence change documents and only then they start all this process.

By default there is no way for bank to know that you have changed your residence nor do they care
They are aware of it. I submitted a request to convert all my accounts to NRO and notified the banks where I don't hold an account that my residential status has changed. I guess no further action is required from my end. I am certainly not opening a 5L FD per card to reissue them. They can close it if they want😂

thats how it works worldwide, i could surrender my citizenship and bank won't know anything and continue dealing and use credit cards.

You can purchase property and land because India has over 100 types of id cards. The same applies to other countries; it's based on self-declaration. However, if the government discovers otherwise, you could face hefty fines or even jail time, especially if the judge is not cooperative.

plastikman

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge

1713971347370.png

So which one is it?

You can transfer your Amex cards to new country of residence.

These rules change quite often on a year-to-basis. NRI status, Forex Currency holdings - by Resident Indians while in India and while abroad while travelling, limits on expenses abroad......

It is better n safer to look into the relative websites and comply than to depend blindly on the incorrect/stale experiences of TF members - which may be risky.