• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What will happen in the case of "Initial funding cheque bounce" while Indusind account opening?

Das.N

TF Legend
I wanted to open a Indusind Select account for my sister as I have Select+Legend Combo already.

But while opening the account in the branch offline, they were unable to open that account by digital process because My sister's aadhar card was linked to my phone number and when they proceed, it was showing my existing account and they were unable to proceed further .

So, they suggested to open the account physically by filling the offline form. But the problem was , they wanted a cheque from my sister's account only and said they don't support IMPS/NEFT/UPI/CASH for offline account opening, A cheque is mandatory. We gave them a cheque from my sister's Canara Bank account.

But another problem happened here, My sisters Canara Bank account was opened also when she was a minor and her handwriting changed a lot now. So we went to Canara Bank to update the signature ( same to that which was given to Indusind Bank).

Today, we have got the account opening mail, sms from Indusind.
But, Canara Bank still dishonored the cheque due to signature mismatch.

I instantly called my Indusind BM and described what happened and requested him if we could fund the account digitally as account number, IFSC is already generated. He said he don't fund the account now, The account may be freezed as IP cheque is bounce and he will inform me about it later.

Now, what should we do?
Will the account remain active or automatically be closed by Indusind?
I am bit worried to fund the account now, as the money can stuck there if account is frozen.

Reactions: NCD
As per the BRA Act (Banking Regulation Act) and the NI Act (Negotiable Instruments Act), a banker can not collect the proceeds of an instrument unless he is a customer. And, a customer of one bank can become a customer of another bank only by giving a self drawn cheque - which acts as a proper fulfilment of the requirement of proper introduction.

Hence, these procedures are a must and are unavoidable.

There are about 32 different Acts which a Banker (a banking institution) should know n follow. Right from the major ones like the BRA, the NIA.... to the smaller ones like Stamp Act.

99% of the customers do not know about this. Similarly, 99% of the so-called bankers from Private Banks also do not know about this.

In a majority of Private Banks, banking means only selling (mis-selling) products and somehow managing to enter data into their systems so that work can be done. Most of them are NOT qualified bankers - certified bankers - having passed the mandatory JAIIB n CAIIB exams - specially designed for only banking staff n officers.

Sad, but true.

As per the BRA Act (Banking Regulation Act) and the NI Act (Negotiable Instruments Act), a banker can not collect the proceeds of an instrument unless he is a customer. And, a customer of one bank can become a customer of another bank only by giving a self drawn cheque - which acts as a proper fulfilment of the requirement of proper introduction.

Hence, these procedures are a must and are unavoidable.
Lots of news things can be learnt from you Ramesh sir, infact your words seems to be thought provoking. Kudos to you sir

I'm also curious about this :LOL: When I opened my Kotak account via branch, the account was activated and 100% useable (debit card, net banking and UPI) in 2-3 hours but the initial funding cheque was processed the next day. Had this cheque bounced, what could have happened?

I'm also curious about this :LOL: When I opened my Kotak account via branch, the account was activated and 100% useable (debit card, net banking and UPI) in 2-3 hours but the initial funding cheque was processed the next day. Had this cheque bounced, what could have happened?
Usually, such balances are shown (or marked internally as under lien) as uncleared balances - meaning you can not withdraw or use these funds till they are converted to clear balances. After that cheque/draft/banker's cheque/etc... is cleared thru clearing process, such conversation will take place.

If that instrument is not cleared or stopped at the paying bank level, the recieving bank will do what it deems fit. Either inform the customer or proceed otherwise - legally - to recover - as it depends on a lot of variable scenarios.

Usually, such balances are shown (or marked internally as under lien) as uncleared balances - meaning you can not withdraw or use these funds till they are converted to clear balances. After that cheque/draft/banker's cheque/etc... is cleared thru clearing process, such conversation will take place.

If that instrument is not cleared or stopped at the paying bank level, the recieving bank will do what it deems fit. Either inform the customer or proceed otherwise - legally - to recover - as it depends on a lot of variable scenarios.
Interesting, was always curious about this specific case. Thank you for your insight!

Back