• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Will I have to pay joining charges if I don't activate PNB credit card?

booklover

TF Buzz
Hi all, I got approved for a PNB credit card. I am planning to not activate the card because of the poor service by the bank. Will I have to pay the joining fee?

I haven't received the card yet and it has already been 3 weeks now.

Solution
Ok thanks @imdjay. They have also generated a statement without me even activating the card. The statement has only the joining fees + GST. Can I ignore this?
Then you have a long battle ahead of you. As per RBI guidelines, if you do not activate the card within 30 days of issuance, it will be blocked.

I hope you have not activated the card or generated pin from their PNB genie app.
If not, write an email ASAP to their credit cards team to explain the situation. and let them know that you are not willing to activate the card. And as you have not activated the card, they should not charge the fee. There are two possibilities in that case- they might offer you some reward points/cashback/gv for activating the card. Or...
Ok thanks @imdjay. They have also generated a statement without me even activating the card. The statement has only the joining fees + GST. Can I ignore this?
Then you have a long battle ahead of you. As per RBI guidelines, if you do not activate the card within 30 days of issuance, it will be blocked.

I hope you have not activated the card or generated pin from their PNB genie app.
If not, write an email ASAP to their credit cards team to explain the situation. and let them know that you are not willing to activate the card. And as you have not activated the card, they should not charge the fee. There are two possibilities in that case- they might offer you some reward points/cashback/gv for activating the card. Or, they simply deny the request.
If they deny it, you can raise a complaint to RBI Ombudsman. But again, if the card also starts showing in your CIBIL and you do not pay the statement bill on time. You will have to fight for that too.

If I was in your situation, I would have escalated this to the customer care team and HO team. If they have not responded on time. I would have paid the bill just before the statement's due date. then would have continued my fight. But when you activate the card, it's game over.

Solution
PNB is above RBI rules it seems. Their statement generation date is 16th of every month. If someone's card is approved on 10th also they generate the statement on 16th and charge the joining fees whether card account is activated or not does not matter to them. My physical card was delivered after 7-10 days of first bill payment.

Back