• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

American Express Gold

Vishnubs

TF Buzz
Any tricks for reaching 15 L charge limit on AMEX gold charge card within 18 months ? Recently got one with around 2.5L charge limit. Not sure how frequent we should use and how much to spend to reach those targets.

Vishnubs

TF Buzz
I think its quite dynamic in nature based on many parameters.

When I got the card and made a few transactions, it showed around 6L within 2 weeks of usage.
And what is the limit showing on CIBIL ? 6L or else your highest spend ?

Most merchants show POS machine error, like AMEX TD not configured, transaction declined etc. is that a trick by them to avoid high commision ?

Superxan

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
And what is the limit showing on CIBIL ? 6L or else your highest spend ?
I cannot answer that yet, for me Gold card account is not yet reflecting in CIBIL because I changed the billing cycle few days before it got generated.

Most merchants show POS machine error, like AMEX TD not configured, transaction declined etc. is that a trick by them to avoid high commision ?
Regarding POS machines, once you start using Amex cards, you'll know which merchants would accept Amex or not just by looking at the device. Most of the time, if it declines or doesn't work, its mostly because its not supported by the device. Only very few merchants disable it, if its supported by the device.

Vishnubs

TF Buzz
I cannot answer that yet, for me Gold card account is not yet reflecting in CIBIL because I changed the billing cycle few days before it got generated.

Regarding POS machines, once you start using Amex cards, you'll know which merchants would accept Amex or not just by looking at the device. Most of the time, if it declines or doesn't work, its mostly because its not supported by the device. Only very few merchants disable it, if its supported by the device.
It was HDFC POS at a local medical shop, also Pinelabs has same issue. I went to a Mufti retail store, even in hospital reception the Pinelabs machine declined AMEX. Guess is they have some option to do it on purpose

Vishnubs

TF Buzz
I think Gold card is overrated. I never will take, if I had to I will go for Platinum Charge card
Hmm, Iam not ok to pay 60k annual fee. I am not a frequent traveler, most spends are on groceries, retail outlets etc, so happy with Gold for now. But just wanted to know if anyone used their concierge

Superxan

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
It was HDFC POS at a local medical shop, also Pinelabs has same issue. I went to a Mufti retail store, even in hospital reception the Pinelabs machine declined AMEX. Guess is they have some option to do it on purpose
That's quite strange, the Pinelabs (white) machine should take Amex, I've not seen failure/declined transactions with that one till date. Next one which works is like @plastikman mentioned, Paytm machines.

HDFC POS have a few different ones, some are supported, some need special approvals to enable Amex (they use ancient methods to approve using forms, etc..). Unless that medical shop is a branded franchise, I wouldn't bet on them supporting Amex yet.

Vishnubs

TF Buzz
That's quite strange, the Pinelabs (white) machine should take Amex, I've not seen failure/declined transactions with that one till date. Next one which works is like @plastikman mentioned, Paytm machines.

HDFC POS have a few different ones, some are supported, some need special approvals to enable Amex (they use ancient methods to approve using forms, etc..). Unless that medical shop is a branded franchise, I wouldn't bet on them supporting Amex yet.
Both in Mufti store and a local hospital, they had white pinelabs device, it declined AMEX. I think users are configuring the software to avoid AMEX payments. Not sure if big chains like Fortis, Manipal, Apollo hospitals accept AMEX.

Since its dynamic in nature the limit goes up & down with regards to your spends. My charge limit was 7L then I did not use the card for 4-7 months and it dropped to 4L. The worst part is they dont even do match with other CL's of cards.

helloworld

TF Legend
Hmm, Iam not ok to pay 60k annual fee. I am not a frequent traveler, most spends are on groceries, retail outlets etc, so happy with Gold for now. But just wanted to know if anyone used their concierge

let me know how much % you're getting with annual fee.

BVC

TF Legend
TF Family
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Any tricks for reaching 15 L charge limit on AMEX gold charge card within 18 months ? Recently got one with around 2.5L charge limit. Not sure how frequent we should use and how much to spend to reach those targets.
I guess Amex displays charge cards limit till 10L only. After that you get error continuously.

I have a charge card limit more than 10L confirmed by Customer care but if you enter amount more than 10L on checking spending power you’ll get this message on the attached image.

Attachments

• IMG_2756.jpeg
    IMG_2756.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 34

BVC

TF Legend
TF Family
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Coming to your question to reach in 18 months to 15L and spending pattern,

There is no fixed criteria and spending thresholds. I have reached more than 10L from 3L within 3.5 months. It’s dynamic if your utilisation is high and past payments are good you’ll get more limit. Next month if you use less limit will decrease.

AFAIK Plat charge customers will have minimum limit of 10L, I got my Plat charge card recently need to observe this point.