• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

American express international transactions declining.

robe_expel

TF Buzz
Amex declining on international sites like Amazon.com, ebay.com even after 3d verification (safekey).

international transactions are enabled, using the 4 digit Cvv on the front while transacting.

while other visa and MasterCard works without any problem.

Customer service could not see any decline on my card.

Is anyone able to use amex on international sites.

If yes then what's your city and isp?

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I've been paying at multiple international sites using Amex and never had an issue.

How old is your card? Can you ensure the limit for international transactions in your settings is not zero?
There are multiple limit options - overall limit, per transaction limit and so on.

robe_expel

TF Buzz
I've been paying at multiple international sites using Amex and never had an issue.

How old is your card? Can you ensure the limit for international transactions in your settings is not zero?
There are multiple limit options - overall limit, per transaction limit and so on.
1 month old, no limit for international transaction.

what's your city and isp?

aayusharyan

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I have been using AmEx to pay internationally for years now. A few things you can check.

1. Is this a recurring payment? (Because of RBI shenanigans it won't work, use something else).
2. Is international txns enabled?
3. Is the txn amount less than allowed amount of txn?
4. Use the 4 digit CVV internationally, 3 digit one domestically.

Do let me know how it goes, I have used both Charge and Credit Cards and they work flawlessly for me.

If it still fails, create a PayPal account.

robe_expel

TF Buzz
I have been using AmEx to pay internationally for years now. A few things you can check.

1. Is this a recurring payment? (Because of RBI shenanigans it won't work, use something else).
2. Is international txns enabled?
3. Is the txn amount less than allowed amount of txn?
4. Use the 4 digit CVV internationally, 3 digit one domestically.

Do let me know how it goes, I have used both Charge and Credit Cards and they work flawlessly for me.

If it still fails, create a PayPal account.
not a recurring payment, international txns enabled, no limit on nternational txns, used the 4 digit cvv, it works with paypal but declines everywhere else internationally like amazon.com, ebay.com even after 3d verification (safekey)

aayusharyan

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
not a recurring payment, international txns enabled, no limit on nternational txns, used the 4 digit cvv, it works with paypal but declines everywhere else internationally like amazon.com, ebay.com even after 3d verification (safekey)
I don't have a fixed city and ISP, I keep travelling a lot and many times I am behind a VPN even (I use Proton VPN). So, I don't think it;s that reason.
So, when you enter the OTP for 3DV, what screen do you see?

robe_expel

TF Buzz
I don't have a fixed city and ISP, I keep travelling a lot and many times I am behind a VPN even (I use Proton VPN). So, I don't think it;s that reason.
So, when you enter the OTP for 3DV, what screen do you see?
3dv completes and websites will say transaction declined

aayusharyan

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
3dv completes and websites will say transaction declined
Yeap, then it's not a IP block issue. If it were like that, then you will see something like Access Denied or like a white screen.

Oh, also, I just remembered, with Amex, when I got the Charge Card, it kept declining international txns till I did 1 POS txn. idk why but their customer service person said thats a way to "activate" the card.