• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Gold Charge Card annual renewal fee waiver

sjmajumder

TF Ace
I have been using Amex Gold Charge Card for 11 years. First 8 years I got unconditional full waiver. Last 2 years I got full waiver on spending 60K in 90 days.

This year it has become tougher. First time I called after statement was generated I got 3 offers:
  1. 50% waiver
  2. Pay 100% and get 10,000 RP
  3. Spend 1.5 lakhs in 90 days for full waiver
I mentioned about last 2 year's offer and also said I will go with it if I get the same offer but nothing better was offered in spite of a hold and consulting with seniors. I did not accept any and said let me think over it.

I called back again yesterday (1 day before due date) and again the same 3 options were given. I said I am unable to accept any (did not say that I will cancel the card or anything like that). The executive kept on saying that since you are with us for 11 years if there is any possibility of giving a better offer I will never hold it back. Finally he put me on hold and consulted seniors and came back with final offer of spending 1L in 90 days for full waiver. I might have been able to take it down little bit further but wasn't in the mood and accepted it, completely aware that next year it might go up even more :(

I didn't receive any fee waiver option. It was disappointing since I had some disputes related to rewards credit as well as other service issues of the customer care team. I didn't receive bonus reward points even after waiting for over 8 months. Furthermore, I even shared the necessary screen recording of my transaction, still they didn't honour the points. I no longer trust Amex for high-ticket transactions.

I didn't receive any fee waiver option.
apprx. spends and total years of relationship.

It was disappointing since I had some disputes related to rewards credit as well as other service issues of the customer care team. I didn't receive bonus reward points even after waiting for over 8 months. Furthermore, I even shared the necessary screen recording of my transaction, still they didn't honour the points. I no longer trust Amex for high-ticket transactions.
could you share them, it might helpful to others.

apprx. spends and total years of relationship.

could you share them, it might helpful to others.
I had followed all the prescribed steps - clearing cookies & caches, purchasing via reward multiplier portal and finally having an empty shopping cart on Flipkart before making the purchase. I shopped a laptop which was a permitted item for the offer. All these steps were recorded and sent to them as proof. They called me after 8 months (after me repeatedly chasing them for a response) They said that I deserved those points but unfortunately the transaction was not recorded at the merchant's end, hence the credit of bonus points will not be possible. WTF even! Is that even should be a reason! Pathetic!

I had followed all the prescribed steps - clearing cookies & caches, purchasing via reward multiplier portal and finally having an empty shopping cart on Flipkart before making the purchase. I shopped a laptop which was a permitted item for the offer. All these steps were recorded and sent to them as proof. They called me after 8 months (after me repeatedly chasing them for a response) They said that I deserved those points but unfortunately the transaction was not recorded at the merchant's end, hence the credit of bonus points will not be possible. WTF even! Is that even should be a reason! Pathetic!
Has the laptop been billed n delivered ?
Amex raised the bill ?
And, you settled that bill ?

If the naswer to ALL the above is YES, then you will get the points.

Oh, bad luck. Let us know if issue resolved.

But if FK not paying any commision to them for this purchase, these people can't payback to us.

Affiliate programs always risk, hence its better purchase gift voucher (few minths before) rather using them. Cashkaro decent but still its an affiliate program and they also can say merchant not considered this transaction.

But why you used reward multiplier affiliate program to wait 4 months.

reward multiplier..

5x = atleast if we consider 1MR = .50p then its 5% only.

there are lot of cards that provides 5% on FK.

Oh, bad luck. Let us know if issue resolved.

But if FK not paying any commision to them for this purchase, these people can't payback to us.

Affiliate programs always risk, hence its better purchase gift voucher (few minths before) rather using them. Cashkaro decent but still its an affiliate program and they also can say merchant not considered this transaction.

But why you used reward multiplier affiliate program to wait 4 months.

reward multiplier..

5x = atleast if we consider 1MR = .50p then its 5% only.

there are lot of cards that provides 5% on FK.
I lost out on 4000 odd bonus points but Amex lost out on me.

I too got the same offer. Can you please confirm if they count wallet load in this spend offer?
If intention is wallet load, take another offer like 'pay full fee and get points' or 'half the payment' etc.

Avoid unnecessary hassle and also its difficult to spend on wallets..

Sensible option is to use wallet load judiciously. You have 90 days to make your spends. Don't rush and end up loading your wallet with 3% charges.
I think, there should be fixed avenue for spending for AMEX otherwise it will be a hassle, means you know where it will be accepted and for what type of spend you will use. Like I have decided for my and my wife's NPS, I will use it

But the problem I am facing is that overload of Amazon gift vouchers...I am getting it from different other channels as free gift, cashkaro etc...Hence, it is getting little difficult to spend it as gift card you can not spend everywhere now
You need to buy Amazon Pay Gift Voucher and not Shopping Voucher. You can use it for everything including all bill payments.

Btw, I also took up the same offer. I asked them how does it work to which they said that once you do a 1L spend anytime, at the time of next bill generation you will automatically get a refund of the fee (You don't have to wait for 90 days). What happens if we do a cancellable booking of 1L and then cancel it later after the bill is generated? 😅
This actually happened with me. I had booked a flight in Apr/May for August. Air India express canceled the flight. The money got refunded 😂😂😂. While the RP was reversed back, there was no effect on the bonus monthly RP and the spend target already achieved.

Thanks to Air India Express, I booked alternate flight with Indigo and was fortunate enough to meet the legend of Indian Tennis on that flight. (Check my profile).

Back