• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Gold Charge Card annual renewal fee waiver

sjmajumder

TF Ace
I have been using Amex Gold Charge Card for 11 years. First 8 years I got unconditional full waiver. Last 2 years I got full waiver on spending 60K in 90 days.

This year it has become tougher. First time I called after statement was generated I got 3 offers:
  1. 50% waiver
  2. Pay 100% and get 10,000 RP
  3. Spend 1.5 lakhs in 90 days for full waiver
I mentioned about last 2 year's offer and also said I will go with it if I get the same offer but nothing better was offered in spite of a hold and consulting with seniors. I did not accept any and said let me think over it.

I called back again yesterday (1 day before due date) and again the same 3 options were given. I said I am unable to accept any (did not say that I will cancel the card or anything like that). The executive kept on saying that since you are with us for 11 years if there is any possibility of giving a better offer I will never hold it back. Finally he put me on hold and consulted seniors and came back with final offer of spending 1L in 90 days for full waiver. I might have been able to take it down little bit further but wasn't in the mood and accepted it, completely aware that next year it might go up even more :(

Gold charge card was due for renewal and retention offer given was below 2 offers.
1.) 50% of fees (pay 2250 + tax )
2.) Spend 1lakh in 90 days for full reversal.

No other options available like 10k bonus points for full fees payment.
I asked for bonus points but they don't have thus option.

Spends was around 1.2 lakh in 1st Yr.

So which would be a better option ?

Gold charge card was due for renewal and retention offer given was below 2 offers.

Depends on your needs...

If you have any expense coming up it is better to go for the second option else go for the 1st.

I would go for full reversal offer. Max out reward multiplier across Brands. If you are planning to redeem for gold collection apart from Taj Vouchers then go for partial fee waiver. It’s always ideal to make use of charge cards for their offers apart from spend rewards to get the best out of them.

I would go for full reversal offer. Max out reward multiplier across Brands. If you are planning to redeem for gold collection apart from Taj Vouchers then go for partial fee waiver. It’s always ideal to make use of charge cards for their offers apart from spend rewards to get the best out of them.
Gyftr Reward multiplier will give 5x for gold card.Basically 5x is 2.5 % returns for vouchers.
What other benefits is worth in gold charge other than 1k bonus on 6k spends ?

I am supposed to get 5k spend based bonus points in Oct , so have to keep card active.

So 3 months period would start from when annual fees is charged right ? Any ides.

Gyftr Reward multiplier will give 5x for gold card.Basically 5x is 2.5 % returns for vouchers.

I am supposed to get 5k spend based bonus points in Oct , so have to keep card active.

So 3 months period would start from when annual fees is charged right ? Any ides.
You value 1 MR point as 0.25 rupis?

Biggest benefit is hotel collection. One stay through 2+1 night offer (apart from 100$ hotel credit) is enough to recoup the original fee 5-6 times over. If you intend to redeem MR points of Gold charge card for gold collection on a regular basis then I would recommend to close it off. Unless one is into Taj or Mariott (especially Mariott) charge cards don’t make sense owing to no certain retention offer. This is applicable across almost all cards except MRCC in Amex. Charge cards are lifestyle cards and it’s ROI varies widely basis one’s lifestyle spends.

Back