• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Platinum Reserve - reimagined - updated version

Slayer

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
AmEx FOS guy mis sold my father Plat Reserve last year and he kept spending on it to reach the retarded previous 5L milestone while ignoring Plat travel not calculating the value prop because more expensive card should translate into better reward (rate) alas here we go

drsel

TF Legend
AmEx FOS guy mis sold my father Plat Reserve last year and he kept spending on it to reach the retarded previous 5L milestone while ignoring Plat travel not calculating the value prop because more expensive card should translate into better reward (rate) alas here we go
It's crazy how Amex gives the highest return for their lowest and cheapest cards-- MRCC and Gold charge

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I personally don't think it's shit spending 72k to get 19k MR is a good deal considering the most you can get out of Plat travel is 64k MR (most people would be able to get at most 52k) on by spending 4L

26.67% vs 16%
Did you consider annual fee?

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Gold charge is lower than Plat Travel
So , you are getting Re1 per MR???

Look at this thread ..discussed here...

Slayer

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Lower doesn't translate to BETTER
Art Jagyasini Singh GIF

Slayer

TF Legend
VIP Lounge

Had redeemed 100k points for a 3 night stay in Singapore during peak Chinese New Year + Valentine's day this year, I don't exactly remember but the rack rate at that time was above 400 SGD so with 30% bonus from MB i was able to squeeze out 1 MR = 1 rupis

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Had redeemed 100k points for a 3 night stay in Singapore during peak Chinese New Year + Valentine's day this year, I don't exactly remember but the rack rate at that time was above 400 SGD so with 30% bonus from MB i was able to squeeze out 1 MR = 1 rupis
Okay, good on you for your redemption.. and I am not sure whether majority of users get this need / opportunity most of the the times...

But even then, you need to deduct annual fee to get the actual return rate ..
BTW I never compared GC with Plat Travel

Last edited:

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
BTW, Gold card is sh*t.
Gold is actually one of the best cards in Amex portfolio , the earning capacity is sometimes higher than Plat travel ,as it gets 5x on reward multiplier. A meagre spend of 20k(6k + 14k) a month on apay and other vouchers would yield 36k MR points that's about that's like 15% MR return.

The annual fees is easily ofset with this and on top of that ,Amex generally offset atleast a part of it with some more MR's.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Gold is actually one of the best cards in Amex portfolio , the earning capacity is sometimes higher than Plat travel ,as it gets 5x on reward multiplier. A meagre spend of 20k(6k + 14k) a month on apay and other vouchers would yield 36k MR points that's about that's like 15% MR return.

The annual fees is easily ofset with this and on top of that ,Amex generally offset atleast a part of it with some more MR's.

How many cards to be used in buying APAY GVs.. and apart from that we may not need other GVs from RM..
If we dont use GC, in RM the value goes down deep south..
.and return rate also depends on the redemption options as well.
Not everyone needs or uses for hotel redemptions / international travel every time...
For card usage and redemption options, we need to consider a mix of different options.... not always 100% best case scenarios..

In otherwords GC forces us to spend on RM, if we don't spend on GVs of RM then GC's return will be just normal at the best...

In nutshell, for GC to be useful:
1) Spends - have to be used in RM and
2) Redemption: Hotels and Flights..

The above two conditions must be met ...
If one of them fails, GC fails in achieving whatever returns it is boasted for...

If we look at trend Amex these days., once Amex implements max of 5k / 10K APAY GV per card on RM site. it will become much more difficult to gain value..

Last edited:
How many cards to be used in buying APAY GVs.. and we may not need other GVs from RM..
If we dont use GC, in RM the value goes down deep south..
.and return rate also depends on the redemption options as well.
Not everyone needs or uses for hotel redemptions / international travel every time...
For card usage and redemption options, we need to consider a mix of different options.... not always 100% best case scenarios..

In otherwords GC forces us to spend on RM, if we don't spend on GVs of RM then GC's return will be just normal at the best...

In nutshell, for GC to be useful:
1) Spends - have to be used in RM and
2) Redemption: Hotels and Flights..
The above two conditions are must,
If one of them fails, GC fails in achieving whatever returns it is boasted for...

If we look at trend Amex these days., once Amex implements max of 5k / 10K APAY GV per card on RM site. it will become much more difficult to gain value..
rm means?

gud mrng founder

Reactions: SSV

amitr29

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Totally agree.. Don't understand why people write sh**t when they don't understand the value. In the end, we are comparing cards within Amex portfolio and Gold Charge definitely stands out as one of the best

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Totally agree.. Don't understand why people write sh**t when they don't understand the value. In the end, we are comparing cards within Amex portfolio and Gold Charge definitely stands out as one of the best
Non Cash returns for lifestyle users - Plat Charge + year 1 with joining benefits outstanding and incomparable returns

MR Rewards for Mariott - mrcc & gold

Travel + Misc - Plat Travel

Plat reserve is actually stuck somewhere.. needs to be reimagined again.. current imagination is not enough :)

amex has gd cards.. become great as well in some situations.. not bad to have.. and if u manage an ltf then super!!

Naysayers always exist.. its their dna..however many have a pov that should be accepted if they spk numbers and not emotionally.

Last edited:

This thread considers value of 1 MR at 33p which is very low. While this might be true for some people, Gold card compliments Amex trifecta perfectly, and for me personally, 1 MR comes out to more than ₹1 when I transfer it to Marriott Bonvoy, and Amex's 30% bonus offer is cherry on top. So Amex Gold is definitely a valuable card.