• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Backup card for HDFC Diners Club Black

nvzard

TF Buzz
Earlier HDFC Regalia was my daily driver for offline spending but I recently got it upgraded to Diners Club Black. This card has good rewards but offline acceptance is not at par with Visa/Mastercard.

Here is my usage pattern:

HDFC DCB: LTF. Purely for Smartbuy vendors, lounge access, foreign spends and dine-out(swiggy). I use it offline wherever it's accepted (3.33% rewards rate)
ICICI Rubyx: LTF. This is what I am using right now when DCB doesn't work. Seems worthless.
SBI Cashback: For 5% cashback on random online payments without offers.
Airtel Axis: For Airtel bills and frequent Swiggy payments.
ICICI Amazon: Only for Amazon. This usage is being substituted by my DCB.
SBI SimplyClick: Worthless card. Don't use it anywhere. Not closing since it was my first card. Not LTF.

I am looking for a card that can be a backup card if DCB doesn't work offline.
I think Axis Magnus won't be suitable for me since my spending on it would be less than 1L. I don't think Amex MRCC would also benefit me as well since its acceptance is also low.

Looking forwards to suggestions and a review of my usage pattern.

Earlier HDFC Regalia was my daily driver for offline spending but I recently got it upgraded to Diners Club Black. This card has good rewards but offline acceptance is not at par with Visa/Mastercard.

HDFC DCB: LTF. Purely for Smartbuy vendors, lounge access, foreign spends and dine-out(swiggy). I use it offline wherever it's accepted (3.33% rewards rate)
ICICI Rubyx: LTF. This is what I am using right now when DCB doesn't work. Seems worthless.
SBI SimplyClick: Worthless card. Don't use it anywhere. Not closing since it was my first card. Not LTF.

I think Axis Magnus won't be suitable for me since my spending on it would be less than 1L. I don't think Amex MRCC would also benefit me as well since its acceptance is also low.

IDFC First bank CC you can go for and LTF Tata Neu for UPI and POS swipe, rupay varaint.

If you are using Vistara frequently then, I would recommend Axis Vistara Infinite Card else IDFC can be a good option.

A rupay card for UPI seems like a good idea but I am hoping Visa/MasterCard will enable this sooner or later.

Since my spending would be low, I don't think it'd be worth getting a card with an annual fee for a ~ 2% cashback.
Both Axis Ace and Vistara are out of the picture since Vistara doesn't have good flights from my city. Anyway, axis has devalued its lounges but I have DCB for that.

I haven't really explored IDFC First Cards but as of now, LTF Tata Neu Rupay seems like a good option but would HDFC issue 2 cards?

A rupay card for UPI seems like a good idea but I am hoping Visa/MasterCard will enable this sooner or later.

Since my spending would be low, I don't think it'd be worth getting a card with an annual fee for a ~ 2% cashback.
Both Axis Ace and Vistara are out of the picture since Vistara doesn't have good flights from my city. Anyway, axis has devalued its lounges but I have DCB for that.

I haven't really explored IDFC First Cards but as of now, LTF Tata Neu Rupay seems like a good option but would HDFC issue 2 cards?

Yes HDFC will issue 2 cards. One primary and one co-branded.
I already hold regalia and tata neu from HDFC

I know it's exciting to suggest new cards but for the spending you describe, I think you have too many already. I would suggest using the ICICI Amazon or Airtel Axis card wherever the DCB fails.

Over a period of 6 months to a year, you could also try and upgrade the DCB (despite the LTF) to an Infinia - make it the primary - and then close some of the less rewarding cards at that point.

I know it's exciting to suggest new cards but for the spending you describe, I think you have too many already. I would suggest using the ICICI Amazon or Airtel Axis card wherever the DCB fails.

Over a period of 6 months to a year, you could also try and upgrade the DCB (despite the LTF) to an Infinia - make it the primary - and then close some of the less rewarding cards at that point.
What a wise answer. I absolutely agree with you. Will stick to ICICI Amazon for that 1% cashback on POS transactions.

Good suggestion with Infinia. That's what I was planning to do, either Magnus or Infinia once my spends reaches > 1L/month.

Hi,

Standard chartered ultimate card will use backup of dcb card

My opinion...keep spending on Rubyx and upgrade it to Sapphiro or emerald.
Since you are not interested in Rupay ( which could have been a nice secondary option)...use this to upgrade to higher cards one by one....starting from icici :D

Other cards you can try for (LTF)
Idfc wealth
AU zenith ( try swipe up program)

After upgrading to DCB Metal
I obtained Tata Neu. And also LTF Swiggy world/Master so using Neu and Swiggy card as backup

Focussing ony these 3 from HDFC and avoiding spends any other card to be able to reach spend for criteria for Infinia.

I am Assuming that if I spend 8L in 6months (combined among these 3 HDFC Cards) I will become eligible for Infinia.

Can someone confirm or correct my assumption that 8L spread in 3 HDFC Cards sharing same limit will make me eligible for Infinia. Will I have to close one of those cards to achieve higher limit

Back